Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Thanks for the super fast reply Stefan. As far as I could make out, the bike was not used a lot.
I read in some of the comments that Specialized was committed to continue producing these batteries for a few years, is this still the case?
Also, in your opinion, is it worth buying an ebike of this age or am I looking for trouble here? 😅
In my opinion, you're looking for trouble. I don't know whether those batteries are still made: ask a Specialized dealer. If the battery is degraded, new battery might cost an equivalent of USD1000. Worthwhile? Note: Specialized released Vado first in 2017, applying completely different technology (mid-drive instead of hub-drive).

I agree with the previous reply. Buying a new battery for your Turbo bike is throwing money to the trash. I don't know from your region, but here in Europe the battery with the highest capacity could still be found in some bike store for no less than 1000 dollars (and you're still buying an old battery). Save that money and get a new bike.

I still have 2 batteries with more than 400 charging cycles on them and they still work, but the problem for me was never the battery actually. Is the back wheel motor. It's always the f... motor.

I've changed the motor for a new one (replaced by the warranty for the 4th time) and it now shows the same problem as the previous ones, it starts spinning like crazy as soon as you push the pedal. So I've bought a motorbike, not an e-bike.

I'd definitely try for another brand with a more standard motor like a Yamaha or of the sort, never again Specialized with their Apple-like parts and replacement program.

In my opinion, you're looking for trouble. I don't know whether those batteries are still made: ask a Specialized dealer. If the battery is degraded, new battery might cost an equivalent of USD1000. Worthwhile? Note: Specialized released Vado first in 2017, applying completely different technology (mid-drive instead of hub-drive).
Thank you for the honest reply. Much appreciated.

I agree with the previous reply. Buying a new battery for your Turbo bike is throwing money to the trash. I don't know from your region, but here in Europe the battery with the highest capacity could still be found in some bike store for no less than 1000 dollars (and you're still buying an old battery). Save that money and get a new bike.

I still have 2 batteries with more than 400 charging cycles on them and they still work, but the problem for me was never the battery actually. Is the back wheel motor. It's always the f... motor.

I've changed the motor for a new one (replaced by the warranty for the 4th time) and it now shows the same problem as the previous ones, it starts spinning like crazy as soon as you push the pedal. So I've bought a motorbike, not an e-bike.

I'd definitely try for another brand with a more standard motor like a Yamaha or of the sort, never again Specialized with their Apple-like parts and replacement program.
Wow sounds like in your own experience this is a nightmare bike whichever way I look at it. This is definitely out of warranty. Any recommendations? Do Bosch-driven bikes have better motors?

It was a nightmare bike, yes. But still I made more than 10k miles with it, and in a shitty weather like the Swedish one, I guess there's still no "nordic-certified" e-bike yet. You need a tank to stand the bad weather here, but still. It's very lame that the bike has always failed on the same point, the back-wheel. I would definitely go for a Bosh or Yamaha or something like of the sort (but I'd of course make my research first).

The only positive thing I have to admit about Specialized is that they extended the warranty up to 4 years (it's by law 2 years), because the issue was the same all the time, so new replacement, another extension, but it was really a problem for me to had to drive my car 60 miles to the dealer for every issue every time.

My final advice: get an e-bike to the closest dealer possible, never purchase on the internet just for pricing to get a few bucks off, go to a store and make sure they can fix any issue with your e-bike (they should have the means, a proper workshop, and be capable of the repairs or dealing with the brand as good as possible).

Do Bosch-driven bikes have better motors?
No. Let us not discuss the past. No big e-bike motor brand offers hub-drive motors anymore (the exception is Mahle with their Ebikemotion X35 road e-bike motor).
Current Turbo Vado and Como e-bikes have the strongest, most silent and the best programmed motors (Specialized/Brose).
Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, and Mahle mid-motors are very good: Every and each of these systems has their ups and down.

Specialized has made a giant leap since 2016.

Thanks for the super fast reply Stefan. As far as I could make out, the bike was not used a lot.
I read in some of the comments that Specialized was committed to continue producing these batteries for a few years, is this still the case?
Also, in your opinion, is it worth buying an ebike of this age or am I looking for trouble here? 😅
Don't worry about the batteries as much as the condition of the motor. The motors are very hard to replace or fix since Go Swiss is gone and they were a unique version for Specialized. The batteries came with a 300 charge "guarantee" and people assumed that was the total available. If it is a 2016 model it should connect to the Mission Control app and have the larger 640 AH battery (with BLT). The app should show the number of cycles and the motor. The other motor item is the pawl gears that engage the cassette. When you shift you should let up on the pedals a touch to allow the pawls to engage. I wore them out on one motor and it is not a standard DT Swiss size you can find from shops. Fortunately for me I was able to get the motor replaced under warranty at the time thanks to the dealer. Ride it see how it feels. Check that the wheel sensors are good by watching if the power stops when you stop peddling. Sadly since it's an orphan model don't pay a premium but it still may be a good buy.

Edit since there were replies when I was typing. I have 10K miles but I did go through one motor under warranty and I was able to replace the second motor with a sensor issue for 500 USD. The motor actually worked ok but it would not stop when I quit peddling in ECO mode after a couple of years. Some people would have liked to have had that feature but I wanted to get it fixed while there were parts. I let the ebike shop keep the motor in case they were able to fix it for someone else. I have the Vado SL in addition to the Turbo S. Since I an no longer commuting I wanted a lightly assisted bicycle.

Last edited:

I'd stay far far away from that Turbo. Batteries and lots of service parts are NLA, keep in mind a few years back in 2016 means support through 2019. With the revamped Turbo Vado/Como relying on Brose for motor support you can be confident that service parts will continue to be available. Also be aware that the warranty doesn't transfer with a used e bike.

To be honest, most mid-level hub ebikes (think Radpower, Ride1up, and Aventon) are probably a much better choice. If it was a mid-drive I might swing my opinion a little but the 2016 turbo is an old rear hub motor. Unless you are getting a REALLY good price on the turbo, I'd look at other options.

To be honest, most mid-level hub ebikes (think Radpower, Ride1up, and Aventon) are probably a much better choice. If it was a mid-drive I might swing my opinion a little but the 2016 turbo is an old rear hub motor. Unless you are getting a REALLY good price on the turbo, I'd look at other options.
We don't know from what region Kradzero is.

My final advice: get an e-bike to the closest dealer possible, never purchase on the internet just for pricing to get a few bucks off, go to a store and make sure they can fix any issue with your e-bike (they should have the means, a proper workshop, and be capable of the repairs or dealing with the brand as good as possible).
Also , don't buy Specialized unless it comes with a loaner ebike in case of malfunctions.

Bosch motor will soon be obsolete as Shimano vastly superior EP8 takes over.
In emtb. It is already happening, and that will follow to the commuter ebikes. So no Bosch either to b safe . Higher resale value with the Shimano EP8/9 later in the future.

Also , don't buy Specialized unless it comes with a loaner ebike in case of malfunctions.

In emtb. It is already happening, and that will follow to the commuter ebikes. So no Bosch either to b safe . Higher resale value with the Shimano EP8/9 later in the future.
I guess all of the Specialized Vado owners with Brose motors are confused by this post!

Did you find out what was included in the update?
That's a timely request. I've been thinking about going by the lbs and getting the update which individual owner can't do. All my stuff is working fine so have to wonder what the improvement or change is.

Hahahahahahahahahaha, yeah...no...

Bosch and Brose are well established, as are Shimano and Yamaha. Granted I wouldn't get a Brose bike outside of Specialized, they're all industry leading, arguably with Bosch in the lead.

I'm glad that u know Brose has zero customer service presence in US.
Although Brose doesn’t have direct customer service in North America the LBS are trained in Brose systems and they can contact Brose if they need to. After 5,000 kilometres no issues on my Brose motor, still quiet and powerful enough for my needs. My LBS is doing software updates and continue to get Brose training. So I’m glad I don’t need to deal with Brose that is the dealers job.

Brendon, I’m curious what constitutes Brose training. I’m thinking a 3 ring binder with a phone number. What type of training is there?

Back