'Zen Skunkworks' - a new model in the development

I personally, as an owner of one, wouldn't recommend the M620 for a rental bike. Perhaps the new M560 that appears to be the latest refinement of the M600 that still will have plenty of power and be much lighter might be a better option? I do like the concept of this bike though.

Note: If you are thinking different motors, and for the future when it becomes available, keep the new Pinion MGU motor plus gearbox in mind, that would be perfect for that bike!

Pinion MGU is a great motor but we will test it thoroughly before offering it to the market. I think the power of the Pinion MGU would be on par with Bosch CX but without all the added complexity of the internal gear hub.
We are also keeping a close eye on the Valeo motor as well. We would much rather do thorough testing before we bring anything to the market. The motor we are offering on the photon was built by former Bafang engineers and we have tested it throughly for over a year. It certainly offers more power than Bosch CX and has higher torque, additionally, it offers throttle feature that many customers wanted to see.

What I would love to see is a Belt with tensioner like on the many full suspension bikes that have been showing up lately (although mostly in Europe).
And I would love the option of the Enviolo with the AutomatiQ shifter.
We have a few designs in the test phase. Ideally, we would want to bring full-suspension, belt drive with an integrated motor+gearbox.
To your first question, we can certainly offer Bafang M620 motor with 3X3 Rohloff hub on a full-suspension model.

Pinion MGU is a great motor but we will test it thoroughly before offering it to the market. I think the power of the Pinion MGU would be on par with Bosch CX but without all the added complexity of the internal gear hub.
We are also keeping a close eye on the Valeo motor as well. We would much rather do thorough testing before we bring anything to the market. The motor we are offering on the photon was built by former Bafang engineers and we have tested it throughly for over a year. It certainly offers more power than Bosch CX and has higher torque, additionally, it offers throttle feature that many customers wanted to see.

Agreed, I just thought I mentioned it as I think it is the future of easy to use e-Bikes.
Good point on the throttle, it will remain a lacking feature on Valeo and Pinion, unless we can hack it...

We have a few designs in the test phase. Ideally, we would want to bring full-suspension, belt drive with an integrated motor+gearbox.
To your first question, we can certainly offer Bafang M620 motor with 3X3 Rohloff hub on a full-suspension model.
That sounds great.
If you can do a belt drive with tensioner, any reason you would not offer Enviolo?
The AutomatiQ shifting is supposed to have become quite good.

Pinion MGU is unfortunately 2 years way from the US market. When it gets here they may offer throttle, and hopefully a bit more power. Very exciting for the future, but sad everything is moving so slow.

Hi Ravi I am looking for an upper end hub drive , ....
We can build you a powerful bike with a 1000Whr battery, Rohloff option, and Gates belt, and if we use, Bafang ultra motor, ....
I think the correct answer right now is; No sorry we're not currently building [ offering ] anything like that.
Not sure why a complete diversion was suggested.

Last edited:
I think the correct answer right now is; No sorry we're not currently building anything like that.
I saw his answer as helpful.
I see your wish list and this is what we currently have available and how it could be customized.
Why not let the asker decide whether or not it was appreciated?

I think the correct answer right now is; No sorry we're not currently building anything like that.

Actually, we have been testing one for the past 1 year. It has 750W hub motor, 20Ah battery, torque sensor etc. There are some good bikes out there like there but we don't want to one more among a sea of bikes. We would like it to be extremely reliable and safe.
You can see it here: https://zenebikes.ca/products/shakti

We wanted to make it as reliable and smooth as it can be. The only reason we have not brought this into production is we are spending close to $1.5M on Canadian battery production facility to make state-of-the-art batteries. We hope to have wire-bonded, advanced E-bike batteries by the end of the year. If you all support us by purchasing our products, we will bring some really cool-stuff that everyone can be proud of.

1688317885067.png

Actually, we have been testing one for the past 1 year.
OK maybe 'offering' would have been a better word, but you didn't really address that.
I defiantly support what you are trying to do, impressed you are trying it in Canada, and admire your savvy marketing and political acumen. I just don't get into the cult mindset of social media. If it fails it won't be because of Engineering or product development it seems. Good luck, and good execution.

@Ravi Kempaiah
Is this Full suspension step thru project still happening?

If so any target date for availability?

Would your partner be interested in a full-suspension SUV bike that she can use both on/off-road ?
Here is a prototype of our bike.
It comes with RockShox front and rear, Dropper post, 4-piston Tektro brakes, 27.5"x2.4" Schwalbe tires; It has a decent 48V,13.5Ah battery, and 500W, 120Nm mid-motor that is a bit more powerful than Bosch CX. It is much lighter than any bike with Bafang ultra motor and heavier batteries.
These kinds of SUV bikes are perfect for both commuting and light off-road.
For anyone interested, please drop me a note; we are receiving a few of these bikes in August.

Zen Saral FS pro_watermark1.png

Last edited:
The bike above looks good!
My preference is not specific to design but more “results”
reliable…I hardly work on my bikes , can’t lift them and need it to work when I am normally 40-55 miles from home all the time
Maintenance free as much as possible, bike should ooze quality. modular design?
Fast . I would like the ability to cruise at 30-32 mph on flat smooth surface “off road” with much leg power but a slower than average cadence
Brakes that don’t fade at all, not so much into feel but just stopping power
Torque sensor feeling style.
Fenders and rear rack
Light good enough to ride at night without additions and I can independently turn off completely , brake light turn signals , safety first
All weather spare battery holder not in my panniers, removable
Quiet As my older DD hub bikes
Smooth as possible . Don’t know if I want full suspension due to reliability and no experience but don’t need it for getting air just as much comfort as possible
Only electronics needed for ota updates
Accurate speedometer/ odometer
Finger/thumb operated shifting , no auto but electronic is good
Repairs can be done by most shops using nonproprietary parts is a plus but since it is reliable…
All user adjustments available through the setup menu
Throttle which is very useable for slow speed and high speed…take off , a 30 second break but want to keep speed and also get me home I am hurt… hopefully not used much
Prefer diamond style frame but not required
Range of 125 miles at higher speed, 1 battery best more as needed
Able to use a standard ebike rack so I guess 65lbs or less? I would remove all batteries and anything else that comes off but want light weight covers so nothing is exposed to the elements that shouldn’t be

How long would a chain last if was connected to an IGH instead of a belt?

I may come up with more later :)

Ravi, “TAKE MY MONEY!”

Would your partner be interested in a full-suspension SUV bike that she can use both on/off-road ?
Here is a prototype of our bike.
It comes with RockShox front and rear, Dropper post, 4-piston Tektro brakes, 27.5"x2.4" Schwalbe tires; It has a decent 48V,13.5Ah battery, and 500W, 120Nm mid-motor that is a bit more powerful than Bosch CX. It is much lighter than any bike with Bafang ultra motor and heavier batteries.
These kinds of SUV bikes are perfect for both commuting and light off-road.
For anyone interested, please drop me a note; we are receiving a few of these bikes in August.

View attachment 157260

Very promising and is what my wife needs when it comes with belt and Enviolo :)
Will need to confirm frame size make sure it is not too large.

I do like the look of your other FS step thru project better but time frame will play a role....

Very promising and is what my wife needs when it comes with belt and Enviolo :)
Will need to confirm frame size make sure it is not too large.

I do like the look of your other FS step thru project better but time frame will play a role....
I concur... the white FS Step thru is a bit sportier looking and not as box'y
You hit the nail on the head with the Bulls... it looks like a dream.
Eurobike_2023_News_E-MTB_WEB-7185-1.jpg

Though the Ravi_ride is a close second 😉
1684889606882 (1).png
It just needs an MGU!

A lot of these FS step thru are coming which is encouraging.

Unfortunately, 90% of them are in Europe and not reaching the US, which is frustrating, and why Zen has a short term opportunity :)

Last edited:
The BMS used on the Zen Photon is a tier above most common E-bike batteries. Built to UL-standard, we belive it offers better safety.
Instead of rat nest of wires running for balance leads, everything is built into a large PCB board.
Actual pictures of the Photon battery taken apart.

1688778552968.png

1688778578782.png

The motor we are offering on the photon was built by former Bafang engineers and we have tested it throughly for over a year. It certainly offers more power than Bosch CX and has higher torque, additionally, it offers throttle feature that many customers wanted to see.

I haven’t ridden a Bosch CX powered bike, but I have your version of the Photon motor in my bike in the 48 volt version minus the throttle. I have impressed by the smoothness, torque and quietness of the motor. I have managed to eak out nearly 48 klm/h on my bike. I bought my wife the step through version and she has managed just over 48 klm/h. Based on specs it would appear to be close to a M600 Bafang?

Should be a winner with your customers Ravi 👍

Last edited:
Back