Worth the wait, Hydra is here.

I don’t use the throttle a ton but would be interested in making it smoother

I am totally up for a group buy if we can do one
For the <100' it use it for per ride to me it is well worth the bar space but slimming it down won't hurt. I prefer having it on the right side and use a grip shift so there is no interference from the shift pods.

I'll see what he says and report back.

Having spent a lot of time offroad motorcycling, maybe I’m more used to the concept. It can definitely be a little twitchy tho I think my size helps to keep the Hydra grounded on throttle.
I don't have much experience with motorcycles offroad and I have to say, it is a different sensation. It almost seems harder for me to balance the bike when I'm not pedaling for some reason. It does take a bit of getting used to. I often find myself with the seat lowered and my feet on the ground when using it to just move the bike forward a few feet when trying to get through something. Or when using it for takoff uphill or something, I'll get the bike rolling that way with the throttle and put my feet on the pedals and start pedaling once the bike gets going.

would like to know if anyone can get the throttle programmed better with archon
I can't help with that specifically, but here's what I do with the stock Ultra so people can look for the equivalent settings with the archon.

Switching the throttle from "speed" to "current" mode. I think the speed mode basically means a certain throttle setting means getting the bike to a certain speed. At low speeds or from a stop that means much throttle at all will try and jump the bike up to that speed. In the current mode, a certain amount of throttle just applies a certain amount of current. This makes it much more controllable.

The next is setting the max output to tie to your assist mode. If 100% throttle equals 1500 or 2000 watts, it's going to be pretty jumpy. But if 100% throttle only equals 500, 700W, etc, of a lower assist mode, the entire throttle movement becomes a lot more tame.

I also developed a technique of using it that is now second-nature. I place the side of my thumb on the housing of the throttle, above the actual lever. I then "roll" my thumb into the lever. This is very controllable in small increments and very steady. I find trying to just hold my thumb steady "freehand" on the lever over rough ground pretty impossible causing jumps in the throttle.

I just went to the KarT site and it looks like they're out of stock. Which model works with our Bafang ultra motors?

am not sure, I dealt directly with him through private message on endless sphere

I was kind of under the impression the trigger throttle or the thumb throttle would work with the bafang but I may be wrong

That is awesome news about the throttle, I have not tried to do the programming set up stuff with archon yet, I have to contact Pushkar and pay for the subscription I guess
And not sure my super old windows laptop will work with it but I’m sure I have a friend that could do it for me
I am all Apple… and terrible at using Microsoft stuff

Reactions: JRA
am not sure, I dealt directly with him through private message on endless sphere

I was kind of under the impression the trigger throttle or the thumb throttle would work with the bafang but I may be wrong

That is awesome news about the throttle, I have not tried to do the programming set up stuff with archon yet, I have to contact Pushkar and pay for the subscription I guess
And not sure my super old windows laptop will work with it but I’m sure I have a friend that could do it for me
I am all Apple… and terrible at using Microsoft stuff
RTP turned me on to this as I am in the same boat:

Is that working for you doing the archon programming? I will let you be the Guinea pig and then download after you get it all figured out
lol

I have been lazy about doing the programming stuff just because the bike works really well how it is, but would like to adjust a couple of pas levels and definitely work on the throttle

Is that working for you doing the archon programming? I will let you be the Guinea pig and then download after you get it all figured out
lol

I have been lazy about doing the programming stuff just because the bike works really well how it is, but would like to adjust a couple of pas levels and definitely work on the throttle
Ha, no Archon but for stock Ultra to Bafang programming. It should do the same thing for you though. Not sure about the subscription thing with WW though as not involved in that. But if you get that straight then the 14day trial period should be enough to get you where you need to be.

OK I’ll probably try that first and see what happens, worst case I’ll have to buy a cheap Microsoft computer but I don’t really want to lol

Forgot I ordered this left-thumb throttle awhile ago: https://california-ebike.com/shop/bafang-standard-thumb-throttle-left/

I'd gone throttle-less and didn't miss it, but this showed up so might as well try it.

I can't tell if this is any less on/off than the stock one was, I turned down throttle from 1500w->500w which also makes a big difference.

But anyways its not pretty but I got everything to fit.. there is very little room for adjustment, everything has to rotate together, and it felt like a puzzle trying to find a way to tighten all the screws down.

Been super annoyed with a creak I couldn't locate. Thought it was seat post related, redid it with some SAC-2. Did not fix creak.

I then figured out way to reproduce the creak at home, holding base of seat post in one hand and top of rear tire in the other and putting lateral force back and forth. Made it more clear creak was from rear suspension. Went through most of the bolts redoing grease. They were all greased, probably a sufficient amount, but I really overdid it to leave do doubt. But in the end creak was still there, seemingly worse, lol.

Just now though I finally had enough, I was determined to check every bolt and FINALLY found it.. the bolt that goes through the bottom of the rear shock. Was assembled with no grease at all. Put some grease on there and creak is GONE!

Finally can go to bed.

Bexamous reading back through your thread I see you would have liked your handlebars up some and back a little. On another eMTB I bought I noticed I was doing a lot of my tame riding sitting more upright with just my fingertips on the grips. I bought that carbon bar Cuz Vinny installed on one of his Hydras and have been enjoying it a lot.

I think I'll try the Ergon grips you're using on my Hydra.

Glad you're getting your bike all dialed in.

Been super annoyed with a creak I couldn't locate. Thought it was seat post related, redid it with some SAC-2. Did not fix creak.

I then figured out way to reproduce the creak at home, holding base of seat post in one hand and top of rear tire in the other and putting lateral force back and forth. Made it more clear creak was from rear suspension. Went through most of the bolts redoing grease. They were all greased, probably a sufficient amount, but I really overdid it to leave do doubt. But in the end creak was still there, seemingly worse, lol.

Just now though I finally had enough, I was determined to check every bolt and FINALLY found it.. the bolt that goes through the bottom of the rear shock. Was assembled with no grease at all. Put some grease on there and creak is GONE!

Finally can go to bed.
Make sure you put lock tite on everythin. Those can come loos and drop Off on the trail.

I'm hooking up that same left throttle this weekend. Previously switched to the Highline Dropper remote above bar which I think works well and allows any mounting position if needed. Got the idea from Lode Crommen on the FB Bafang G510/M620 group.

Attachments

• LeftThrottle.jpeg
    LeftThrottle.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 180
  • LeftThrottle2.jpeg
    LeftThrottle2.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 176
The ergonomics and feel of the throttle feel better than stock. May need to replace the hall sensor to really get it to put out a smooth signal. With the Archon power it would be great to have smooth throttle control ability in rocky or rutty situations where pedal movement is limited.

Back