Why do we ebike?

You have indeed overlooked a singular category: fun. The same reason tons of people ride dino bikes. Bicycles are fun. Road bikes are fun, mountain bikes are fun, kids on bikes are fun, a sunny day on bikes is fun. Get out and ride for fun. Put a smile on your face.

I have a dino bike permanently mounted on a Tacx Neo trainer. I Zwift with it 5-6 times a week for health. When I ebike in the sunshine, that is for the pure enjoyment of being outside with the wind in my face.
I did put in an explanation that fun should be lumped in with health because nothing is more healthier than having fun. But perhaps your right, maybe having fun should be a stand alone category.
fun riding.jpg

Bought an ebike for my wife in 2015 to keep her riding. Then I found I wanted one. Then a second. Then a third. I quit counting. Why ride an ebike or any bike? They're fun and it's good exercise for us old folks, married 43 years. We rode 10 miles this morning.

I rode my hybrid this evening "just to go around the block", and it felt so good to be on a regular bike that I came home 8 miles later.

Health--so the whole family gets more exercise (we bought four bikes, for two teens and two adults). Reid, above mentioned "the antidepressant effect"--yep, not only do we get more exercise, but we feel great doing it. I think e-bikes are good for both body and spirit.
Transportation--These bikes work as a car replacement for local errands for me and my husband, for my kids to their activities in our town, etc. I use my car less often because I bike to the grocery store, drug store, etc. My daughter has activities all over our town this summer and is biking to all of them. Could we do all of this on our conventional bikes? Well, yeah, but we didn't--we live in a VERY hilly area (carved by glaciers way-back-when), and it's about a 2 mile, mostly downhill ride from our house to even begin getting to most of our activities and errands in our town and beyond. While this is going to be seasonal for us, for the 6 months of the year with decent light and weather, e-bikes are great transportation for our family. My husband and I also are commuting to work (25-30 mile round trips). Commuting time is the same as previous commuting method of car+bus.
Fun--My son read the initial post and said, "He forgot that to say that they are AWESOME!" That's the fun factor. :) I should call this category AWESOMENESS, I suppose! All four of us are having a great time on our e-bikes. It's fun to go everywhere and anywhere.
Finances--Um, no. The bikes were quite expensive. My son says, "But, worth it." I agree. Savings might be related to HEALTH, as we use our bodies more and then that saves us aches and pains and keeps us healthier. Savings also would relate to using our cars less, so not needing to buy gas. We'll see how long the batteries last--that's an expensive component. And, we will need to, I assume, get an annual tune-up for our bikes to keep them running well.
Convenience was mentioned--The main convenience is that work (errands, commuting, getting places) and fun and exercise are now combined. That is super convenient! The main inconvenience is that there need to be more bike racks everywhere, of designs that are friendly for the somewhat fatter wheels of today's hybrid bicycles (lots of racks are made for racing wheels, it seems!)
Environment--this was not my reason for purchasing, but certainly each time we leave cars at home and bike instead, that's good for the environment.

Thanks for an interesting topic!

Last edited:
My motivation for purchasing my first e-bike was to carry along in the storage bay of my motorhome.

Andy ...

Can you share some photos of your motorhome/ebike adventures in the Pics of Where You Ride Your Ebikes thread.

Jen and I used to take folding bikes along with us in our 1970 VW Kombi camper (many, many years ago). I suspect your Prevost might be slightly larger.

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for me it's a toss up between Convenience and Health. I was reminded this weekend how annoying it was when back in 2016 my commute to work was delayed for 3 months by track work on the DC Metro, I tried bus commuting but it took longer than to cycle to work then I found I couldn't ride home up hill. Building active transportation into my work schedule is one of the few opportunities I could find to exercise. Then there is the convenience of being able to take my daughter shopping, to the library, the park, church, etc. towing her in a Chariot trailer without...

Chariot trailer.jpg

E-biking is an expensive hobby and it would take +5 years of riding 3,000-4,000 miles a year to come close to breaking even. Biking complements my other hobbies of hiking and photography to get me outdoors more often. We took our e-bikes to the Grand Canyon and Sedona to take the paths less traveled. We were able to get some excellent pictures without having +30 tourist in the background. Biking has really improved my cardio and I don't hear the "snap/crackle/pop" in my knees like I did walking up stairs before purchasing my ebike in 2016.

E-biking is also a little bit of convenience to avoid rush hour traffic. We have only a few bridges to cross the Rio Grande river to the westside of town where I live. There is usually a few accidents per month that shuts down one of the main arteries and that just jams up the others. A 15 minute drive home can take 2-3 hours sometimes. It always takes me 25-35 minutes to get home on my ebike 24/7/365 every-time.

I'm in much better shape at 52 years old compared to my parents and in-laws when they were at the same age. Right now, they are out of shape and have health issues and can't really enjoy retirement and travel like they talked about in their younger days. E-biking is a down-payment for the future. I figure, every day I ebike will give me 2-3 days of health and mobility on the back end. So far, I'm usually fun ride or work commute 3-4 days a week, 50-75 miles per week, 50 weeks a year (depending on weather).

Last edited:
E-biking is an expensive hobby and it would take +5 years of riding 3,000-4,000 miles a year to come close to breaking even. Biking complements my other hobbies of hiking and photography to get me outdoors more often. We took our e-bikes to the Grand Canyon and Sedona to take the paths less traveled. We were able to get some excellent pictures without having +30 tourist in the background. Biking has really improved my cardio and I don't hear the "snap/crackle/pop" in my knees like I did walking up stairs before purchasing my ebike in 2016.

E-biking is also a little bit of convenience to avoid rush hour traffic. We have only a few bridges to cross the Rio Grande river to the westside of town where I live. There is usually a few accidents per month that shuts down one of the main arteries and that just jams up the others. A 15 minute drive home can take 2-3 hours sometimes. It always takes me 25-35 minutes to get home on my ebike 24/7/365 every-time.

I'm in much better shape at 52 years old compared to my parents and in-laws at the same age. Right now, they are out of shape and have health issue to really enjoy retirement and travel like they talked about in their younger days. E-biking is a down-payment for the future. I figure, every day I ebike will give me 2-3 days health and mobility on the back end. So far, I'm usually fun ride or work commute 3-4 days a week, 50-75 miles per week, 50 weeks a year (depending on weather).

Same here, about 70-90 miles a week.

I guess the way that e-biking would be economical is if it replaced a car. Then it would be an economy, because not only is a good e-bike cheaper than any sort of good used car, but maintenance and fuel is cheaper also. Of course, a conventional bike would always be the most economical choice, but for many of us that isn't an option.

I guess the way that e-biking would be economical is if it replaced a car. Then it would be an economy, because not only is a good e-bike cheaper than any sort of good used car, but maintenance and fuel is cheaper also. Of course, a conventional bike would always be the most economical choice, but for many of us that isn't an option.
I don't want to get off topic here but I consider ebiking to be significantly cheaper than a car or an analogue bike. I figure that a full charge on my ebike battery will take me 75km (45m) and cost 1c, driving would cost me $12CAD to pay for gas, analogue bike burning 1200 calories would cost $10 in food fuel. Unless your growing your own food, conventional cycling is incredibly expensive compared to ebiking. Obviously there are huge variations in cost of electricity, gas and food across the world, but I would recommend everyone crunch your own numbers, it might surprise you.

Last edited:
75km driving would cost me $12CAD to pay for gas.

Dan ...
  • AU$ and CA$ are essentially the same value.
  • My fuel consumption: 5 L/100 km.
  • 75 km would cost me just under AU$6 (half what you quote) despite having to pay more for fuel in Australia.
As you wrote, "there are huge variations" and these make the EBR Forum so fascinating. My maths is different from yours; however, both calculations are correct as we are putting in different numbers in. Back in 2010 I chose the most fuel-efficient car that could be fitted with a tow hitch and now have no qualms about driving it - it gets filled up every other month, no more.

A few posts ago, TImpo expressed mild consternation that quite a few of us were apparently blasé in dismissing the cost benefits of ebikes. Like our different costs for driving 75 km, there is no necessarily correct or wrong point of view - just different (complementary) perspectives. Thanks for getting everyone exchanging views.

... David

I had a heart attack last August that resulted in cardiac arrest. It defies the odds that I am even alive at this point, but that is another story. After having two stents put into my left anterior descending cardiac artery, I started in with the local cardiac rehab program, an EKG monitored exercise program. They ramp you up in both time and excretion over a 6 week period. I was using a treadmill, exercycle and elliptical machine. The nurses supervising were clear that we needed to find a post-rehab, ongoing exercise plan. I have never enjoyed this process but recognized the necessity.

About that time a good friend bought a pair of Bulls e-bikes for him and his wife. I started doing the research, reading up and then discovered Court's Electric Bike Reviews and this forum. After a few visits to Seattle and several bike shops, I settled on the Riese & Muller Nevo Nuvinci GH as the bike I wanted. I ordered one and put down my deposit and began the wait. Then three days later a Cube Touring Hybrid Exc with a Bosch CX drive, came up for auction on ebay. A Cube bike had come in a close second in my decision making. This one was brand new but had a few paint scratches on one of the chain stays. I ended up getting that bike at a low price but without warranty. It tuned out to be a great bike and I rode it for the two and a half months it took till the R&M arrived. I figured having two ebikes would be great for my wife and me.

I was a pipe smoker. Since my heart attack I have quit smoking. With more attention to diet and regular bike riding I have lost 30 pounds. I ride my bike every day it isn't raining and hardly ever drive my car, fueling it up once a month instead of once a week. As of June 26 I have ridden just over 500 miles. It get's me outside, it is great fun. I am a hobbyist and tinker by nature so bike riding and bike care, tweaking and feeding have become my new obsession.

Riding my ebike gets me outdoors and is great fun. Riding my ebike has restored my health and vitality. Riding my ebike is saving me about $150 a month on gasoline. Riding my ebike helps to reduce my carbon footprint. Convenience?...Meh. Three out of four ain't bad!

Last edited:
I'm with Ravi, health and heart/brain preservation. My Dad screwed up retirement in the 2nd year by sitting down, doing nothing but read, and having a stoke that screwed up his ability to read. He was taking all kind of HBP and blood thinner pills, and wasn't overweight. Pills don't work.
Regular biking, plus one, but my 30 mile commute to my summer property can go to 6 hours if the wind is over 20 the wrong way. My butt begins to hurt after 4 hours. I'd like to keep the duration to 3-4 hours. Wind picks up in October and doesn't end until late May now. Also I don't have phone service out there except for 911 calls, so if I pull a tendon or strain a leg muscle it's tough to get home. The electric gives me an option to motor home throttle only, or at least to a phone. No noise from a **** motorscooter motor, and nobody will steal a e-converted cruiser when I'm in town, it is too weird and has low pawnshop value here. Especially with all the ugly wires showing.
I don't drive a car anymore, the air bags scare me that I'll lose my high frequency hearing if I have an accident. Broken cilia in the cochlia don't grow back. I'm the last American with 14000 hz capability at age 68, and with 41' of LP's on shelf and 3 pianos & 7 organs, music is a big part of my entertainment plan. I don't even like to ride in modern cars. I'm trying to convert a 59 Ford to run on propane since this modern fuel won't work in updraft carburators when stale, but riding 70-80 miles a week on bike has given me a heart with "nothing wrong" according to the cardiologist who approved my shoulder/arm surgery last year.
And the e-bike could extend my range from 30 miles to 80 so I could attend festivals and events around here, without renting or borrowing a car (the wife's elanta) which could end my music enjoyment.
Evironment preservation, a plus. We US residents have screwed up the atmosphere with CO2. I've done my part by driving everywhere but I've stopped since retirement. I used about 20 gallons of gas/diesel last year in the mowers.
So if I have an accident on a bike with a car, I die. So what? I'm a christian, not a big worry.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, shoulda mentioned: I wear what's called an automatic or self-winding watch. It will wind itself enough over the course of a typical day's activity to keep going without further attention. But only an hour's worth of riding and it's wound for the day. That's got to be worth something, right? ;)

I don't want to get off topic here but I consider ebiking to be significantly cheaper than a car or an analogue bike. I figure that a full charge on my ebike battery will take me 75km (45m) and cost 1c, driving would cost me $12CAD to pay for gas, analogue bike burning 1200 calories would cost $10 in food fuel. Unless your growing your own food, conventional cycling is incredibly expensive compared to ebiking. Obviously there are huge variations in cost of electricity, gas and food across the world, but I would recommend everyone crunch your own numbers, it might surprise you.
Hey Dan, I disagree with you, but only on one small point.

That $10 in food is an investment in yourself and can't fairly be counted an expense. I bought a hybrid mtb a few years ago after remembering how much I enjoyed riding when I was a teenager (46 now) and shortly thereafter a road bike. I offered the hybrid to my dad (early 70s, hypertensive and overweight) and surprisingly enough, he took me up on it. A year later he was down 35lbs and entirely off his blood pressure meds. The hybrid, a Trek FX, was the best investment I've ever made...I know I just bought additional years with my dad for a pittance. The food is nothing by comparison and could save you significant medical expenses.

I still ride my road bike for fitness. I ride my ebike for fun awesomeness. It's great for shorter errands too, properly outfitted with panniers and the like. I'd probably use it to commute if I didn't live within walking distance to work.

Since I got my ebike it's been getting all my time though, just racing around and having a blast. It can still be a great workout if you're conservative with the assist levels, you just go faster. So I guess I'm a combination of health and fun.

Last edited:
This thread is very interesting.. a big eye opener at the same time too.

I'm a university student and I was looking for a cheap transportation. Until now, I honestly believed that the most people would pick an ebike for a financial reason. Because in my view, it's an alternative to cars and motorcycles.
  • Financial : YES This is the sole reason I bought my bike. Cars and motorcycles are too expensive. Insurance, parking, maintenance, gas, and some incidental costs, etc. After doing the math, I would easily be spending a few thousand $ a year!
  • Health : NO. I have always been active and in a university sport team, workout on daily basis and my jobs are fitness instructor, gymnastics coach, and anything to do with sports so I get enough exercise.
  • Environmental Concern : NO. Although it's nice to have an emission free vehicle (unlike those 50cc scooters!), it wasn't my priority
  • Convenience : NO compare to cars you can't carry much or drive your friends around.. also cars and motorcycles are faster (although that could depend on traffic)
  • Fun : NO It can be fun when the weather is nice, but I NEVER ride my bike just for the hell of it. When I ride I always have a destination, which means, it's just a transportation for me.
You might ask why didn't I get a cheap bike from Walmart if I was going for cheap, but as you know normal bicycles are much slower and inconvenient, commuting to work and going to school, it is not convenient enough especially I would have to slow down going uphill.

I can't believe many of you guys could care less about money...I always feel like I'm stressed about money lol just different circumstances I guess.

Timpo, I enjoyed your comments, take nothing away from it and applaude your use of Ebikes to get you from point A to B in a cost effective and environmentally great way. And in fact, I've got a son about to go to grad school who I think should do the same thing! But it's amazing what a difference a few years make. In the blink of an eye, you will be as old as many of us are, and your perspective on many things will change. While financial concerns never necessarily go away, what does become a priority is the pursuit for happiness as our mortality and time on this earth stare us in the face. Discovering this very cool and fun technology that gets us outside is a huge winning proposition.

Love this string. Not to get mushy, but you really are my kind of people! If magic was possible, I'd get us all in the same town for a big party.
As I wrote in my post above, I've been thinking a lot about how short life is and how important happiness as become as I age. My new Ebike has added to my quality of life big-time. It's as simple as that. A beautiful day with the wind in my face, the trees, a suburban, country road or beautiful trail, river/water, fields, nature, an animal or two, an easy trip to a store for a cup of coffee or errand, the ability to explore where cars don't go, and the complete absence of hills as an obstacle. Priceless.

Hey Dan, I disagree with you, but only on one small point.

That $10 in food is an investment in yourself and can't fairly be counted an expense. I bought a hybrid mtb a few years ago after remembering how much I enjoyed riding when I was a teenager (46 now) and shortly thereafter a road bike. I offered the hybrid to my dad (early 70s, hypertensive and overweight) and surprisingly enough, he took me up on it. A year later he was down 35lbs and entirely off his blood pressure meds. The hybrid, a Trek FX, was the best investment I've ever made...I know I just bought additional years with my dad for a pittance. The food is nothing by comparison and could save you significant medical expenses.

I still ride my road bike for fitness. I ride my ebike for fun awesomeness. It's great for shorter errands too, properly outfitted with panniers and the like. I'd probably use it to commute if I didn't live within walking distance to work.

Since I got my ebike it's been getting all my time though, just racing around and having a blast. It can still be a great workout if you're conservative with the assist levels, you just go faster. So I guess I'm a combination of health and fun.

Wow!! What an amazing gift you gave your dad. Nothing more precious.

I'm going for a nice long ride with my 33 year old son on Thursday. This past Sunday my wife and I did a 47 mile trail ride, her second time on a bike in 30+ years. Next week we go off on an overnight to celebrate her birthday.

Let's add family time and fellowship to the benefits of ebikes.

20180624_151253.jpg

This is one of the reasons why I ride. Take an nice 10 mile ride at sunset and get to see this. Rode right up next to her, and watched her mulberries for about 5 minutes.

Attachments

• 4A32A7CA-B0C9-4CA3-996A-1A460E416C27.jpeg
    4A32A7CA-B0C9-4CA3-996A-1A460E416C27.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Do we need yet another numbered reason: sharing our cycling passion with the people we love?

I have a photo of Jen and myself (aged 61 and 64) setting off on our Danube cycle trip in 2008. It's not as exuberant as R&N's selfie - Jen is looking somewhat uncertain but 300 km later was declaring it the best time we'd ever had together (and I had thought that was as twenty-somethings together in my VW Kombi camper).

Five years later/ago, I noticed the beginnings of change in the dear person who had shared her life - and just a little cycling - with me. Today, forty-seven years after we met, her brain is crippled by Alzheimer's and she has no idea who I am. The best times are gone so suddenly.

... David

Back