2020 Allant + 8S Battery Issues

I had the opposite problem. My battery lock wouldn’t open, but it charged and has always worked perfectly. My local Trek guy got it open, adjusted everything (within 2 hours) and it has worked perfectly since. I’ve never had any other issue with my Allant +7 and in my opinion the Allant family is great!

My allant+ 8s has been perfect bought in Jan 2020, have 2000 miles on it. Only app software issues very minor with Cobi. Compss off 90 degrees snd contact list showing different contacts.

Very nice setup, I have the same bike too and have already 800miles on it and it's been flawless.

I'm new to e-bikes so sorry for the newbie question but where did you get the extra handlebars that connect to the end grips? , I've been looking for those to change posture during long rides but I dont know what their called exactly.

Very nice setup, I have the same bike too and have already 800miles on it and it's been flawless.

I'm new to e-bikes so sorry for the newbie question but where did you get the extra handlebars that connect to the end grips? , I've been looking for those to change posture during long rides but I dont know what their called exactly.
Bar ends? I got mine @ Amazon...Profile Design Bar Ends
B85E9B02-CD36-4739-9FF6-051C55A90966.jpeg

Last edited:
Sometimes when I hit a big pothole the bike will show an error (could be 606 -- sorry don't know) and turn off for 1-2 seconds. Then it comes back without me doing anything. I assume the battery is moving and temporarily disconnecting.

I now have over 4,500 miles and have had no issues at all. I did replace the chain just to make sure I prolonged the life of the rest of the gear set.
Very happy with upgraded firmware giving 85 newton meters of power now.

Last edited:
I am going to raise the ante a bit on loose Allant +8S batteries 🤣...

Picked up brand new bike last Friday evening after work. Had dinner plans so only did two spins around the block. Saturday morning, maiden voyage planned, loosely a 20 miler I had done dozens of times before on my Powerfly 7.

Half mile from home, the battery self-ejects onto the street at about 15 mph, lands paint side down and skido as I hit the brakes thinking that slow motion “nooooooooo......”. It keeps skidding in slow motion toward the curb and just as the momentum is slowing slides perfectly into a sewer! Gretzky himself couldn’t have put in the corner like that!

Lessoned learned all around. 1. Trek has a history of these bad battery latches. 2. You CAN pry up a manhole cover with your bare hands if your $900 battery serves as motivation, and clamber down to recover it.

3. My LBS was great. They filed a claim and Trek is replacing the latch with the “revised” version, and that battery and faceplate. Problem is it will 2 months until the battery comes in. In the interim the shop technician tightened the latch and a Velcro strap is serving backup. My LBS even offered to take parts off a new inventory bike if I really was upset with the wait but I know they have very little inventory these days and did not want them to lose a $4k+ sale of a limited availability model when my bike was now functional fine, just scruffed up.

I think I have a good combo of bikes now, my Powerfly 7 for trails and rough days, Allant for speedier street riding and touring.

My Allant 9 had the hardware latch update recently. The Battery now ejects properly and it seems fixed though I’m sidelined with surgery

Hey, we Allant owners paid a premium price for a premium product made by a respected top tier company, that has a great reputation for support and standing behind their product.

If there is anything not right with it, avoid messing with it yourself. Rather, just bring it in for them to make right. In my experience they will do so as quickly as possible with little or no cost to the owner.

Patience and bringing the bike in multiple times may be needed at first. Avoid getting frustrated and just accept this as part of the new bike process. You will be rewarded with a highly reliable bike that is a pure pleasure to ride.

After a bumpy start, about four visits to the shop in the first month, my Allant 9.9 has been one of the most trouble free bikes, E or otherwise, that I have ever owned and a joy to ride every single time.

Bought an Allant 8s a week ago. Just got back from my first ride on it, and my first ride of the season. It's a keeper!. Controls, shifter and brakes are well placed, so I didn't need to retrain "muscle memory". Tomorrow I'll test it on the local killer hill, over 18% grade.

Has anyone fitted a handlebar bag to an Allant?

I put the Baramind City shock-absorbing handlebar on my 9.9s. I give a nice added compliance in the front end with no steering compromise at all. It does much, not all, of the comfort added by a suspension fork.

Hey, we Allant owners paid a premium price for a premium product made by a respected top tier company, that has a great reputation for support and standing behind their product.

If there is anything not right with it, avoid messing with it yourself. Rather, just bring it in for them to make right. In my experience they will do so as quickly as possible with little or no cost to the owner.

Patience and bringing the bike in multiple times may be needed at first. Avoid getting frustrated and just accept this as part of the new bike process. You will be rewarded with a highly reliable bike that is a pure pleasure to ride.

After a bumpy start, about four visits to the shop in the first month, my Allant 9.9 has been one of the most trouble free bikes, E or otherwise, that I have ever owned and a joy to ride every single time.
Although I agree with you in principle, I have to say that how can a Trek dealer who is aware of a retrofit or modification allow a new bike to leave the floor without first performing the service/fixes as known..or are you saying, "let it out the door and if nothing happens or no complaints then we don't have to do anything"...
No different than any other product with a known defect that issues a recall......
PROACTIVE and not REACTIVE is the preferred course of action.
So anyway STL eBiker, I experienced the EXACT same issue of the battery not locking into place and it flew off my bike also ( an Allant +9s, a long time ago)....my point being if you search this forum you will read about it you'll have done your homework and asked the selling dealer if it was addressed or not prior to taking delivery.
And, even though Trek is a fantastic company and goes the extra mile for the end user I find it deplorable that your bike had a known "fix" and it was allowed to go out the door without the retrofit.
In conclusion, the fact still remains you either have a fantastic LBS or not, and you gotta ask a lot of questions and do a lot of homework before you plunk down thousands of $$$.
That is my experience and 2 cents.

Last edited:
My latch did quite the opposite and wouldn’t open. Took my Trek guy about an hour to release the battery and adjust the system. Been fine the last 1000 miles.

Although I agree with you in principle, I have to say that how can a Trek dealer who is aware of a retrofit or modification allow a new bike to leave the floor without first performing the service/fixes as known..or are you saying, "let it out the door and if nothing happens or no complaints then we don't have to do anything"...
No different than any other product with a known defect that issues a recall......
PROACTIVE and not REACTIVE is the preferred course of action.
So anyway STL eBiker, I experienced the EXACT same issue of the battery not locking into place and it flew off my bike also ( an Allant +9s, a long time ago)....my point being if you search this forum you will read about it you'll have done your homework and asked the selling dealer if it was addressed or not prior to taking delivery.
And, even though Trek is a fantastic company and goes the extra mile for the end user I find it deplorable that your bike had a known "fix" and it was allowed to go out the door without the retrofit.
In conclusion, the fact still remains you either have a fantastic LBS or not, and you gotta ask a lot of questions and do a lot of homework before you plunk down thousands of $$$.
That is my experience and 2 cents.
You are correct, this was the employee’s oversight.

When I purchased my allant8s the staff at the trek lbs was superb however they were very limited in their knowledge of ebikes in general. This was March 2020.

I was expecting the same issue when I went to go pick my allant and poof there it was staring at me in the face at the lbs after I purchased it and being assembled ready for me to take home.The battery wasn’t seated flush. I knew about it because of your threads and this forum. I refused to take it until it was fixed. The employee said it was fine but I insisted it needed adjustment. Later in the week they called me and said I was correct after talking to corporate they were sent a new lock and did adjustments to the locking mechanism. When I went again to pick it up to finally take it home the battery rib was seated flat and flush into the frame as it is intended. That was that and have never had a problem after 2300 miles.

They also didn’t know about the 85NM torque update last summer. When I told them they looked at me like I had five heads. Had to show them on Bosch’s website. After that and slightly embarrassed they sheepishly updated my motor to the 85NM update.

Amazing - hearing about batteries falling out and landing on the street while riding! I've never even heard of anyone having that problem with the model of cheap hub drive bike that I bought. I have a Trek hybrid standard bike and a Trek dealer that's within a 2 hour round trip, and I was considering Allant 7s or 8s a year or so out when I choose to add a mid-drive bike to my stable, but this is a little concerning on top of the motor noise reported in the other thread. Bosch seems to be a good system, and I'm weary of Brose systems used by some competitors due to repetitive premature failures, despite being quieter. You can't win. Monitoring the situation...

Last edited:
My Allant 9 had the battery problem and Trek sent LBS a hardware fix as well as new battery cover. The ‘noise’ problem is not something that is bothersome
In response to Akrotiri…my LBS, who sell Specialized also, has been knowlegible about the Bosch system probably because a former employee is now a regional Bosch guy. But more importantly they are willing to learn as when I mentioned to them recently about reducing the light reserve. (TY Alaskan)

Last edited:
My Allant+7 was just the opposite. Couldn’t unlock/remove the battery. Still charged perfectly, of course. Took my LBS an hour to adjust the battery lock. Has worked perfectly ever since which is the better part of a year. It’s a simple (Trek) latch adjustment issue as far as I can tell.

And now I have a second battery problem in addition to my self-ejecting sewer-seeking primary battery. My iPhone no longer receives a charge when connected to the Cobi mount. The phone battery then dies pretty quickly with the Cobi app loaded and my phone is drained inside of an hour. The phone charges fine on multiple other chargers so it’s not the phone. I have tried fiddling (technical term) with the cable connection at both the mount end and the phone end, no luck. Used alcohol to clean the lightning and USB B ends as well as a few blasts of compressed air into the Cobi hub port and the iPhone, tried removing my bike’s primary battery from the bike and recharging thinking maybe it will reset something, no luck.

This is my fourth Trek bike and my second Trek ebike (Powerfly 7 then this Allant +8S). Probably my last Trek. I have lost confidence in the brand’s build/design as well brand standards Why do they wait until a known latch design flaw results in failure before they fix. They should send the “revised” latch kit to all dealers holding inventory and pay them for doing a warranty repair before the dealer sells the bike to a consumer.

Back