2023 Trek Fx+ and Dual Sport+

I bought the 2023 Dual Sport 2 +. Perfect for my commute to work - 10K's each way so easily within the power range of the battery.
I have had some real issues with charging though which saw me going back and forth into the store after buying it. And them trying to find the fault - they seem to have got it working but I still have issues with it charging - it just seems really sensitive to something - and when the charger does not work you have to leave it for a few hours and then try again. I have begun to plug it into the bike first and then power up the charger and that seems to be working, but if its charging I dont touch the controller at all even if the lights are on as that can sometimes stop the charging process !

Pro's
Really fast roller with lots of pressure in the tyres and genuinely not too bad to ride when the battery is flat - nowhere near as much drag as a mid drive
Reasonably well speced although I put new pedals on immediately and will probably change the seat to something less wide.
This thing is actually really light for an E bike ! I use my normal bike rack car carrier - dont need a specific E bike one

Cons
Bars could be wider and stem shorter but thats just my preference
A bit too upright for my liking but again thats just me.
Very odd battery charging - often just refuses to work - there are other people having the same issues if you google it.
Not easy to fit a set of mudguards too - I put on a pair of wide SKS Bluemels but it took me the whole day - back one is fine but front one only has one fixing and its in a weird spot on the fork - couldn't seem to track down anything that was made to fit this model - but I am in NZ so maybe easier elsewhere. But it seemed strange as a true commuter needs to have guards in winter.
Its not as powerfull as a mid drive motor - so dont expect to be flying up hills at the same speed as the big mid motors.

H
I bought the 2023 Dual Sport 2 +. Perfect for my commute to work - 10K's each way so easily within the power range of the battery.
I have had some real issues with charging though which saw me going back and forth into the store after buying it. And them trying to find the fault - they seem to have got it working but I still have issues with it charging - it just seems really sensitive to something - and when the charger does not work you have to leave it for a few hours and then try again. I have begun to plug it into the bike first and then power up the charger and that seems to be working, but if its charging I dont touch the controller at all even if the lights are on as that can sometimes stop the charging process !

Pro's
Really fast roller with lots of pressure in the tyres and genuinely not too bad to ride when the battery is flat - nowhere near as much drag as a mid drive
Reasonably well speced although I put new pedals on immediately and will probably change the seat to something less wide.
This thing is actually really light for an E bike ! I use my normal bike rack car carrier - dont need a specific E bike one

Cons
Bars could be wider and stem shorter but thats just my preference
A bit too upright for my liking but again thats just me.
Very odd battery charging - often just refuses to work - there are other people having the same issues if you google it.
Not easy to fit a set of mudguards too - I put on a pair of wide SKS Bluemels but it took me the whole day - back one is fine but front one only has one fixing and its in a weird spot on the fork - couldn't seem to track down anything that was made to fit this model - but I am in NZ so maybe easier elsewhere. But it seemed strange as a true commuter needs to have guards in winter.
Its not as powerfull as a mid drive motor - so dont expect to be flying up hills at the same speed as the big mid motors.

H
I made my purchase of an FX2+ at the end of July and have covered 2500km so far. I had been doing conversions of friends and my own bikes using either Tongsheng mid drives or Bafang 310/311 250 watt hub motors. My 2 favourite bikes were, and still are, hub motor driven using Grins Cycle Analysts and 24 pole cadence sensors.
I made the mistake of looking at bikes in a Trek store, and saw this gorgeous viper red e-bike with torque sensing bottom bracket and almost no visible cables. A quick ride around the block and that was that! After all it was my birthday.
I soon came to realize that things were not what I had expected. A lag of almost a complete revolution of the pedals before anything happened and then power came on in a big rush, far more than I needed in level one assist. Using the Hyena app I reduced assist to 5% (no difference) and subsequently to 1% (no difference). Discussed with dealer who used the Hyena diagnostic tool and decided along with Trek that the torque sensor should be replaced. This was done and guess what - it behaves exactly the same! By the way, in mid and high level assist I can ghost pedal from 10 to 30km/hr. Obviously cadence only.
I give up. Most of my riding on the level I can handle without assist. I just switch it on as required. The way that I ride allows me to easily achieve 100km range.
It’s disappointing, but it’s a lovely looking bike. By the way, if you have this bike or the dual sport, mark the motor cable connector pair with a spot of white paint to make reconnection easier.

I purchased a 2023 Dual Sport 2+ Stagger in August. Was hoping it would be the answer to my e-bike search as I've been very happy with my DS 3 purchased in 2021. I mostly riding rail-trials with a variety of surfaces and greenways some of which have short portions of single track on them. Ended up sadly after much thought returning the bike for a full refund after having it for 28 days.

Problems that concerned me were:
1). The controller started flashing alternate red and green lights. At that point I realized that I'd lost my pedal assist leaving me with a bike that weighs 10 lbs more than my DS 3. Luckily we were at the end of our vacation and I was able to continue to ride it on mostly flat surfaces. I tried to solve the problem through Hyena but was unsuccessful. Ended up bringing it to our local Trek dealer who had to "rewrite the software" and told me that my controller just "wastn't set up properly from the get - go." Well, you sold me the bike, so whose problem was that? They also told me to never update Hyena myself but to always bring it into the shop and let them do any updates when I bring it in for service. Why buy a bike that I'm not able to update on my own?
2) The brakes made a horrible grinding noise sometimes when I wasn't even using them.
3) The shifter was tempermental which I realize is a problem with the lower end Shimanos.

I haven't given up on purchasing another Trek particularly if they make some upgrades; also looking at Specialized, Marin and perhaps Cannondale. Weight (or lack of it) is a priority for me as I am a 70 year old woman often loading my bike myself while my husband is off on his mountain bike.

Attachments

• IMG_5579.jpeg
    IMG_5579.jpeg
    705.3 KB · Views: 73
If weight is issue loading on bike rack, consider upgrading to platform rack. We bought Thule XT EasyFolder 2 bike rack few years ago. Very expensive but worth every penny, makes transporting bikes a breeze. Fitting and loading is a quick as shown, being folding easy to store. I don't use ramp but always option assuming they still sell them for my model. I don't trust locks for overnite, add cable or remove bikes but great for travel stops eg lunch.

See video

Last edited:
Back