EG Athens 250 and child trailer/child seat

hhmom

I'm looking into an electric assist bike I can use for a 4.4 mile commute with a 3 year old in a rear rack mounted seat and a 5 year old in a trailer, along with various backpacks, etc. I am an average-sized woman and we would have to go up one fairly long hill during our ride and a couple shorter, steeper hills. I'm totally happy to pedal to assist the motor, so I don't expect to do no work, but I absolutely can't do it with that weight on my current, non electric bike. Any thoughts on the EG Athens? I like the price and features.

how are you on maintenance and repairs? able to do it yourself or is there a good service location nearby for this model?

In one of his reviews, I think for another EG model, you can hear a guest expert tell Court that the Athens is the best bike in that price range.

That said, the price range is "cheap"!

My wife is in love with her EG Athens. Like you said - you are willing to help pedal up the hills. As long as you go into this thinking the bike is going to assist you and not the other way around you will be fine. The EG is a very solid bike for the price point. The pedal assist works very well as it is a 12 magnet sensor. The bike also comes with fenders and lights, so it has a lot of features. I have no doubt in saying that the bike will suit your needs. The only thing to consider is the rear wheel does not have a quick release. It is bolted on. I don't know if that will matter for the trailer you want to use.

Hi,

Did you get the Athens?
If you did...
You mentioned the hill, how does it handle it?
Have you attempted to ride any distance?

Thanks,
Irene

I'm looking into an electric assist bike I can use for a 4.4 mile commute with a 3 year old in a rear rack mounted seat and a 5 year old in a trailer, along with various backpacks, etc. I am an average-sized woman and we would have to go up one fairly long hill during our ride and a couple shorter, steeper hills. I'm totally happy to pedal to assist the motor, so I don't expect to do no work, but I absolutely can't do it with that weight on my current, non electric bike. Any thoughts on the EG Athens? I like the price and features.

I know this post is old, but I'm wondering if you ended up using the Athens with a trailer and bike seat. How did the motor hold up over time? We have a newer Athens (350W motor) and have started hauling a trailer with either 2 kids or a big load of groceries. Even in 1st gear the motor feel underpowered going up some hills and I worry that we might be putting some strain on it. Thanks!

Back