2017 Voltbike Urban

Nice pics! I almost forgot this thread. Did you road test it already?

Did a first ride test drive yesterday. Rode about 22 miles. I did 1/3 thottle only, 2/3 on various power settings. The battery started from 5/6 and down to 1/6, pretty close to empty. My commute route is 12.5m each way so I guess it's possible to do a round trip with 1 charge.

38183104071_8d731bb63b_c.jpg

A couple observations:
* power setting 1-5 might as well simplified to 1-3, I don't feel enough difference between them.

* This is my first time riding an ebike, all my previous bikes were 26-28" no suspension commuter hybrid bikes.

* The front suspensing doesn't feel that useful to me, it only helps in certain down curb situation. I now understand why a lot of bikes don't have it. Maybe I need to upgrade the seat but so far standing up on the pedals is still a better "suspension".

* 20" with suspension is still worst than bigger wheels, epecially on concrete and bricked sidewalk, but I need a smaller folding bike.

* My original observation of commuting in New York was correct, there is almost no point in getting faster ebikes because there is so little chance to go over 15m, 18m in any long stretch. If I start over again, I would still choose the Urban for cheap, or an old model year Easy Motion Volt for the dealer support and 5 year warranty. EM doesn't sell the spear battery separately is one reason I chose Voltbike. Voltbike acts more like a Chinese company, you can buy parts from them.

* The power setting is probably just a voltage setting not a top speed setting, I haven't read the manual yet. When I was on power 1 (weakest), I could still coast to 20mph, however when the battery was on 1/6, it only went up to 12mph, and then 10mph, 8mph top speed. On my last mile the trottle was going slower than my human powered pedaling.

* The throttle is a really good idea. Even if you pedal 90% of the time, it really helps you in many situations, such as going pass an intersection in the safest speed. Countries and cities that outlaw throttles are retarded. It's like a mouse vs controller argument. If you can use the mouse for more precise control, why shouldn't you use it? Commuting is not a game.

* Oh yeah it really can use a pair of bottle holder screws holes. Now I have to jerryrig a solution.

Last edited:
@tinotino Did you get the newer 36V 11.6A battery? I have the older Voltbike Urban (mag wheels) with a 36v 10.4A battery. From a fresh full charge, I rode 60 km (37 miles) with a bit of battery remaining.

I rode at round 20 km/h (13 mph) on PAS 1 & 3, on mostly flats, using the throttle sparingly during startups. It really depends on your weight, hills, and most importantly... PAS level and speed.

@tinotino Did you get the newer 36V 11.6A battery? I have the older Voltbike Urban (mag wheels) with a 36v 10.4A battery. From a fresh full charge, I rode 60 km (37 miles) with a bit of battery remaining.

I rode at round 20 km/h (13 mph) on PAS 1 & 3, on mostly flats, using the throttle sparingly during startups. It really depends on your weight, hills, and most importantly... PAS level and speed.

The battery has 11.6AH on it. My commute route has tons of stop and go traffic. Probably will be better in the morning. What's your weight? I am 180 lb.

I modded the light btw.

38185458261_c70e19c5e2_b.jpg

The OEM light has probably 200 lumen. I cut a chocolate wafers can and make a housing to sit on top of the light, with 2 bolted on Amazon lights. These have variable 800-200 lumen output and have the blinking option. So now I have around 1800 lumen in the front. I need that in the morning.

38185503761_03100040e5_b.jpg

24333597428_25fe0c37c7_b.jpg

It's got velcro on every side so I can quick detach it to take inside office for charging.

I finally read the manual. It says the bike shipped with battery 70% charged. That's probably true. I rode 12 mile to work today, the battery indicator lowered 1 bar for a while and then went back to full bar.

Also, the top speed adjustment in the secret menu doesn't work, I am still limited to 20.8 mile, which I assume is 33 kmph.

Just wanted to add that I decided to get this bike after reading all the comments here and seeing volt tech videos to help with adjustments, etc. it makes me feel more confident. I already have an ebike- a Pedego stretch which I love, but I can only use it at home as I work an uncommutable 21 miles away and it is way too expensive and heavy to haul on a car like ever.

I wanted a second bike I could enjoy in an urban setting. This seems to fit the bill. Not super light but I don’t have to deal with stairs and taking a train, etc and at 1/4 the cost of the Pedego Stretch, seems ideal. Now to decide on when to buy!

Just got one of these and took my first ride, pretty fun so far! Need to know if anyone knows of the optimal computer settings for better hill climbing? Not sure what level of voltage it should be set at or what alot of the other settings in the comp settings menu mean. Any help/advice would be appreciated! thanks!!

Back