Yamaha Vs. Bosch eBike Drive Systems. Whats the difference?(Not in the US for at least another year)

Larry Pizzi

We are getting many questions about the Yamaha drive system that Haibike has started to integrate into their offerings in Europe. Here is a link to a well written comparison of Bosch to Yamaha. Please note that Yamaha has no definitive plans to bring the system to the US market at this time so we won't see them anytime soon. I hope to learn more about the possibility of availability in 2016 shortly, but nothing definitive at this time.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/bosch-yamaha-ebikes-differences-explained/

interesting comparison between operating temperatures. I didn't know the Bosh is rated to -5 only - I hope it is Fahrenheit but I am afraid it's probably Celsius huh? :)

Yamaha is rated to -20

I am preparing for winter bike season. The operating temperature will be important for me here in Maine.

Last edited:
I tried the Yamaha system today at Eurobike. It's quite nice, but it's certainly not Bosch. It's an excellent option at a lower price point, but Bosch remains the premium drive in my eyes. Some features are nice, like the option of using a chainring and I like that the lines are a little more streamlined.

I feel the Bosch system is smarter, it can better predict your riding style and adapt to it accordingly. For example some riders want to ride in the high range of the gears and ride really hard while other prefer to find a cadence that works and adjust the gearing to maintain that, I feel that the Yamaha drive fails to adapt in this scenario and overall it just feels cheaper. Someone earlier referred to it as Bosch is the Audi or Porsche, where Yamaha is the VW GTI, although Yamaha isn't German so I would probably group it more closely to Honda or Nissan.

I was trying to understand why on paper the Yamaha looks to be the winner (price, torque, added chainring, etc), but after riding the two one after another, I select Bosch. It's a feeling thing. I have always spoken highly of the sensing technology of the Bosch system, it's really what separates them from others, just think of the resources and assets they already have on hand from the extensive R&D in automotive, appliances and power tool applications. Much of this translates well into the ebike drive system.

I think there's a huge market for the Yamaha drive and I'm excited for them to come to the states, but I want to make the distinction clear in case some were wondering. I certainly was.

Thanks for reporting back Chris. I was curious to hear about their driving differences as well

I've wondered since the first reviews: what does the Bosch feel like without any assist and that tiny chainring?

I've wondered since the first reviews: what does the Bosch feel like without any assist and that tiny chainring?
The chainring moves 2.5 times around for every crank revolution. It's not a real noticeable difference, I guess it's not much different than some of these mountain bike transmissions from pinion or Vboxx (like on the Stealth).

Back