Wiring up bike light to Bosch system

Hello guys. Do you know if is possible to change from 6v to 12v on bosch output by myself? Do I need special cable and software or smth?

Hello guys. Do you know if is possible to change from 6v to 12v on bosch output by myself? Do I need special cable and software or smth?

It has to be enabled using the Bosch diagnostic software. Only 2017 models have the option of running 12V lights, all the prior year models run at 6V.

It has to be enabled using the Bosch diagnostic software. Only 2017 models have the option of running 12V lights, all the prior year models run at 6V.

Are you sure in 100% that is impossible? :/ I have to return the lamp to store in that situation. That sick, 350 Euro for 500 lumens..

Last edited:
Are you sure in 100% that is impossible? :/ I have to return the lamp to store in that situation. That sick, 350 Euro for 500 lumens..

Some bikes have pre-enabled light port and you just plug it in. If your bike is 2017 model, you can run the M99 Pure+, if it's older M99 Pure.
Many bikes do not have this enabled but any authorized Bosch dealer can help you with this.

I have to say, I'm more than happy with the output on the M99 Pure, I'm not sure it is worth the extra $$$ for the Pure+ unless the majority of your riding is in unlit offroad areas. My daily commute is a mixture of roads, cycleways and unlit cycle paths through wooded creeklines. The M99 pure is plenty strong enough, even on the sections along the creek.

As for the argument about the cost, I look at it as a safety issue. I want to be as visible as possible to other motorists, particularly when I'm travelling at a decent speed. To a motorist, the M99 is as bright as a motor cycle headlight. I'm happy to spend extra $$$ to reduce the chance that I will end up as roadkill by some bozo who didn't see me. For offroad riding, I want a good powerful light with a decent spread and depth of beam as I need maximum visibility to react to the path ahead. The M99 Pure is more than sufficient to meet that criteria.

If I hadn't already bought the M99 pure I would probably have considered the Pure+, but having said that, I'm not sitting here regretting my purchase. Buying it from Germany saved me over AUD $100 over the Australian price and the Pure+ wasn't available in Australia or through Bike-Discount.de who I purchased the light from.

supernova-lights-the-way.jpg

Light output from the M99 Pure

Can I reuse the bracket my XM 700+ Super Nova is mounted on to mount an M99 Pure? Does the M99 Pure need to be mounted at handlebar height?

Last edited:
Can I reuse the bracket my XM 700+ Super Nova is mounted on to mount an M99 Pure? Does the M99 Pure need to be mounted at handlebar height?
It doesn't need to be, but it's probably a good idea to use the Bosch mount since it keeps it pretty secure and the light does have some weight to it.

Trying to figure out if there is a good way to wire up commuter bike lights into Bosch system. I don't like the idea of charging yet another battery (or two) when there is a big one available.

I don't have lights picked out - I found few pointers on this forum. I will be commuting partially on gravel road at night with no street lights so quality light is critical.

Any advice or sharing of experience is appreciated.

I recently installed a pure +on my r&m charger cx. My bike shop changed the settings to 12v. Now the light works however during the day the main light continues to burn together with the daytime light. Does anyone might know what is going wrong here? Thanks in advance !!

I recently installed a pure +on my r&m charger cx. My bike shop changed the settings to 12v. Now the light works however during the day the main light continues to burn together with the daytime light. Does anyone might know what is going wrong here? Thanks in advance !!

There is an option in the diagnostic software to enable it (fully on or user dependent). They could toggle back to " user dependent" and you would be able to turn it on or off.
Take the bike to him and they can fix it in under 5 mins.

There is an option in the diagnostic software to enable it (fully on or user dependent). They could toggle back to " user dependent" and you would be able to turn it on or off.
Take the bike to him and they can fix it in under 5 mins.

I dont know whether I fully understand do you mean the problem is with bosch organisatie with the ligh? We changed the setting to 12v the light further works fully indipended of the bosch system sint it?

I recently performed a similar operation on a Kids' SDURO (Yamaha motor), attaching a Lupine SL S. It's a great light, not cheap though, and the installation process was a breeze... once I unscrewed the motor, which required 22Nm of torque! :)

Bob - The system update will allow to run a slightly higher output light. You'll need to go into a Bosch dealer to get it. The Supernova M99 Pro requires a custom adapter to run the high beam and the low beam, but the Pure+ should not. I'm not aware of anyone installing the Pro as an aftermarket, but it comes standard on the Riese & Müller Delite Rohloff GX. R&M had an adapter made for this system and I don't believe anyone has one of these. We're working on it though.

Hey all,

Last year I have installed a m99 pure + to my R&M charger CX drive. My Bosch dealer changed the output to 12V. Now the light works fine there are however two things I have noticed 1. During the day the night light continues to burn. I have never seen this on any other moddles so I'm also curious for your experice on this. 2 during the winter time the m99 really suffers from moisture within the light due to condensation. I contacted supernova and they told me that I had to remove the protective tape which covered the membrane. The partially solved the problem but the light still suffers from condensation. Considering the price I think it's a terrible design flaw!!! I have been to German forums and it seems like many others people have the same problem.

Best regards

Mark

Yes, the update changes the light output to 18W max. Before, you were able to draw 6V, 1A-1.5A but after the update the system can draw 12V, 1.5A which is perfect for Pure+ which requires 12V input.
It's a pretty simple firmware update.

View attachment 15309

I have been a big fan of the Supernova M99 pro. I used it extensively during my Guinness Record ride. I couldn't imagine riding without that light.
But, I have to tell you something, it produces immense heat @ hi-beam and consumes a lot of power. ~35watts and that's roughly 10% on a Bosch 400Whr powerpack. Unless you have 2 batteries, Pure+ would be the way to go.

13718657_996530937121204_3813605325510436752_n.jpg
My 2017 Bosch performance line motor EBike came with a low lumen headlight that no longer works so I’m looking to replace it with possibly light and motion NIP 500 or 800. Could I just reattach the new light since it already had a light-therefore light function is already on? Is it safe to assume the light output is at 6v currently and I could easily just use the NIP 500? If I want to use the NIP 800 would I then need to update the system to 12V? Thanks for your input.

My 2017 Bosch performance line motor EBike came with a low lumen headlight that no longer works so I’m looking to replace it with possibly light and motion NIP 500 or 800. Could I just reattach the new light since it already had a light-therefore light function is already on? Is it safe to assume the light output is at 6v currently and I could easily just use the NIP 500? If I want to use the NIP 800 would I then need to update the system to 12V? Thanks for your input.

Both NIP 500 and NIP 800 works fine at 6V, it is just that it operates at higher amperage.
It may run a tiny bit cooler at 12V. Overall, the NIP 800 would be a significant upgrade to stock lights from most companies.

1595268160090.png

The great thing about Bosch is that you can actually put a decent light on it natively. It does drain the battery but its nicely integrated. Wish Shimano/ yamaha / Bafang had more powerful light output options.

I understand why it is hard to do though - interference issues and heat issues due to step down converter. May be in the future we will have something nicer.

Both NIP 500 and NIP 800 works fine at 6V, it is just that it operates at higher amperage.
It may run a tiny bit cooler at 12V. Overall, the NIP 800 would be a significant upgrade to stock lights from most companies.

View attachment 59587
Thanks much for the feedback. Would it be safe just to plug in the NIP 800 light without first checking voltage using the Bosch software? As I mentioned it already had a low lumen light. Just wondering if by chance the voltage would be set at lower than 6v.

Back