Will Specialized be participating at the upcoming 2016 Interbike?

ragtopjoek

I am not that familiar with Interbike and was wondering if Specialized attends it every year. Looks like we may have some new models coming out, losing a few models and hopefully prices come down. I had the opportunity to test drive a Turbo S and have been thinking about it ever since. I see the base Turbo price has been reduced and wonder if I would be happy with it. I have been thinking of buying one, but since the new models are coming out, maybe I should wait a few weeks.

I see the base Turbo price has been reduced and wonder if I would be happy with it. I have been thinking of buying one, but since the new models are coming out, maybe I should wait a few weeks.
The Turbo base model is a fine bike at could be a steal at the right price. It is fast enough and powerful enough for most uses. However it has some weaknesses that will likely be addressed by the new model. Decide for yourself if these are showstoppers and worth the wait or the savings you will make by picking up the run-out model.
  • It isn't very torquey, and struggles up very steep hills. 40Nm of torque. The Brose motor is very torquey (90Nm) and operates through your gears so will grind up anything.
  • The weight is all in the back wheel. I don't see that as a problem but YMMV
  • The motor isn't especially battery efficient. Most of us are burning through the full battery in around 35-40km. I suspect the Brose-powered unit will do much better if the Levo is anything to go by
  • There are some minor design issues with the fenders
  • The controller is a bit flimsy and unintuitive to do anything other than basic functions. New one looks better
  • You can only get a suspension fork with the Turbo X (which is also a great option if you can get the 2016 version at the right price because it has the 250W motor, bigger battery and Mission Control app). There will be more options in the new range.
In favour of the old:
  • It is dead-silent. The Brose motor is the quietest mid-drive around, but it still makes a noise
  • The drive train will last longer as it isn't also handling motor torque
  • You might save some money, and still get a great bike

Good observations, @bazzapage; @ragtopjoek, the search engine on Interbike for the bike companies with displays is pretty iffy. There are manufacturers that I know will be there but don't show up using that tool. We're going to be at Interbike next month, so I know this is one company that we will be looking for.

The Turbo base model is a fine bike at could be a steal at the right price. It is fast enough and powerful enough for most uses. However it has some weaknesses that will likely be addressed by the new model. Decide for yourself if these are showstoppers and worth the wait or the savings you will make by picking up the run-out model.
  • It isn't very torquey, and struggles up very steep hills. 40Nm of torque. The Brose motor is very torquey (90Nm) and operates through your gears so will grind up anything.
  • The weight is all in the back wheel. I don't see that as a problem but YMMV
  • The motor isn't especially battery efficient. Most of us are burning through the full battery in around 35-40km. I suspect the Brose-powered unit will do much better if the Levo is anything to go by
  • There are some minor design issues with the fenders
  • The controller is a bit flimsy and unintuitive to do anything other than basic functions. New one looks better
  • You can only get a suspension fork with the Turbo X (which is also a great option if you can get the 2016 version at the right price because it has the 250W motor, bigger battery and Mission Control app). There will be more options in the new range.
In favour of the old:
  • It is dead-silent. The Brose motor is the quietest mid-drive around, but it still makes a noise
  • The drive train will last longer as it isn't also handling motor torque
  • You might save some money, and still get a great bike

Thank you very much for pointing out some of the weaknesses of the base Turbo. I have tested a few ebikes and two of the things I liked the most about the Turbo S was how quiet it is and I was not mashing the gears when I shifted. I do like front suspension forks and did not know the Turbo X can also use the Mission Control app. Having a 250W motor with a bigger battery is also a big plus. I can deal with the fenders and a direct drive rear motor seems like a plus to me. For the last week I have been thinking of ordering an ebike, just can't make up my mind on which one. I look forward to the cool autumn days and love the winter too for bicycling. I am now looking past the base Turbo model and will most likely talk to my Specialized dealer this week about getting the Turbo X, espically if it won't be for sale in 2017. Thanks again

Back