2015/2016 Base Turbo Startup Issue

kermit_xc

Region
USA
City
ATX
I have been riding my Turbo for the last month, total of 450miles and am overall very happy with it.

But there is one major problem and I am wondering if anybody else has seen anything like it:

Each morning (or afternoon at work) when I am ready to go, the power button responds with the first LED blinking twice and turning the lights on briefly just to shut down momentarily. After several attempts I narrowed it down to following this procedure everytime:

- in the kick-stand - while offloading the rear wheel I spin the cranks until the lights come on (bike is off at this point - this is the dynamo feature)
- while still pedalling, I press the power button for 2 sec.
- once the first LEDs lights up solid (no blinking) I let go of the cranks and the bike is ready to go

if I don't do it - the bike just wont turn on (no matter how many attempts)

I have tried:
- removing the battery for 30sec
- charging off-bike
- sacrificed a virgin goat ...

It just feels silly having to crank-start a $3000 bike

any thoughts anybody ???

Sounds like a firmware issue. In my case I can't change the display to miles instead of kilometers. Yours sounds like a pain. I am impressed you found a workaround until you can get back to the dealer.

@kermit_xc Take it back? I mean, the bike should work as advertised even if it was a 300$ bike.

I will - problem is my workaround works pretty reliably right now and I simply have no time to drop it off - but I sure will. Local dealer is more than helpful here in Austin!

I just wanted to reach out here for some pointers in case this happened to anybody else with the newer models

Make a video of it. But I think the dealer should take your word for it and there really should not be a need for videos.

Make a video of it. But I think the dealer should take your word for it and there really should not be a need for videos.

My world is not the problem here ... I want to fix the bike. And short of replacing the whole thing there is no other promptly resolution.

To the bottom of this I will get

@kermit_xc , even if you don't have the time to take the bike to the dealer right now, make sure to call their tech team and get a work ticket started now to help with the documentation. That way if the manufacturer pushes back about the delay, they can say that you contacted them right away.

According to the Owner's Manual for the Turbo, on page 21 is a diagnostic chart that is headed with the statement that 'any light that blinks twice indicates a component not found/not functioning.' Removing and re-installing the battery with the bike turned off would be my first thought along with unplugging and reconnecting the wiring harness to the motor.

@kermit_xcAccording to the Owner's Manual for the Turbo, on page 21 is a diagnostic chart that is headed with the statement that 'any light that blinks twice indicates a component not found/not functioning.' Removing and re-installing the battery with the bike turned off would be my first thought along with unplugging and reconnecting the wiring harness to the motor.

Oh trust me - I unplugged the neighbors dishwasher in my troubleshooting frenzy.
There is a good write up here: http://secondnaturecycling.com/2014/08/27/specialized-turbo-s-troubleshooting-and-diagnosis-pt-1/

Check out my other thread on my charging issues on my brand new Turbo S. I finally told them to order me a new bike. Not taking a chance of this being a lemon and have other electrical issues down the road.

Check out my other thread on my charging issues on my brand new Turbo S. I finally told them to order me a new bike. Not taking a chance of this being a lemon and have other electrical issues down the road.

I saw your thread - this is the main reason I am holding off with going to the dealer as long as I can use the bike - I am 30 days into my 2 year warranty and figured I'll wait till the dust settles with the firmware development / harness issues

Kermit,

I'd get it to the dealer. Keep in mind that John has a Turbo S, not a base Turbo. Our 200W, 468Wh bikes have firmware and specs that have been stable for a couple of years now. His 500W, 691Wh battery bikes is brand new this year.

Doug

I'd get it to the dealer. Keep in mind that John has a Turbo S, not a base Turbo. Our 200W, 468Wh bikes have firmware and specs that have been stable for a couple of years now. His 500W, 691Wh battery bikes is brand new this year.
Doug

I will drop by to get the diagnostics readout - but short off plugging a laptop in they can't do much at this point

Looks like I have a friend from the Down Under: New owner of Turbo

Last edited:
Back