Winter Sucks

This is my first real winter in a decade here in Illinois so kind of looking forward to the changing seasons although I'll post back in late February to see if I still feel that way. Still trying to find good gloves, may get a pair at Farm and Fleet that are called snowmobile gloves. Bar mitts haven't been as effective as I hoped. Just got back from week in Scottsdale and that sun felt real nice at 65 and sunny. Got to lay by the pool and told kids to remember this warm feeling coming late February. Kids are excited for snow though so can't blame them and I'm excited for some snow to ride in too. Kicking around getting a non-electric mountain bike to play around in the snow with. Kids also want me to use the e-bike to pull their sleds up and down the streets (so excited for that too!)

I wear a Giro 9 similar to the Neo in ruffruff’s link. Meets all my needs in a winter helmet. Warm and comfy with adjustable venting and earpad pockets for a pair of Bluetooth Outdoor Tech speakers.

IMG_20210130_1140191.jpg

Winter sucks, for not riding outside much.

The positives, getting used to riding a spin bike, and enjoying the Wahoo RGT Free app. Ride anytime, join events even time trials, races or just “group” rides… and continue to get aerobic exercise. But damn, sweating like crazy indoors. And learning to pace myself with intervals and rest periods, which came naturally outside riding the roads. But I really overdid it riding full speed, high rpm, and high BPM on the spin bike … and almost passed out. Lesson learned the hard way!! Now finally adjusting and adapting, and enjoying it. Yay, winter?!

Been snowboarding for almost 30 yrs, Ive tried all kinds of gear and whatever keeps me warm enough makes me sweat. Best I can do is a wicking layer to feel less wet.
I had that problem until I got the advice of wearing something that opens in the front, and moments before "setting off" cracking it open a bit, and once fully heated up having it wide open. It's your high core temp causing that, and if you get that down, you avoid that issue without compromising your extremities.

Overprotecting the torso is the enemy when doing any "real" exercise or activity in extremes of cold. I learned that in Alaska. It sounds crazy, but heat stroke can still set in even in sub-zero (Fahrentheit) temperatures. Even when your feet and toes are risking frostbite from inadequate protection there.

Yes, winter sucks. Since I purchased these snowmobile mitts, no matter how cold it gets outside, my hands stay toasty warm no matter the temps. Much warmer and more comfortable than gloves or mittens.

Cover1.JPG

Cover2.JPG

man it was 33 and dry. but the temp dropped as I went down to 28 at the lowest. there was small amount of ice and frost a lot. its been dry for days. when I stopped at a light there was a depression for a grill and i almost slid in it. but the one road tons of bikes had already ridden it so I just followed them.

It was another awesome ride yesterday as I made my way along the snowy singles. More snow is on the way along with much colder temps over the next week.
More really wet snow today and temps will drop to -3F(-19C) in a couple of days. I'm walking... Thank you, Sorel and 800 Fill Goosedown.
Looks like it'll be a new year before it warms to 25F(-4C). Bummer, the trike isn't ready...

Last edited:
Yes, winter sucks. Since I purchased these snowmobile mitts, no matter how cold it gets outside, my hands stay toasty warm no matter the temps. Much warmer and more comfortable than gloves or mittens.

View attachment 142583

View attachment 142584
Also got a pair of these bar mitts and love them although mine are a bit bulky than I would prefer but I bought the large on Amazon. My power/assist buttons are under them so that has been a bit of an adventure. This morning on my commute I took my wife's e-bike and accidentally hit the off button while trying to increase the assist by one, got a good laugh at that. Safe riding!

Look at ski/snowboard helmets. They have an insulated liner.
I've been shopping for a e-bike winter helmet for a few days now. What I see is most helmets for winter biking are poorly insulated and not designed for e-biking but more for regular biking where ventilation is important. So many recommendations turn to ski/snowborad. The issue with this is that protection standards are not the same. Look for EN 1078 standards for e-biking. And yes they are pricy.

US/NA standard is CPSC 1023

Last edited:
I've been shopping for a e-bike winter helmet for a few days now. What I see is most helmets for winter biking are poorly insulated and not designed for e-biking but more for regular biking where ventilation is important. So many recommendations turn to ski/snowborad. The issue with this is that protection standards are not the same. Look for EN 1078 standards for e-biking. And yes they are pricy.
I just wear a balaclava. far easier and less money. a couple of different ones for when it gets really cold.

I just wear a balaclava. far easier and less money. a couple of different ones for when it gets really cold.
Sadly I have found very few xxl helmets, much less one that a balaclava fits under. Besides, you ride in what we Minnesnowta guys call fall.;) It’s balaclava AND ski helmet with NO venting

I don't know if it's my riding style, where I am and the type of ice we get, or what... but I have NEVER found that "studs digs in" thing to be factual on any icy conditions I'd ride across. Flat out does not exist. Not a thing... They don't dig in and slide across like nails on a chalkboard... making VERY similar sounds.

It's another of the many things people talk about that runs 180 degrees contrary to my experiences. To the point I think y'all are just making s*it up.

But of course that triggers all the elite effetist cycling clique putz screaming "troll, troll". Because how dare anyone have an opinion or experience that contradicts the almighty bandwagon and status quo.
Around here these Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus work very well on the thin layers of ice we get on the roads. They inspire confidence. They are not much good in snow though as they fishtail , perhaps they are too thin at 700x 38. Yesterday I had a 90 slip- free km Ebike trip but after, when I used my Dads Crown Vic to go to the store it slid around corners like a toboggan. On Snow I will stay home. If I get stir crazy I take the bike with the fattest tires I have which are 2.8" Winter can suck but it has its good points too. Crispy fresh days with fewer pedestrians on the trails!

Last edited:

US/NA standard is CPSC 1023

Around here these Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus work very well on the thin layers of ice we get on the roads. They inspire confidence. They are not much good in snow though as they fishtail , perhaps they are too thin at 700x 38. Yesterday I had a 90 slip- free km Ebike trip but after, when I used my Dads Crown Vic to go to the store it slid around corners like a toboggan. On Snow I will stay home. If I get stir crazy I take the bike with the fattest tires I have which are 2.8"
Winter tires for bicycles are good in 1-2 centimeters of snow. I've used Schwalbe Spike Pro for a couple of winters now and you need to slow down if you see snow deeper that 1 or 2 centimeters. If you intend on riding in thicker snow conditions, fatbikes are a better bet, I beleive.

Back