Winter Commuting

tquenneville

My apologies if this subject has been addressed already. Living in the Midwest has its winter challenges and was wondering if anyone uses their bike year round, and if so what did you do to prepare your bike for the winter commuter season.

There's a Minnesotan on the Pedego Owners Group forum (Facebook) who does not have a car and rides her ebike year round. She works in some kind of transportation capacity for the state of Minnesota. She's been commuting in the winter on her ebike in Minnesota for years.

I just looked up and read her posts. She commuted for 6 years on an iZip, and got a Pedego to use as her "summer" bike, but decided to switch to riding it year round. She uses studded tires in the winter, and regularly uses fresh water to rinse vulnerable areas of the bike.

If you join the Pedego Owners Group (non-owners are welcome as well), just do a search on "Minnesota winter" and you'll see her posts.

Last edited:
There's a Minnesotan on the Pedego Owners Group forum (Facebook) who does not have a car and rides her ebike year round. She works in some kind of transportation capacity for the state of Minnesota. She's been commuting in the winter on her ebike in Minnesota for years.

I just looked up and read her posts. She commuted for 6 years on an iZip, and got a Pedego to use as her "summer" bike, but decided to switch to riding it year round. She uses studded tires in the winter, and regularly uses fresh water to rinse vulnerable areas of the bike.

If you join the Pedego Owners Group (non-owners are welcome as well), just do a search on "Minnesota winter" and you'll see her posts.
Thank You for the Info.

tquenneville - did you end up winter commuting? I missed riding to work and decided to give it a go. I think most people I work with think I’m crazy but it’s actually not as bad as I thought. Thankfully I’m on a multi use path away from the traffic and they do plow the snow off it regularly. I had a fair bit of winter gear for snowboarding and xcountry skiing but I bought marathon winter studded tires and 45nrth wolvhammer boots so I can continue to be clicked in. Also bought a balaclava with breathing vents so goggles don’t fog up. Overall I’m happy to still be riding to work.

Edit: I also bought a 1600 lumen light as some of the path is unlit and it was tricky picking out a line through snow packed trail with the 250 light I had been using. It’s amazing and so worth it.

Last edited:
Tested my winter commuting mettle this week. This morning it was -36C (-33F)! My commute is 23-25 minutes. The bike is in the garage at about -5C. I usually bring the battery in overnight when it’s below freezing in the garage but I forgot. Battery consumption was up and seemed to have less torque available (at -20C and the battery starting warm I don’t really notice any difference).

I was worried about breaking a chain or getting a flat - riding in that temp is fine when I’m dressed for the activity but I’d be mighty cold doing a repair.

Last edited:
Back