2019 Trek Dual Sport+

e-boy

[ADMIN EDIT] Trek just emailed me a press release with more info. They sent one of the new Dual Sport+ models to a dealer in SoCal and I'll be reviewing early December 2018.

[ADMIN EDIT 2] I just published my full 2019 Trek Dual Sport+ review at https://electricbikereview.com/trek/dual-sport-plus/ and will embed the video below :)

2019-trek-dual-sport-plus-electric-bike.pngtrek-dual-sport-plus-woman-climbing-photo.jpgtrek-dual-sport-plus-lifestyle-boardwalk-ride.jpgtrek-dual-sport-plus-lifestyle-photo-1.jpgtrek-dual-sport-plus-black-riding-near-city.jpg

Trek unveils major updates to Dual Sport+ electric hybrids

[Waterloo, WI] — Trek has released the second generation of its popular line of Dual Sport+ electric hybrid bikes, updating the new models with better tech, a more stylish design, and all-new integrated battery and lighting systems. Dual Sport+ and Dual Sport+ Women’s are now more capable than ever. They don’t limit riders when the terrain changes, because they’re just as much at home on dirt paths as they are on pavement.

All-new integrated battery and lighting systems
Trek’s all-new Removable Integrated Battery (RIB) system addresses the major pain points of modern e-bikes. It fully integrates a 500Wh Bosch PowerTube battery into the frame with a compact one-piece battery and cover. It looks great, requires no tools for removal, and has an integrated easy-carry handle and an external port for on-bike charging.

Dual Sport+ also features a Trek-designed Lync integrated lighting system that turns on automatically and runs off the Bosch battery. The headlight and saddle-integrated tail light are also equipped with an ambient light sensor that automatically switches modes from day flash to night steady when the environment changes.

Powerful Bosch drive system
Dual Sport+ is equipped with a Bosch Active Line Plus drive system that supports sustained speeds up to 20 mph and has a range of up to 100 miles. It has a 250-watt mid-drive motor, a 500Wh Bosch PowerTube battery, and a compact Bosch Purion display with four power levels.

Rugged, all-terrain parts
Dual Sport+ is a go-anywhere e-bike equipped with parts that bring comfort and control to every adventure. It’s built with a lightweight Alpha Gold Aluminum frame, a 10-speed drivetrain with a low-profile Shimano Deore Shadow+ derailleur, a wide-range cassette, and an SR Suntour NRX fork with 80mm of travel and a lockout. Plus, it has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes for stopping power in all weather conditions, high-volume 38c Bontrager Comp LT2 tires, a plush Bontrager saddle, and ergonomic Bontrager grips.

Dual Sport+ Women’s replaces Neko+
The all-new Dual Sport+ Women’s replaces Neko+ in Trek’s lineup of women's e-bike models. It has the same performance package as Dual Sport+, with the option for an XS frame size, a sloping top tube for a lower standover height, and Women’s Specific Design touchpoints, like narrower handlebars and a women’s saddle, that can provide a better fit from the start.

Available Dual Sport+ models
Dual Sport+ and Dual Sport+ Women’s will be available in October through Trek’s global network of retail partners. Both models will have an MSRP of $3599.99. Dual Sport+ will be available in sizes S, M, L, and XL, and Dual Sport+ Women’s will be available in sizes XS, S, and M.

trek-dual-sport-plus-lifestyle-womens-frame.pngtrek-dual-sport-plus-charging-port.pngtrek-dual-sport-plus-rib-battery-removal.pngtrek-dual-sport-plus-integrated-battery-handle-bosch-powertube-500.png

Trek product page link: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ual-sport/dual-sport/p/24005/?colorCode=black Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) listed below.
  • What models and sizes of Dual Sport+ are available?
    Dual Sport+ in S, M, L & XL
    Dual Sport+ Women’s in XS, S & M

• Which Bosch system is used?
    Dual Sport+ uses the Bosch Active Line Plus system and features a 500Wh Removable Integrated Battery (RIB) and a 250W motor.

• What is the Removable Integrated Battery (RIB)?
    RIB is a one-piece battery and cover with a built-in handle that can easily be removed and re-installed in the frame with no tools and no hassle. It’s the most convenient way to remove your battery for transport, security, or just easier charging.

• What is the range?
    Battery range depends on several factors like terrain, wind, rider weight, and riding preferences, so it’s between 20-100 miles/32-160 kilometers. Bosch has a handy e-bike range calculator that will help you estimate range for specific riding conditions. [Hyperlink “Range Cockpit” https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-cockpit/ ]

• How is the top assisted speed for Dual Sport+?
    20mph for North America and New Zealand
    25km/h for global

• How does the battery charge?
    The battery charges much like a smartphone does. Plug the charger into a wall outlet and connect it to the plug on the side of the downtube, or simply remove the battery and plug it in. All five green LEDs will light up when the battery is fully charged.

• How long does the battery take to charge?
    A fully depleted battery charges in approximately 2.5-4 hours using the included 4A charger.

• What does Dual Sport+ come with?
    Dual Sport+ is equipped with Trek’s Lync integrated light system; a rear-mount kickstand, pedals and bell. Plus, a charger and set of keys for the battery.

• Tell me more about the Lync integrated light system.
    The Lync integrated light system is Trek’s ultimate solution for urban riding. The powerful 500-lumen headlight casts a focused, long beam to light up the road, and doesn't blind oncoming drivers. The Lync Flare City tail light is visible from over 400 meters away. Both lights are built into the frame, so riders don’t have to worry about forgetting to bring lights or forgetting to remove them when they go inside. The lights run off the bike’s central battery so you don't have to remember to charge them, and turn on as soon as the bike is powered up.

• Will the lights still work if the battery is dead?
    Yes.

• Where can this bike be serviced?
    Trek retailers with Trek Certified Expert Technicians or Bosch Certified Technicians have the tools and expertise to work on the Bosch system.

• Can I ride it without the pedal-assist?
    Yes, you can. The motor and the battery are built into the middle of the bike, so the weight is balanced much like a non-electric bike. The bike is heavier because of these pedal-assist features, but because the weight is centralized, you won’t feel the bike sway like you would with a hub motor or rack-mounted battery.

• How many assist modes does Dual Sport+ have?
    Dual Sport+ has four levels of pedal assist: Eco, Tour, Sport, and Turbo. Riders can quickly change modes with the Purion controller; using a lower level of assist saves battery, while higher levels of assist help riders easily accelerate and climb hills.

• Can I leave the battery on the bike?
    Yes, but we recommend keeping the battery out of extreme heat or cold.

• Is the battery waterproof?
    Yes.

• Can I lock the battery?
    Yes, the key must be used to remove it.

• Do electric bikes require a license or registration?
    Most states and municipalities have rules that favor e-bike use. It’s the user’s responsibility to be aware of their municipality’s rules regarding cycling and e-bike use. A great resource can be found here: http://peopleforbikes.org/our-work/e-bikes/

• What are warranty terms for Dual Sport+?
    The frame has a lifetime warranty. The motor has a 2-year warranty through Bosch. The battery has a 500-charge cycle/2-year warranty (whichever comes first) through Bosch.

• Can I charge by pedaling?
    No, you cannot. Regenerative motors are more commonly found on hub motors. Trek uses a more efficient Bosch mid-drive motor that is built into the frame. Most regenerative motors give negligible energy back to the battery and sacrifice a lot in efficiency.

• What accessories will Dual Sport+ accept?
    The standard frame has a conventional seat tube bottle cage mount and the women’s frame includes a top tube mount. Dual Sport+ also has rack & fender mounts and a Blendr-compatible stem, so customers can buy the appropriate base and mount to integrate accessories in the cockpit.
trek-dual-sport-plus-high-step-black.jpgtrek-dual-sport-plus-mid-step-silver.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Way overpriced. It comes with Bosch active line, the front fork is an entry level coil fork and it costs $3600?

I don't see why one would go for this when you can get Powerfly 5 which comes with Bosch cx, Rockshox Air fork for $400 more.

Way overpriced. It comes with Bosch active line, the front fork is an entry level coil fork and it costs $3600?

I don't see why one would go for this when you can get Powerfly 5 which comes with Bosch cx, Rockshox Air fork for $400 more.

Yes I agree! I am seeing a lot of this sort of thing from 2017 models and beyond. I recently visited a local E-bike shop, and I was astounded by the way mfgs are trying to cut costs to keep the bikes more 'affordable' for the consumer. ie: LED displays, side mount opposed to center mount displays and lower end components. It really is making the bike look a bit cheesy and not something you would be proud to take home and ride IMO. Quite frankly, I told the salesperson that this is bad for business and for that very reason was not able to purchase what they were offering. I am willing to spend the extra $$$ to get something better.

Regarding the Powerfly 5 or 7, what is the gearing difference between the Dual Sport+ and Powerfly? Powerfly more for the dirt?

Regarding the Powerfly 5 or 7, what is the gearing difference between the Dual Sport+ and Powerfly? Powerfly more for the dirt?

The cassette is identical in the rear, but the front chainring is larger on the Dual Sport compared to the Powerfly models. So the DS is geared higher for speed, and the Powerfly is geared lower for climbing.

The cassette is identical in the rear, but the front chainring is larger on the Dual Sport compared to the Powerfly models. So the DS is geared higher for speed, and the Powerfly is geared lower for climbing.

Thank you, I'm torn between the two bikes. I would like to have them both but that's not going to happen so want to pick the one best for me. Leaning towards a 2017 PF 7 with maybe different tires.

The only difference is sprocket and it can be changed for cheap if you like in the future.

Since both bicycles are 20mph limited you will not be gaining much from it however bosch cx on powerfly will have higher cadence support.

I posted this in the Trek Forum as well.
FYI: I was asking my LBS whether the Dual Sport+ was worth spending the extra 1K or so, upgrading to it over the Verve+ (I'm in the market to buy my first ebike). He told me that the Dual Sport wasn't selling for them. In fact, "Trek is cancelling it for 2020." That's all I know.

It will be interesting to see what Trek does for 2020. In my area of Upper Midwest the bike shops were not able to order the Dual Sport Plus even though customers were asking for them. A couple thoughts:
- Trek may be deciding to use the new Bosch motor and system.
- Trek may decide to "merge" the Verve Plus with the Dual Sport Plus and offer one line. The Verve is popular but has older style battery and lower components.
Looking forward to what they offer.

Back