2015 Models hit shops in San Diego yesterday...

I was thinking between the heavy Stromer and the X you were looking at...and then the performance differences :)

I am very curious about what you think of the Turbo X.

I talked with Specialized customer service last week. He assured me that a 2" wheel, such as Big Ben's, would fit. The guy had an X in his office and he actually measured for me.

I would like to know the torque on the X but the customer service did not know.

Post your experience as soon as you can.

So I played it by ear, did some chores, made myself lunch,.. keeping a cool head. After boredom kicked in I decided to just head out like my usual 20 - 60 mile ride. I did however grab a plastic card, just in case I fell in Love. So I'm less than 2 blocks away when the shop calls to let me know the Large X is ready to test drive. When I get to talking shop I ask if they charged the batteries overnight, they tell me no but that it is about 68 percent. I tell them I just read the manual and it recommends a full charge before first use. Next I ask them if they have already lost the magnetic charge port cover, the guy fumbles about in the tool room and comes back empty handed. Then I ask what is the AH of the battery, they don't know. Then I'm told the bike sells for $4,100, so I let them know MSRP is 4K, shortly confirmed on the internet. On to the ride (Turbo X):

First thing I notice is the bars are pretty wide, maybe a bit too wide for some of the city traffic I get into for short periods, so I'm pondering a trim of the bars as I roll out of a stop and down hill. She feels great, grips are kinda small,.. ok I just hit 26 mph,.. I let her track through some minor potholes to get a feel for the stiffness or compliance of the bike. Not bad, a bit tough on the backside without my beloved BodyFloat. Then the light changes and I'm short stopping those nice brakes, sweet! So I clear another intersection and I'm on a downhill grade that I take quite often, it runs for a mile or so and is generally clean and smooth. I notice that I'm working pretty hard to sustain 27 mph, so I carefully take a bit of a tuck. I continue to ride her pretty hard when about 3/4 of a mile down the grade FULL LOSS OF POWER. I look at the control panel and the Turbo mode icon is blinking! I immediately turn the bike around and have to use all my strength to cross the 4 lanes with cars fast approaching. When curbed to return I cycle the thumbstick and when it gets back to the Turbo mode the icon has stopped blinking, I rode it back up the grade maybe 20 mph. When I get back to the shop, I let them know what has happened, I praise the parts of the bike I like, brakes, real nice balance, but have to reiterate what just happened, even suggesting they look it up in the manual, and letting them know I have heard of this problem with the $6K Turbo S. After some attempts at salesmanship they suggest I try the Turbo S. Hey why not demo that thing too. After the exact same ride I do get a bit further on the luxury machine, but sure enough going up a steeper grade FULL LOSS OF POWER! (This is a second, more expensive bike now) I toggle it back to power a bit quicker, but I'm both bummed and somehow content that my cash will stay put. BTW the Turbo S also felt slower than my Dash, hit 28 alright but then it was difficult to sustain, I would have hit 33 mph with that same effort on my Dash (and 80 psi tires), heck I even had a tailwind going down for me.

A few more sales tactics are brought out, including 'but it has a warranty' - to which I reply 'yeah but I don't pay to beta test'. Pretty much asked for my ID back at that point and really enjoyed my chunky, funky and fast Dash home.

Here is some horribly shaky video of the bikes (stabilizing as I write), since specialized does not offer gallery views of the product. BTW the fork lockout was surprisingly hard to push, also I was hoping the built in seat lights (both lights run off the main battery) would brighten and or flash when I pulled the right hand lever, but no dice. If the electronics were sound, and the thing a bit faster I would be drooling over my new toy tonight, maybe they will at least fix the controls, but why not with this product cycle?

-Shea

Last edited:
For some reason, even after reading your comments, I still want the bike.

Other than the loss of power issue (which is huge) how did it compare to the Stromer?

You sure do ride FAST! I am more comfortable around 18-20 but want to ride into mid 20s if the need arises.

Other than the loss of power issue (which is huge) how did it compare to the Stromer?
It was quite similar to the Stromer Platinum, but had less air pressure, even after I asked the guy to add some air (having just read the max 75 psi off the tire). The Stromer was over-inflated at 55psi (and too stiff) as their design philosophy includes 'tires as shock absorbers', so not ideal circumstances for a comparison. I just feel like the 26 inch wheels are holding me back on the Stromers, but if you are looking for a bit more low end torque the Stromer Elite may be a good choice. -S

I was thinking between the heavy Stromer and the X you were looking at...and then the performance differences :)
They both run about $4K (Platinum/Turbo X), and have similar performance, maybe a slight speed advantage on the 700c wheels (Turbo Series). Aesthetically they are both beautiful and I would be happy to own either one if not for limitations and operational issues. The Stromer Platinum, and complete line have really short rear stays, panniers have to be positioned as far back as possible to prevent your heel from hitting them. I actually prefer the single chain ring design of the Turbo VS the Triple on the Stromer, excluding the Elite which is a one-by, but lacks top speed over torque. I sure hope Specialized WAKES UP! - and addresses this bug I was able to re-create on two separate bikes/models. I'd still like to test ride a Grace Easy or ONE, and when Stromer moves to San Diego in March, I'm all over an ST2 demo. -S

Is this shutdown bug the same overheating issue as was discussed in the Turbo issue -thread. Although apparently in your case the power loss came quite quickly rather than after 20 min of riding into heavy headwind. Maybe they have set the overheat limit too conservatively.

Downhill, downwind, trying to hit my normal cadence. The motor is only spec'd at 200 (edit: 250) watts, so maybe it is getting pretty warm. I'm tempted to go back and document the issue, set up the GoPro to record the display, ride time etc. The irony is the Dash and I faced strong headwinds all the way home, about 15 miles - what if I had tried to ride a Specialized Turbo, any version, home that day - thing would have caught fire, or pulled a FORD every 7 minutes. -S

Last edited:
As I was RTFM online I could not help but get the impression that the German laws in particular are where the engineers lost their balls. A country with a speed unlimited stretch of highway! Go figure.

Sounds like your Dash is still the one to beat and so far nothing has, not even close.
So true, only a custom build would compete in this class/budget. I think I'll stop looking for now, see what happens in the next two years. Just pasted 4K on the ODO, better give it a 2 hour cleaning tomorrow, show her I still care ;) -S

As I was RTFM online I could not help but get the impression that the German laws in particular are where the engineers lost their balls. A country with a speed unlimited stretch of highway! Go figure.

In Germany and Switzerland they allow the S-pedelecs (max speed 45 km/h) whereas in rest of the Europe the limit is 25 km/h (15 mph) with a power limit of 25O W. The S-pedelecs need to be registered as light mopeds and different laws apply compared to bicycles. Possibly Specialized tried to semi-comply with the laws of the rest of EU using the 25OW motor, but the Turbo is still left in legal limbo if it assists after 15 mph. Turbo would need to have its balls cut off for it to sell legitimately in Europe outside Germany and Switzerland, that is, the max speed could easily be set to 25 km/h with the diagnostic tool. But who's going to buy the bike after that is another issue.

Last edited:
I was watching your video and really like the front light. I think it is a Supernova E3 V6s but have never seen one with a handlebar mount. Did it come standard on the bike or was it an add on? I want one.

BTW - I am still mourning the loss of not getting the Turbo X after reading your review. The power loss issue is just too big for me to ignore.

I was watching your video and really like the front light. I think it is a Supernova E3 V6s but have never seen one with a handlebar mount. Did it come standard on the bike or was it an add on? I want one.

BTW - I am still mourning the loss of not getting the Turbo X after reading your review. The power loss issue is just too big for me to ignore.
I'm pretty sure the light is standard equip. I'm mourning too, and suspect a small segment of user's would almost never overheat the motor, the casual rider that does not push much past 20, takes a short ride for coffee etc, lives in a cold climate. That's just not me. So I'm both sorry to point out the flaw, and happy you were not parted from your money without knowing about it. -S

Back