'Zen Skunkworks' - a new model in the development

This bike is getting ready for production at the factory.
Please note, the production version will our own BMS that improves the battery lifetime and the battery capacity is 52V, 20Ah.
Motor: 500W Nominal, 750W peak mid-motor with 120Nm rated torque.

Other features:
  1. A throttle (very important for a lot of people)
  2. Integrated lights (1000 lumen front, rear light) and rear rack.
  3. Longer fenders, slightly curved handlebars,
  4. suspension seatpost and the gusset near the motor would be nicer looking.

This is a prototype sample Zen Photo model that was built about 2 weeks ago to check the sizing and assembly process.
The production versions will have longer front and rear fenders.
As promised, it will have Mid-drive with throttle, 52V,20Ah battery pack, gates belt drive, Enviolo heavy-duty hub, air-suspension, etc.

1684851647226.jpeg

This will be the Zen "Photon" model for $3,000 Canadian price? Bafang mid-drive motor?

edit. just noticed on Zen website, it's listed at $4,899(Canadian).

Last edited:
This will be the Zen "Photon" model for $3,000 Canadian price? Bafang mid-drive motor?
This is the photon model with a large battery and belt drive. It is impossible to find a bike of this quality for $3000 CAD anywhere in the world.
This will be priced at $4899 and we are taking $300 deposits for delivery in late June or early July. This will have a custom Zen mid-drive motor.

At your partner store in Halifax, EShop, it's listed for $2,999. That's where I was looking originally. After I posted first time, then I thought of checking your Zen website, where it's listed for $4,899.

Looks good! Will there be any other options for a different hub? Can the nicer components be purchased on the hub-motor version?

This is the photon model with a large battery and belt drive. It is impossible to find a bike of this quality for $3000 CAD anywhere in the world.
This will be priced at $4899 and we are taking $300 deposits for delivery in late June or early July. This will have a custom Zen mid-drive motor.
Judging by the pic, the custom mid-drive motor is based on the Ananda m100 motor - is this correct? In any case 120nm is much better than 85 or 90nm from the typical motors 👍.

Last edited:
Ravi, is it possible to have Johnny Watts or eRuban tires instead of the Super Moto X tires? My wife rides on a lot of pathways with compact gravel and I thought the JW or eRuban tires would be a better choice.

Looks good! Will there be any other options for a different hub? Can the nicer components be purchased on the hub-motor version?

It has the same hub + wheelset we use on the Samurai model.
We could install Rohloff or Kindernay, but we believe, Enviolo is a more appropriate choice.
I believe it could be a really nice option for those looking for a step-thru option.

Ravi, is it possible to have Johnny Watts or eRuban tires instead of the Super Moto X tires? My wife rides on a lot of pathways with compact gravel and I thought the JW or eRuban tires would be a better choice.

Sure, installing JW tires is not a problem at all

Some more details about the Zen Photon model specifications.

Motor​
Zen Custom 52V, 500W, 120Nm torque, 32 km/hr (Canada), 45 km/hr (USA)
5-levels of pedal assist + throttle
Battery & charger​
52V, 20Ah (~1000 Whr)
BMS tested to UL standard
52V, 4A, UL-certified charger​
Transmission system​
Gates Carbon Belt drive – 55T (front), 22T (rear)
https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/products/ebikes
Gearbox/hub​
Enviolo Heavy Duty IGH – 380%
36H, Max weight 250kg​
Front Suspension​
E-bike specific, Boost spacing, RST Aerial 27.5” x 2.6”
https://rstsuspension.com/products/aerial/
Brakes​
Tektro E-500 Hydraulic brakes with E-cutoff
https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=39
Wheels and Tires​
27.5” MTB wheels with 36 spokes
and Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires​
Accessories, lighting, carrying capacity​
Adjustable stem, Full cover fenders, rear rack (25 kgs), front rack (15kgs), ZEN suspension seatpost
Size and color​
17” (5ft 8” or below)
19” (5ft 9” or above)
White and carbon grey colors

The display is a customized LCD color display with a USB-C charge port for phones and accessories. The shifter is a premium version of the Enviolo heavy-duty one attached to Ergonomic grips.

1685423817987.png

1685423790332.png

1685423908064.png

Our website also has this bike on pre-order.

That’s an incredible looking bike! Great work. I can’t wait to buy one. As a daily bike commuter that checks all my boxes!

This week, our facility is optimizing the packing process to ensure highest safety. Also, the final assembly of Enviolo hub, battery installation and QC/QA will be done in Canada.; this enables us greater control over final product and identify any issues before shipping to the customer. Here is an image with the dummy sample to test the packing efficiency.

1686264939410.jpeg

Ravi,
Any Idea on when the Hub motor version will be avaliable for preorder?
It will be available for pre-order next week. Next week, production of Photon bikes will get completed and soon after that, the hub motor version will be completed.

Zen Photon bikes for Canadian residents have the option for 45 km/hr model(not only to 32 km/hr)? Or just the settings need to be changed, that could be done by anyone?

This week, our facility is optimizing the packing process to ensure highest safety. Also, the final assembly of Enviolo hub, battery installation and QC/QA will be done in Canada.; this enables us greater control over final product and identify any issues before shipping to the customer. Here is an image with the dummy sample to test the packing efficiency.

View attachment 155578

It will be available for pre-order next week. Next week, production of Photon bikes will get completed and soon after that, the hub motor version will be completed.
I appreciate most of the tedious and vital being preassembled.

Zen Photon bikes for Canadian residents have the option for 45 km/hr model(not only to 32 km/hr)? Or just the settings need to be changed, that could be done by anyone?
The Canadian version is limited to 32 km/hr and ships as such. If the customer wants to unlock higher top speed for their off-road use, they could do so if they are willing to release Zen from any liability and write a letter.

I appreciate most of the tedious and vital being preassembled.
Thanks for your comment. We will make sure the QC/QA is done properly before shipping out the bikes.

The Canadian version is limited to 32 km/hr and ships as such. If the customer wants to unlock higher top speed for their off-road use, they could do so if they are willing to release Zen from any liability and write a letter.

Thanks for your comment. We will make sure the QC/QA is done properly before shipping out the bikes.
I couldn't adjust the front brake on the last ebike I acquired, turns out part of the caliper was missing( so much for QC)

Back