2017 Racktime Trunk Bag Thread

Many thanks to the contributors of the similar thread started in 2015. Unfortunately, two years is like a millennium in bike gear time. Since then, Ortlieb lost their licensing agreement with Racktime and no longer offer any gear outfitted with the snap-it mounting system. They were the primary domestic supply source in the US, now there are none.

So, we are left with either using something else that works pretty well, or looking to the EU for bags that are compatible with the 60mm narrow Racktime rear rack that comes on the ST series. The beauty of the snap-it system is that with a turn of the wrench, you can use them on either the 60mm or 90mm Racktime racks. They are also easy to attach and detach and stay firmly secured to the rack when in use. Using the snap-it system also has a very clean appearance, especially if you're only looking for an urban trunk bag, as opposed to a full pannier array. You can always buy just the snap-it adapter on its own and attach it to any bag you want, if you have the right hardware to make sure its durable and stable while in use. Their youtube video shows taking a wooden record crate and doing just that, but I personally don't want to mess with that.

I wanted to start this thread because most of the links on the 2015 thread are dead or lead to discontinued, out-of stock products and, as I mentioned, suppliers for snap-it products have changed. So, after searching for some time on various sites, I found exactly two actively sold trunk bags equipped with the snap-it system. Both of them are only available from suppliers outside of the U.S., so you should plan for the lag time accordingly.

The Racktime TALIS trunk bag is available from various online bike retailers. I've included a link to a popular site in Germany, ROSE bike. https://www.rosebikes.com/article/racktime-talis-trunk-bag/aid:856166. Being the official Racktime bag, there are no worries about compatibility to the ST2 rack. It runs about $60USD and looks pretty nice.

2190167_1.r2eo5nrg45.jpg

A new supplier on the scene is the well-established outdoor apparel company VAUDE. They have exactly one snap-it equipped trunk bag, the Silkroad L model. It looks more like a traditional trunk bag and is bit more functional than the TALIS. Both bags have about the same capacity of around 8l. The price is also about the same, around $60USD. Neither one is waterproof (a big upside to the non-racktime Ortlieb) both come with a rain cover.

I've included a link to a Spanish consolidator site, TrekINN. VAUDE Silkroad L Snap-it

I like the look of this bag better and it has the functionality of being able to lash stuff to the top if you run out of space or you just want to leave the bag on the bike (see lock below) and grab what you need off the top.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

1148176_2.ttcengli3u.jpg

Another reason I like the snap-it system is that you can buy a lock that integrates nicely without another cable or other obvious security device.

So that's pretty much it as of May 2017 if you want to buy a snap-it equipped trunk bag. Like I said there are many other options out there, including DIY and Ortlieb's universal rack fastening system. I ordered my Silkroad L this week and it should arrive in the US within the next week or so. I'll post a pic here when I get it and mount it on my ST2.

In Matt's Riese and Muller thread we had some discussion of trunk bags for the Racktime. I think Rixen and Kaul was pointed out as having some compatible bags and one US seller carries one of the R&K bags for Racktime:

The Rixen&Kaul website ( (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) ) lists 22 products equipped with their version of the snap-it adapter. Since the site uses javascript, I can't provide a direct link, but you can navigate to all racktime products from the main menu using "For Carrier"--> "Bags, Baskets & Boxes"--> "for Racktime". They even list a waterproof trunk bag and shopping panniers that can be clipped on to the rack without side supports while a trunk bag is also attached. The U.S. distributor VeloFred, currently only carries two Racktime products. A word of caution if buying R&K products on Amazon. There are two versions of the KlickFix Racktime adapter apparently. The newer one called "Vario" has the adjustable lugs and the older one doesn't. The fixed lug version does not fit the Racktime model that comes on the ST. Here's a thread from last year discussing the issue. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/rixen-kaul-bag-w-racktime-adapter.7014/

Last edited:
... There are two versions of the KlickFix Racktime adapter apparently. The newer one called "Vario" has the adjustable lugs and the older one doesn't. The fixed lug version does not fit the Racktime model that comes on the ST....

I've been on the fence about ordering a trunk bag for my R&M Charger mainly because of the uncertainty on the fit and having to order from Europe. I wish there was some information from the bike manufacturer perhaps listing some recommended accessories with brand, model number etc - that would at least reduce the uncertainty about fit. I would have thought that with several manufacturers using Racktime and selling in the US, that it would have been a lot easier to pick up accessories from USA or Canadian sellers sources.

Many thanks to the contributors of the similar thread started in 2015. Unfortunately, two years is like a millennium in bike gear time. Since then, Ortlieb lost their licensing agreement with Racktime and no longer offer any gear outfitted with the snap-it mounting system. They were the primary domestic supply source in the US, now there are none.

So, we are left with either using something else that works pretty well, or looking to the EU for bags that are compatible with the 60mm narrow Racktime rear rack that comes on the ST series. The beauty of the snap-it system is that with a turn of the wrench, you can use them on either the 60mm or 90mm Racktime racks. They are also easy to attach and detach and stay firmly secured to the rack when in use. Using the snap-it system also has a very clean appearance, especially if you're only looking for an urban trunk bag, as opposed to a full pannier array. You can always buy just the snap-it adapter on its own and attach it to any bag you want, if you have the right hardware to make sure its durable and stable while in use. Their youtube video shows taking a wooden record crate and doing just that, but I personally don't want to mess with that.

I wanted to start this thread because most of the links on the 2015 thread are dead or lead to discontinued, out-of stock products and, as I mentioned, suppliers for snap-it products have changed. So, after searching for some time on various sites, I found exactly two actively sold trunk bags equipped with the snap-it system. Both of them are only available from suppliers outside of the U.S., so you should plan for the lag time accordingly.

The Racktime TALIS trunk bag is available from various online bike retailers. I've included a link to a popular site in Germany, ROSE bike. https://www.rosebikes.com/article/racktime-talis-trunk-bag/aid:856166. Being the official Racktime bag, there are no worries about compatibility to the ST2 rack. It runs about $60USD and looks pretty nice.

2190167_1.r2eo5nrg45.jpg

A new supplier on the scene is the well-established outdoor apparel company VAUDE. They have exactly one snap-it equipped trunk bag, the Silkroad L model. It looks more like a traditional trunk bag and is bit more functional than the TALIS. Both bags have about the same capacity of around 8l. The price is also about the same, around $60USD. Neither one is waterproof (a big upside to the non-racktime Ortlieb) both come with a rain cover.

I've included a link to a Spanish consolidator site, TrekINN. VAUDE Silkroad L Snap-it

I like the look of this bag better and it has the functionality of being able to lash stuff to the top if you run out of space or you just want to leave the bag on the bike (see lock below) and grab what you need off the top.

1148176_2.ttcengli3u.jpg

Another reason I like the snap-it system is that you can buy a lock that integrates nicely without another cable or other obvious security device.

So that's pretty much it as of May 2017 if you want to buy a snap-it equipped trunk bag. Like I said there are many other options out there, including DIY and Ortlieb's universal rack fastening system. I ordered my Silkroad L this week and it should arrive in the US within the next week or so. I'll post a pic here when I get it and mount it on my ST2.

2190167_1.r2eo5nrg45.jpg

1148176_2.ttcengli3u.jpg

I've been on the fence about ordering a trunk bag for my R&M Charger mainly because of the uncertainty on the fit and having to order from Europe. I wish there was some information from the bike manufacturer perhaps listing some recommended accessories with brand, model number etc - that would at least reduce the uncertainty about fit. I would have thought that with several manufacturers using Racktime and selling in the US, that it would have been a lot easier to pick up accessories from USA or Canadian sellers sources.
I know what you mean. The retailers don't always provide enough info and sometimes they show an incorrect picture of their products. Here are the two KlickFix snap-it adapters.

This one doesn't adjust and is too wide for the City kit rack on our bikes. You can see that the pins are set into a non-moveable mount that is molded into the rack:
kickfix-no2.jpg

This one does adjust and will fit our racks. The pins are mounted on gimbals that will rotate:

klickfix_yes.jpg

I picked up this Topeak bag that has saddlebags that zipper out on the side pouches. Nice feature is they dont interfere with peddling when deployed as saddlebags. The main compartment is pretty roomy in itself and has handled parcels from post office, snacks, fill-in groceries. Purchased the Racktime adapter (ebay, came from Italy in 2 weeks). I removed the Topeak rack base it came with, and sub'd the Racktime adapter. Re-used the hardware, and 2 of the existing mounting holes in the front of the bottom. Had to drill 2 more in the bag bottom for rear. Bottom compartment pad covers the mounting screws.

b2 - 1.jpg
b1 - 1.jpg

I picked up this Topeak bag that has saddlebags that zipper out on the side pouches. Nice feature is they dont interfere with peddling when deployed as saddlebags. The main compartment is pretty roomy in itself and has handled parcels from post office, snacks, fill-in groceries. Purchased the Racktime adapter (ebay, came from Italy in 2 weeks). I removed the Topeak rack base it came with, and sub'd the Racktime adapter. Re-used the hardware, and 2 of the existing mounting holes in the front of the bottom. Had to drill 2 more in the bag bottom for rear. Bottom compartment pad covers the mounting screws.

View attachment 16559 View attachment 16560

Like that you added Shimano Saint Pedals. From the picture, it looks like you installed the Thudbuster seatpost incorrectly. The slanted parallelogram should be pointed backwards , so you may have to rotate it 180'.

After ten agonizing days, my Vaude Silk Road L arrived from Europe today! I'll split this into multiple posts to cut down on the load times for the photos.
#1 the "KlickFix" Snap-it adapter:

Snap-it.JPG

You can see how the pins rotate in and out. The entire adapter is made out of plastic. Might be an issue for those in colder climates, but in Texas not.

It slides without effort onto the rack and the pins line up perfectly with the holes in the rack cross stays.

Rackcloseup.jpg

The it just snaps into place with a tab that you use to lift up again when you want to remove it.

Racklatched.jpg

I bought the lock that goes with the system so I can leave the (empty) bag on the rack when I'm not on the bike in the city.
Racklock.jpg

All done and ready to ride:
bagmounted.JPG

Vaude Silk Road L Pt. 2

Various shots of the bag on the bike:
#1 without expansion zippers open

bagside1.JPG

#2 expanded there's enough room for my helmet

bagexpand.jpg

#3 roomy inside with pockets for stuff and a rain fly

baginside.JPG

#4 there's no law that says you have to carry water in the water bottle sleeve

bagbeer.JPG

#5 the rain fly has a reflective emblem on the back for extra visibility in bad conditions

bagrain.JPG

#6 glam shots

bagstromer1.jpg

bagstromer2.jpg
bagstromer3.JPG

Can you provide the link for the bag and seller for your final purchase? I wasn't sure if you finally bought from the Spanish site you linked above. The bag looks like a perfect fit and is fairly low profile. I think I could combined that with my aerodynamic North Face backpack and maybe shed the panniers on windy days:

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-19_20-56-18.png
    upload_2017-5-19_20-56-18.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,014
Can you provide the link for the bag and seller for your final purchase? I wasn't sure if you finally bought from the Spanish site you linked above. The bag looks like a perfect fit and is fairly low profile. I think I could combined that with my aerodynamic North Face backpack and maybe shed the panniers on windy days:

Sure, I did buy it at Trekkinn VAUDE Silkroad L Snap-it
The price changes all the time depending who they actually source it from. Right now it is $47 without shipping. It's exactly the kind of bag I was looking for. Mine was shipped from the Netherlands, btw.

Like that you added Shimano Saint Pedals. From the picture, it looks like you installed the Thudbuster seatpost incorrectly. The slanted parallelogram should be pointed backwards , so you may have to rotate it 180'.

nothing gets by you eh? lol Yes, I sure did. The elastomer was in backwards. It is obvious in the photo, and I picked up on it right away looking at the pic. Bit of fussing to get it sorted. Oddly it didnt change the seat feel, other than it gave me a bit more room to reach the bars.

Have you considered the Rixen & Kaul Klickfix Trunk Box which is aerodynamic, waterproof and lockable which will fit to a Racktime carrier

Ortlieb has a universal adaptor that works on rack=time and just about any other rear rack. I have the Ortlieb trunk bag on a Pacer from SmartMotion. Works perfectly and is very secure.

Sure, I did buy it at Trekkinn VAUDE Silkroad L Snap-it
The price changes all the time depending who they actually source it from. Right now it is $47 without shipping. It's exactly the kind of bag I was looking for. Mine was shipped from the Netherlands, btw.
Ordered. Paid a bit extra for DHL shipping. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this one. It'll give me two cargo options for the commute. I'm currently using two Ortlieb panniers but I feel as though might not be so aerodynamic in headwinds. So this option will be my ultra slim North Face Microbyte backpack with the Vaude trunk bag. I'll test it out on one of the windy days to see if I notice any difference.

Have you considered the Rixen & Kaul Klickfix Trunk Box which is aerodynamic, waterproof and lockable which will fit to a Racktime carrier
Thanks. Took a serious look at it but opted for the bag due to its ability to use as a compact version or expand to a larger capacity.

Ortlieb has a universal adaptor that works on rack=time and just about any other rear rack. I have the Ortlieb trunk bag on a Pacer from SmartMotion. Works perfectly and is very secure.

Would you happen to have a link for the Ortlieb adapter? I'm interested in the Ortlieb trunk bag and I see some online that say they come with the adapter and others don't. Is there an order code you could possibly provide?

Last edited:
My Vaude showed up from Europe the other day and I made my first commute with it today. It doesn't have a lot of capacity but it was enough that I could combine it with my low profile backpack and carry what I needed. My work clothes (jeans, polo, tshirt...) and shower items fit into the bag. I carried my Abus ulock, 2 cables, mini pump, laptop, and a spare shirt in the backpack. The commute went very well and I feel the trunk bag and backpack is a better headwind alternative to the panniers. The panniers give me a lot more cargo capacity but I think things are more streamlined with the trunk bag/backpack option (at least its easier to get the bike through the front door). The only problem I had: I lost my water bottle whilst traveling over a road that was being resurfaced (a 21 oz Camelbak Podium). It felt snug in the rear bottle holder but it came flying out on the bad road. I didn't realize it at first. I picked it up 6 hours later on the ride home but appeared to have been run over by a car or two. Pictures are attached of the bag on the Riese and Muller (perfect fit). The rear light attached to the light holder on the Vaude bag is a Lezyne - a good choice for this bag because it has a clip and a silicone strap. I can attach both and the light is mounted very securely. A negative of using the trunk bag is I can't use my Rotlicht saddle mounted tail light but the Lezyne is a good alternative.

Attachments

• Vaude3.JPG
    Vaude3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,482
  • Vaude4.JPG
    Vaude4.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,693
  • Vaude2.JPG
    Vaude2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,004
  • Vaude5.JPG
    Vaude5.JPG