1st e-bike conversion, talk me up, or talk me down!

Hi there,

As a bit of a ebike build veteran I can say with all due respect that bike is the antithesis of an ebike candidate. Put down on paper what you would like to end up with, get on ebay buy a cheap frame that can accomodate the battery, disc brakes, a gear set if you want mid drive, and so on, you will be surprised how cheaply you can achieve a high spec bike and a huge sense of achievement and its great fun.

Thanks PS,

I appreciate the response, and I've come to more or less the same conclusion. I still think I could pull it off, but I'd be limited to a 350w mid-drive like the https://ebikemarketplace.com/collec...ue-sensor-mxus-mid-drive-motor-kit-e-bike-kit or the https://www.amazon.com/TongSheng-Version-Conversion-Chainwheel-Electric/dp/B01JP6M3AE/ to fit the weird bottom bracket / downtube architecture, which would be wimpy, but probably suitable for a lightweight build. But then there's the battery question. I found a 36v 10ah bottle style that would probably fit on my seat tube, but then I'm down to 36v. So, in the end, the best I could reasonably hope for would be a low-powered, short-range, indisputably good-looking bike that cost well over $1000 to build. I'll probably end up doing fantasy / vapor builds based on the advice here for a year or two while saving up for a Luna Fat BABE.

If you want a mid drive, buy a harley v-twin. You are not going to get any exercise on a mid drive. Except a yamaha or brose which doesn't drag with the power off. I ride power off for my heart/lungs, but when the wind was 40 mph in my face yesterday, the geared hub motor dragged me into the storm. Good time to have extra lung capacity, I've got covid19 and it has slowed me down but didn't put me on oxygen.
I think katysax must never ride in the rain. Rim brakes don't work in the rain after a puddle, I don't care what pads they have. Disk brakes do; I have cheap tektro mechanicals. Your proposed donor bike is all wrong. You can get something better with rusted chain & cables at a charity resale shop for <$50.
The warnings about conversion cost are bogus. My conversion was $820, getting me a 17.5 AH 48 v battery that will take me 30+ miles across 77 hills. You can't hardly buy a built bike with bigger than 14 AH battery. Cheap ebikes don't have enough frame to carry groceries home, not even to carry a full tire changing kit as I do. Rear baskets mounted to the seat post sway from side to side, always scrape the rear tire. You need a wide yoke in the back to really support even a wald basket.

Last edited:
Whoah, almost missed that revelation in there. Are you doing okay @indianajo?
34 days of 3.5 deg fever is annoying and tiring. Not dangerous, since my normal is 95.7 deg. The only thing physician has for this is acetamenaphen & asperin. Disease fatigues me into a nap every day after lunch, which ruins my productivity while the weather is good. Glad it is not worse. Main way I know I have it, 3 days in beginning I couldn't smell food, not even diet sunkist soda. Get out there & build up your lungs, everybody. While you have the chance.

@indianajo

Sorry to hear about your illness, and wish you a full and speedy recovery.

I'm sure you didn't mean for your reply to come off as arrogant, but it kind of does, and in all honesty it's filled me with the desire to toss this (https://www.amazon.com/TongSheng-Version-Conversion-Chainwheel-Electric/dp/B01JP6M3AE/) on my bike just to post pictures of the fun I'd have on it here, but I'm too old and wise to act out of spite.

Not everyone wants/needs an ebike for the same reasons you do.

I've ridden motorcycles as my daily driver for decades, in all kinds of weather, and am fully aware of the importance of disk brakes in adverse conditions, and have no intention of riding any bicycle in them. Nor do I need my ebike to carry all of my worldly possessions, or serve as my only means of transport. When it rains or snows, or I need to bring home groceries, I use my car. For exercise I ride my analog bike, or go rowing, or hit the gym. And while I'm sure lugging around 17.5 AH of battery at all times (plenty of factory bikes meet or exceed this capacity, by the way) improves your workout, my needs would be adequately met by 14 or even 10 AH, as I live 2 miles from work.

I want an ebike to ride to work on nice days without showing up sweaty, and to bomb around the paved network of trails around here. I want a mid-drive because it's quite hilly where I live, and it's a more durable investment than a hub motor, as it can be easily swapped to a new build in future regardless of the type of bicycle if that's something I decide I'm interested in.

Happy biking.

I only consider the 1000w BBSHD, as I've heard that the BBS02 has issues with a nylon gear.
Pure drivel! An urban legend with no facts to back it up. We sell thousands in parts every month. And have a dozen dealers. None sold this year or last year. We did repair some BBSHD's with cranked up wattages. But not s single warranty return for a plastic gear in 3 years. Biktrix reports just a few. This whole ridiculous urban legend happened when a builder ran a fatbike in deep snow.

34 days of 3.5 deg fever is annoying and tiring. Not dangerous, since my normal is 95.7 deg. The only thing physician has for this is acetamenaphen & asperin. Disease fatigues me into a nap every day after lunch, which ruins my productivity while the weather is good. Glad it is not worse. Main way I know I have it, 3 days in beginning I couldn't smell food, not even diet sunkist soda. Get out there & build up your lungs, everybody. While you have the chance.
Please take good care, the golden years can resemble products from Uranus!

It's an option but for a larger heavier battery I caution against putting that amount of weight that high up, it may topple and/or affect handling, inside the triangle, low and center, is best, but on a rear rack if you need to. I've seen conversions with a battery in a front basket but that works best if the basket is fixed and mounted to the frame not the handlebar else the weight will pull the handlebar around to either side.
One exception to a high mount seems to be longer wheelbase flat foot/crank forward frames. IME with the 4 I still own. I was pleasantly surprises that common wisdom had at least one exception.

34 days of 3.5 deg fever is annoying and tiring. Not dangerous, since my normal is 95.7 deg. The only thing physician has for this is acetaminophen & aspirin. Disease fatigues me into a nap every day after lunch, which ruins my productivity while the weather is good. Glad it is not worse. Main way I know I have it, 3 days in beginning I couldn't smell food, not even diet Sunkist soda. Get out there & build up your lungs, everybody. While you have the chance.

We hope you are feeling better soon! ;)

Ask your doctor about other therapies that are now approved on a trial basis... I won't recommend anything specific so as to not create controversy on EBR.

Pure drivel! An urban legend with no facts to back it up. We sell thousands in parts every month. And have a dozen dealers. None sold this year or last year. We did repair some BBSHD's with cranked up wattages. But not s single warranty return for a plastic gear in 3 years. Biktrix reports just a few. This whole ridiculous urban legend happened when a builder ran a fatbike in deep snow.

Thanks, Thomas. Good information!

I've landed on this single-speed Gravity Deadeye 27.5Plus MTB on as the build bike.

Planning to rebuild the back wheel with the Sturmey 5-speed IGH, shift the brake cable that runs under the top tube to that, then run new hydraulic calipers to the existing discs. Wish there was a 2nd set of guides under the top tube. Problemsolvers has a nice item that fits in the cable stops and provides a hydraulic line guide, but I'll be needing that.

Once it's working as a bike I'll turn my attention to the Bafang.

Attachments

• 52A64EDE-EB15-47B5-9F39-B32226A5F5B1.jpeg
    52A64EDE-EB15-47B5-9F39-B32226A5F5B1.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 385
Love the make the bike right first plan!

Well... it's just a plan. I hear you can dump a 3k watt mid drive on a single speed and just go! ; )

Since I'm all in on internal geared hubs for ebikes I was drawn to the nice horizontal dropouts at the back. Won't need a chain tensioner!

Last edited:
Thanks, Thomas. Good information!

I've landed on this single-speed Gravity Deadeye 27.5Plus MTB on as the build bike.

Planning to rebuild the back wheel with the Sturmey 5-speed IGH, shift the brake cable that runs under the top tube to that, then run new hydraulic calipers to the existing discs.
Wish there was a 2nd set of guides under the top tube. Problemsolvers has a nice item that fits in the cable stops and provides a hydraulic line guide, but I'll be needing that.

Once it's working as a bike I'll turn my attention to the Bafang.

Clyde, welcome to EBR!

Great idea to build the Gravity as a EMTB 27.5 Plus... BD had a similar idea with the Gravity Fat Tire Monster. ;)

1593317378474.png

Single-speed can be a problem with a mid-drive unless the gear ratio is well thought out. I built out a single speed MAC but it's more of a commuter than multiple duty bike. I did run a BBSHD as a single speed on a 7speed freewheel. It took throttle starts from a dead stop without shifting in 3 or 4 the gear (memory fails) and still was quite quick to top speeds over 25MPH. I put 1000 miles on it. Much easier on the chain too.

Very kind, oh air-cooled one!

The Gravity bikes do seem solidly built, and you can't argue with the price. I actually ordered two, as I wanted the 27.5x2.8 wheelset but waited too long. They only had the 19" frame left, so I ordered the 29er for the 17.5" frame. The fact that the 'Matte Black' of the 27Plus is wildly inferior to the 29er's 'Super Stealth Dark' did not enter into the equation!

As excited as I was to use the Sturmey 5-speed IGH, more research last night reveals that nothing beats a 3-speed for durability in the IGH world (Sheldon Brown needs a hobby!) unless you've got Rohloff money between the sofa cushions. The external shifting mechanism that sits out on the end of the axle in the Nexus-3 is a hideous eyesore, and the chain-through-axle, while less visually heinous, reminds me of the unit from my 1974 Bluebeard banana bike. So it's the Sturmey-3 that wins the day for its lack of protrusions outside the frame (and six-bolt disk mount).

Anyone tried the pre-bled hydraulic brake kits you see on Amazon? They appear to be decent Shimano gear and priced between $90-300? This one looks pretty sweet:

Single-speed can be a problem with a mid-drive unless the gear ratio is well thought out. I built out a single speed MAC but it's more of a commuter than multiple duty bike. I did run a BBSHD as a single speed on a 7speed freewheel. It took throttle starts from a dead stop without shifting in 3 or 4 the gear (memory fails) and still was quite quick to top speeds over 25MPH. I put 1000 miles on it. Much easier on the chain too.

Thanks Thomas,

Yeah. Getting the gearing right would be critical for a single-speed. But why spend extra for a mid-drive and not take advantage of the possibility of a low and high gear option, amirite? I think a 42-44T up front and an 18 out back should make for a nice all-around street/trail range. If my Nexus-4 were disc rather than just a freewheel I'd have tried that, as it's 1:1 in first gear. Speeeeeeed!

Last edited:
Very kind, oh air-cooled one!
The Gravity bikes do seem solidly built, and you can't argue with the price. I actually ordered two, as I wanted the 27.5x2.8 wheelset but waited too long. They only had the 19" frame left, so I ordered the 29er for the 17.5" frame. The fact that the 'Matte Black' of the 27Plus is wildly inferior to the 29er's 'Super Stealth Dark' did not enter into the equation!

As excited as I was to use the Sturmey 5-speed IGH, more research last night reveals that nothing beats a 3-speed for durability in the IGH world (Sheldon Brown needs a hobby!) unless you've got Rohloff money between the sofa cushions. The external shifting mechanism that sits out on the end of the axle in the Nexus-3 is a hideous eyesore, and the chain-through-axle, while less visually heinous, reminds me of the unit from my 1974 Bluebeard banana bike. So it's the Sturmey-3 that wins the day for its lack of protrusions outside the frame (and six-bolt disk mount).

Anyone tried the pre-bled hydraulic brake kits you see on Amazon? They appear to be decent Shimano gear and priced between $90-300? This one looks pretty sweet:

Sounds like a great build!

BD also has a new page listing wheel and tire deals including a complete 27.5"x 2.8" wheelset for $250. ;)
Regarding the Brake set, I run Shimano SLX brakes with an XT drive train on my EBikes... no need to spend more on brakes.
The price for a complete set is really hard to beat including resin pads... just remember to pair with ice-tech rotors for max cooling.

Back