2017 Voltbike Urban

SuperGoop

I just ordered the Voltbike Urban. I already own the Voltbike Yukon 750, but wanted something casual, light and compact. This is the new 2017 model with the spokeless "mag" wheels. CAD$1,299 +$49 shipping (US$1,059). I'll post some thoughts when it arrives, as there is no reviews anywhere on this new Voltbike Urban (2017 model). A lot of value for the price!

- suspension fork
- 350W (500W peak) Bafang geared hub motor
- Throttle on-demand and Pedal Assist
- 36W x 10.4 Ah Samsung battery
- full rack
- front & rear fenders
- integrated front light powered by main battery
- integrated rear light powered by two AA batteries
- foldable
- spokeless 20" aluminum "mag" wheels
- sub-50 lbs (I will weigh it to confirm)

http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-urban.html

I ordered it Wednesday, and it shipped next day, Thursday. Tracking # shows that it departed from Vancouver, and is on route. ETA is next Wednesday (I estimate another few days to get onto a truck to my home). I believe it ships direct (non-stop) via train in Canada. My Voltbike Yukon 750 arrived in pristine condition with zero box damage. I think this is because it shipped by train, and doesn't get tossed around from truck to truck across the country.

More updates to follow...

Last edited:
I was thinking about ordering this bike, but, I want a fat tire bike in case I ever go to the beach and bike on the soft sand. That's why I'm debating between the Voltbike Mariner and the Radmini.

But, one cannot go wrong with the Urban also. That price point is crazy good. I see it being good for biking around on pavement, but, based on the video review I saw, the tires can be changed out if you're going camping and bike on dirt.

Hey there

Thanks for posting the info. I was debating the e-Joe epik or the Motiv Stash and now this is in the mix!

I'd be using whatever bike I end up getting to commute 2 miles each way, most flat but with a 200 yard steepish hill at the beginning (downhill) and end (uphill). Also I'd be folding it daily as I'd take it up to the office. Any thoughts? Also, is the weight manageable when toting it around? In other words, is it klunky or easy to carry it around?

Thanks in advance.

The folding and the weight is manageable, but don't expect it to be quick and easy. Because the bike is 53 lbs, it does take a bit of effort to fold. I would not want to fold and carry it up stairs daily. Below, I took it with me on a vacation. The folding works great for this purpose:

EJZF09y.jpg

Last edited:
The folding and the weight is manageable, but don't expect it to be quick and easy. Because the bike is 53 lbs, it does take a bit of effort to fold. I would not want to fold and carry it up stairs daily. Below, I took it with me on a vacation. The folding works great for this purpose:

EJZF09y.jpg
Hi Supergoop, what Pannier do you have? And how many flat do you have so far?

I placed an order for a black one, their current ship date is mid Sep. I heard its changing from mag wheel back to spoke wheel too.

Is there a more active Voltbike Urban group on the internet besides this thread?

SuperGoop, thank you so much for those beautiful pictures and honest review points. Very much appreciated from someone who's still trying to choose a folding e-bike. I'm between this, the Magnum Premium, and the E-Joe Epik SE 2018. I'm leaning towards the Premium, but I have a feeling Interbike is gonna change things up.

Thank you for your honest review. I've ordered the 2018 model which will no longer come with the solid wheels. I really loved those wheels. Ride safe.

Are there any photos of the 2018 model? What other changes have they made?
George told me that he would have photos around September 10, there is a new 11.6 ah battery, new bottom bracket, there is also added stand for stability when the bike is folded, new pedals, stronger seat post, longer handlebar to handle taller person.
I can't wait to see the photos myself too, but I just pre-ordered it anyways.

Keep in mind that the battery is inside the main tube, which means that if you plan to remove the battery frequently (eg. to charge inside the house), it will be a hassle. You'll need to fold the bike, reach underneath to remove the key, pull out the battery, etc.

Since I keep the battery inside the bike to charge, this is not an issue for me, but it might be for some people.

Yes, I plan on keeping the battery inside the tube to charge as well. That's why I like this bike to be foldable. Just fold it up and bring it to the office/home with me, not hanging outside waiting to be stolen. At some places people will even steal your bike bell or bottle cage if they cannot steal the whole bike or tires.

It looks like they'll update the website with new details in 2 weeks. "It will feature upgraded frame, bigger battery, lighter wheels, new pedals, new fenders and more. Shipping starts October.2."

Thanks for the pic SuperGoop. The frame looks nice, it's similar to that of the E-Joe Epik SE. I like how it has the added bar on the bottom of the frame which will help to stand it up while in the folded position. Does anybody know if it includes a magnet to help secure it together while folded? I just looked at Voltbikes website and they did include one upgrade regarding the battery. The battery will now be a 36volt 11.6 ah using LG 1860 cells.

Back