As promised, Zen Samurai is getting ready for the launch.
Just from the looks, the all-black color scheme looks like a batmobile. It has an elegant and yet formidable presence.
This particular XL frame was built for a 6ft 4" gentleman. Still, we need to tidy up the cables, align the rear wheel, lots of minor adjustments but it is very close to being done.
Very proud of what the Zen team has accomplished so far. There are so many technical details that go into building a high-quality rig like this.
Without the technical expertise of Paul, Zach, and the whole team, putting together a build of this quality in the middle of a pandemic is VERY challenging.
Finally, thrilled that we will have a US-based enterprise that will offer higher quality bikes and N.American folks don't have to depend on German companies for a bike like this.

View attachment 76270
Well done!

So when are you bringing those back to Chicago for some test rides? :)
I have been planning this for some time and I was hoping to bring it this weekend but it may have to wait until 10 more days just because it takes time to complete all the testing and make sure everything is done right. But, once it is in Chicago, I will make sure to plan a trip to MKE :)

This Zen Samurai, equipped with some of the very best components is ready to take on the world!!
The Zen master Paul is behind the camera and amazing what he has done.
Some really tall gentleman is going to immensely enjoy this XL size bike.

Zen Samurai_01.jpg

Last edited:
It's kind of hard to tell, but if they're 26" wheels, is this for a 7' tall rider?

They are 27.5" wheelsets and the frame is built for someone who is 6ft 4" and long legs.
The top tube is angled downward such that even a 5ft 8" person can clear the XL frame stack height (of course the reach will be too long). Because of they sleek top tube, the wheels looks smaller.
The regular medium and large frames are a lot easy to read and identify the proportion.

To get some feedback on the Zen Samurai, we brought this bike to Madison, WI, and had some veterans in the E-bike industry (Former CEO of BH, Trek manager, etc.) test ride it and they all loved it.
One gentleman traveled all the way from Chicago to test ride and left very impressed by the combination of Bosch Gen 4 speed motor + gates drive system +IGH combo.
Another gentleman from Milwaukee is picking this up next weekend.

Zen Samurai.png

To get some feedback on the Zen Samurai, we brought this bike to Madison, WI, and had some veterans in the E-bike industry (Former CEO of BH, Trek manager, etc.) test ride it and they all loved it.
One gentleman traveled all the way from Chicago to test ride and left very impressed by the combination of Bosch Gen 4 speed motor + gates drive system +IGH combo.

View attachment 81184
Simply Beautiful! With a bike to back that up. Keep up the great work, Ravi and your crew!

View attachment 81184

All the other bikes should be laid down (bowing) to that!! 🤣

As promised, Zen Samurai is getting ready for the launch.
Just from the looks, the all-black color scheme looks like a batmobile. It has an elegant and yet formidable presence.
This particular XL frame was built for a 6ft 4" gentleman. Still, we need to tidy up the cables, align the rear wheel, lots of minor adjustments but it is very close to being done.
Very proud of what the Zen team has accomplished so far. There are so many technical details that go into building a high-quality rig like this.
Without the technical expertise of Paul, Zach, and the whole team, putting together a build of this quality in the middle of a pandemic is VERY challenging.
Finally, thrilled that we will have a US-based enterprise that will offer higher quality bikes and N.American folks don't have to depend on German companies for a bike like this.

View attachment 76270
Beautiful e-bike with top spec components!

IGH, Bosch mid-drive, DTswiss rims, robust frame, powder coated paint, dual battery, high quality suntour suspension, the bike has everything. Very impressive.

Last edited:
stumbled on this thread after having been out of the market for a while - looks like a sweet bike!
i went to the website and was a little lost - are these bikes (esp samurai) officially for sale now? woudl love to test ride
any idea how they would do for either towing a child trailer or seat on the rear rack?

View attachment 81184
I see Diamondback has introduced several models within the spirit of this Zen design envelope. See:

For EBR/Tyson’s first impressions.
If you can actually bring in your baseline derailleur version at your initial proposed price you’ll have undercut them by a significant percentage. However Zen and Diamondback’s business models may be significantly different with Zen at least initially mostly direct-to-consumer and Diamondback through its traditional LBS dealer network with established local support.
I only bring this up because of Tyson’s musings/ comments about the value proposition these bikes offer compared to the overall marketplace. Also the Bosch gen 4 motor seemed noticeably noisy.

Hi EBR community,

You guys are smart and you understand the world.
Building a startup in the middle of a pandemic is undergoing open-heart surgery and root canal at the same time. We are currently in talks with some investors and to be able to build high-quality bikes at scale, we need capital.
So, the team is tied up a little and I will respond to everyone's questions but in the meantime, I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and let you know we care deeply and we read every single comment and take suggestions seriously.

Last edited:
Hi EBR community,

You guys are smart and you understand the world.
Building a startup in the middle of a pandemic is undergoing open-heart surgery and root canal at the same time. We are currently in talks with some investors and to be able to build high-quality bikes at scale, we need capital.
So, the team is tied up a little and I will respond to everyone's questions but in the meantime, I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and let you know we care deeply and we read every single comment and take suggestions seriously.
I think a lot of people are excited of you and your crews offerings in the near future. I, for one, like your attitude in doing it right and doing it right the first time around.

If you see an all-black batmobile moving fast like a ninja on the roads of Milwaukee, it might be one of the Zen Samurai bikes ...
Zen has been fortunate to attract EV enthusiasts and bike riders of a certain caliber. Thanks to the EBR community for supporting the mission.

Zen Samurai 2.png

Back