Will XP2.0 load through Subaru Outback rear hatch?

Mike G

Region
USA
City
Bakersfield
I own a 2018 Subaru Outback. It measures exactly 28" from the rear floor to the lowest point of the rear hatch opening. Lectric says the folded XP2.0 is 28" tall but in their diagram on the same page indicates it's 27" tall. Too close for comfort, so my question is "Does a folded XP2.0 fit vertically through the rear hatch of a 2018 Subaru Outback without getting caught or tearing the headliner?"

You can definitely fit it in. The folded bike can lay on it's side an is more stable on it's side anyway. Peddles fold up and there is a derailuier guard to protect the bike on it's side

How awkward would putting the bike in on its side vs vertically be? I would use some padding between the folded halves of the bike for protection and cinch the halves together with a strap or bungee cord. Will I have better leverage or handholds going sideways or vertically?

Two fit sideways in a model 3.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 250
In through the back sideways and slide forward. Probably similar in the Kia...

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 173
When standing upright, then the wheels will let the bike roll. It is awkward since the 2.0 is over 60lbs. Had the lite been available and knowing what I know after 6500 miles I would get the lite.

I emailed Lectric about this and they don’t recommend transporting it folded on its side. I’ve still done it, but they discourage you from doing it. I would just be sure to not lay it derailleur side down And try to pad it if possible.

After we bought our two XP 2.0 st bikes for last Christmas, I discovered we still had an old beefy receiver-mount bike rack, and I've figured out how to hang the two bikes from that. So folding is not necessary for us to move the bikes. That said, I've found that once folded, all you need to do is to pass a couple of 24" bungees through the folded package and the bike is then much easier to carry about, with no danger of flopping open any more. And I've seen some YouTube videos of folks who buy big buckets, some even with little wheels on one end and a carrying handle on the other. That would make moving the folded bikes really easy.

Mike G, I would think you would have no issues. I have a 2016 Crosstrek which I believe has basically the same height at the opening (28" lowest at the corners, 29-1/2" at the center). Plus the height increases further inside. The Outback's cargo area is wider and longer.

While I didn't transport a XP2.0, I did travel with a 2018 Radmini in the Crosstrek for 4 years all over the country. I'm one of those people that actually got the mini specifically to travel with me. It spent a lot of its time in the Trek. I just recently sold the mini - actually miss it and it was tough as nails, no issues even though most of its time was spent on forest roads, single tracks, dirt, mud and sand - very little pavement.

I would remove the seat and battery, fold it using some ball bungees, lift it wheels first and just roll it in. Not set it on it's size. What I like about "Subies" is that they have great connection points. I used a ROK strap and a couple bungees. A couple shots of it loaded. And one with the strap and bungees hook points, which should be close to your Outback. I did get it down to a science loading/unloading it and had some great
times with it.

182712717_3738115932904818_8364223718556132355_n.jpeg200559725_3866776613372082_3799891427385675559_n.jpegP7303527.JPG

Mike, that should be no problem since I can get TWO XP 2.0 step thrus vertically into the hatch of my (very)subcompact 2017 Chevy Spark for transport. I’m about to try putting them both into 40 gal totes before putting inside.
Harry

Back