'Zen Skunkworks' - a new model in the development

Ravi, I ordered the white painted frame for my wife, but I'd like, if possible, to switch to the carbon grey.
thanks
Ron

I will request our team to update the order sheet to 17" - Carbon grey.
If you need any other upgrades, let us know. We now have the option to upgrade the brakes to 4-piston Tektro E-725 for $150 CAD.

1687122424392.png

Wow! this guy Ravi and Zen team are awesome.
I would buy an ebike from Zen if they have full suspension Emtbs with Bosch race motor. I like aluminium frame. Fox or Ohlins for suspension.
Funny you mention that!
We are building a full-suspension Bosch E-mtb with FOX-36 with 180mm travel, 625Whr battery and it is a very tough carbon fiber frame.
We could install the Bosch Race motor if you would like. Here is a picture of the frame we are building.

1687123397445.png

To anyone reading this. If you are in the market for a fantastic E-mtb, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are building a top-of-the-line E-mtb with Bosch CX (Speed/Race if you would prefer) motor, 625 Whr power tube and FOX suspension (180mm front and rear).
We would be happy to customize it for your preference.

Photon mid-drive comes with the Gates Belt drive.
The hub motor version called "Wave" is a chain drive with 9-speed cassette and it will be significantly less expensive than the mid-drive photon.
Thanks so much for your quick response. 👍

Hi Ravi I am looking for an upper end hub drive , can the Wave loaded up? Hi end brakes , electronic shifting , off road unlocked , multiple large batteries, attached lights that are all that is needed, as much suspension for smooth ride , racks and fenders , higher speed charging, etc?

Limited connectivity and smarts , just a great fast bike with low maintenance that a local bike shop can work on

Hoping to scratch that n+1 itch :)

Hi Ravi I am looking for an upper end hub drive , can the Wave loaded up? Hi end brakes , electronic shifting , off road unlocked , multiple large batteries, attached lights that are all that is needed, as much suspension for smooth ride , racks and fenders , higher speed charging, etc?

Limited connectivity and smarts , just a great fast bike with low maintenance that a local bike shop can work on

Hoping to scratch that n+1 itch :)

We can build you a powerful bike with a 1000Whr battery, Rohloff option, and Gates belt, and if we use, Bafang ultra motor, we could do it.
On top of this, you can add fancier brakes, lights, Kinekt seatpost, dual battery options, etc. No connectivity, just a powerful, comfortable ride. Actually, we are building something similar for a client of ours and are happy to get one for you as well.

Last edited:
Initial few Zen Photon bikes rolling off the production and under testing before being shipped to Canada for final assembly of battery, wheels, racks and QC/QA.
Just like the new iPhone, we have this new starlight white color on the bike. Also, it comes the Enviolo premium shifter that indicates gear range.

1687799284826.jpeg

1687798345913.png

1687798425131.png

Attachments

• 1687798312547.jpeg
    1687798312547.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
We can build you a powerful bike with a 1000Whr battery, Rohloff option, and Gates belt, and if we use, Bafang ultra motor, we could do it.
On top of this, you can add fancier brakes, lights, Kinekt seatpost, dual battery options, etc. No connectivity, just a powerful, comfortable ride. Actually, we are building something similar for a client of ours and are happy to get one for you as well.
Ravi, on an Ultra/Gates setup, what kind of belt tensioner would you use?

We received a request from a client who runs tours and rentals for a comfortable, step-thru full-suspension bike that could handle off-road trails and be outfitted with a rear rack and fenders. They are receiving about 50 E-bikes from us. We will be doing a thorough QC on everything.
This bike comes with
  • 750W Bafang Ultra motor,
  • 52V,20Ah pack tested to UL standards
  • 4-piston brakes with E-cutoff from Tektro
  • 27.5" wheels and 2.4" / 2.8" tires from Schwalbe
  • and RockShox front and rear suspensions
  • Currently, we are strengthening some rear rack designs
If there is enough interest from the EBR community and they want any feature added, please let us know, and we can make this happen.

View attachment 150208

View attachment 150170
1679863424874-jpeg.150208

@Ravi Kempaiah
Is this Full suspension step thru project still happening?

If so any target date for availability?

Last edited:
@Ravi Kempaiah
Is this Full suspension step thru project still happening?

If so any target date for availability?

Yes, it is definitely on track. Our focus has been getting the photon bikes out the door but this is definitely happening.
Couple of questions:
  1. For a lot of people, the ultra motor is an overkill. Would you prefer something lighter?
    Ultra weighs in at ~6.7kgs, we are thinking of using the same motor that we have on our Photons at 3.9kgs. What would be your preference?
  2. Also, not everyone would need 52V,20Ah battery and we believe that 52V,15Ah would be sufficient for some people.
    Any thoughts here?

Yes, it is definitely on track. Our focus has been getting the photon bikes out the door but this is definitely happening.
Couple of questions:
  1. For a lot of people, the ultra motor is an overkill. Would you prefer something lighter?
    Ultra weighs in at ~6.7kgs, we are thinking of using the same motor that we have on our Photons at 3.9kgs. What would be your preference?
  2. Also, not everyone would need 52V,20Ah battery and we believe that 52V,15Ah would be sufficient for some people.
    Any thoughts here?
1. I somewhat agree that the lighter motor is desired as the power is probably more than adequate, at least for me.. but for me the lure of the Ultra is the UART customizable programming. I'd gladly pay 2.6kg placed near the center of gravity for that 😉

2. Again I'd agree that the smaller battery would be more than adequate for most of my rides. So why not 48v as I value a small ah gain over a small V gain using a similar amount of cells. Or am I missing something?

Couple of questions:
    Any thoughts here?
Great to hear, cant wait...

MOTOR: The reason for the full suspension is the ability to go on fire trails, which means some steep climbing at times, so I do like to have a fairly powerful motor so we can maintain fast enough stabilization speed going up.
Not sure which motor exactly is on the photon, so I cant be sure how much actual power it has, and how capable of speedy steep climbing it makes it.
I would definitely want something way more capable that the traditional Bosch CX. If the lighter motor offer that, less weight is always good.
Programmability is important to be able to tune the assist to one's preference.
Note: If you are thinking different motors, and for the future when it becomes available, keep the new Pinion MGU motor plus gearbox in mind, that would be perfect for that bike!

BATTERY: Both would be good, if choosing the smaller 780Wh battery, may be have a plug available for a range extender?

What I would love to see is a Belt with tensioner like on the many full suspension bikes that have been showing up lately (although mostly in Europe).
And I would love the option of the Enviolo with the AutomatiQ shifter.

For me (actually my wife) the goal of this bike is to be a single bike to go anywhere (streets and trail), and for someone who is not an experience rider.
So it needs to offer all the simplification an e-Bike has to offer, making the ride simple and painless.

My checkbook is ready :)

Last edited:
Back