Who is transporting their ebikes standing up inside a truck bed under topper?

Dallant

Region
USA
Who is transporting their ebikes standing up inside a truck bed under topper? I want to protect the ebikes from weather and from thieves! I don’t want to remove tires. What truck/topper combination and what kind of rack are you using? Pictures?

I've been thinking about this also. Only part I don't like is having to crawl inside. A bed slide out is a consideration.

I've been thinking about this also. Only part I don't like is having to crawl inside. A bed slide out is a consideration.
Real problem is the height of the topper door. I’m looking into a high top model like the A.R.E. TW. Problem then becomes it’s pretty pricey and then how do you lock ‘em down for transport.

Attachments

• 1A00507B-BC33-40B9-9BBD-731C3D071648.jpeg
    1A00507B-BC33-40B9-9BBD-731C3D071648.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 345
I've been using this slide out rack for over 10 years now:

Pic 2.jpg Pic 1.JPG

This season, I replaced the low profile side tool boxes with full size units:

P1080727b.jpg P1080725b.jpg

I'm looking at adding a "plumbers" cap to mount on top of the side boxes. Until then, I use a tarp across the bikes & box tops to keep the weather off the bikes when the truck is parked. No pics yet since I took the bike rack off the truck for the winter. You can see it up on the lift in the upper right of pic 3. I plow snow during the Winter and there is no reason to have the rack bouncing around in the bed when it isn't needed.

The high side boxes provide a degree of security since the only way to access the bikes is from the rear. A thief would have to climb up into the bed to get at them and set off the motion alarm in the process.

I've been using this slide out rack for over 10 years now:

View attachment 76865 View attachment 76864

This season, I replaced the low profile side tool boxes with full size units:

View attachment 76863 View attachment 76862

I'm looking at adding a "plumbers" cap to mount on top of the side boxes. Until then, I use a tarp across the bikes & box tops to keep the weather off the bikes when the truck is parked. No pics yet since I took the bike rack off the truck for the winter. You can see it up on the lift in the upper right of pic 3. I plow snow during the Winter and there is no reason to have the rack bouncing around in the bed when it isn't needed.

The high side boxes provide a degree of security since the only way to access the bikes is from the rear. A thief would have to climb up into the bed to get at them and set off the motion alarm in the process.
Now, see, I had thought of that also, and putting a soft top on it so I could climb in and roll it up and be able to walk to the front. Or just using a soft topper, but of course that is minimal top security. A high top van would solve a lot of problems:).

The handlebars on this bike are above the roof line so it wouldn't fit under most toppers.
I use to have toppers but went to a soft rollup cover and like it a lot.

I will have to adjust my bar ends a bit lower or get shorter ones but I think I’ve got a plan for doing this if I can get the topper cheap enough. All will be revealed once I get the topper.😉

I just purchased a locknload wheel chock to use for transporting my ebike. It is a well designed system that locks the front wheel in place and is then secured with a strap. It can be bought on eBay for just over a hundred bucks and I'm going to make so it can be removed and installed easily without doing any damage to the back of the truck.

I just purchased a locknload wheel chock to use for transporting my ebike. It is a well designed system that locks the front wheel in place and is then secured with a strap. It can be bought on eBay for just over a hundred bucks and I'm going to make so it can be removed and installed easily without doing any damage to the back of the truck.

Interesting product...how does it install? Drill into truck bed? Post pictures when you have it set up. Thank you.

It can be attached directly to the bed, I'll probably just use some heavy duty plywood about 2 feet long and fasten to it that way.

You have wheel wells to contend with.
That’s part of the planned modifications. No drilling into the bed involved either. If it works as planned, both of our Allant+7 will be locked inside the topper with both wheels on.

Now, see, I had thought of that also, and putting a soft top on it so I could climb in and roll it up and be able to walk to the front. Or just using a soft topper, but of course that is minimal top security. A high top van would solve a lot of problems:).
With a slide out rack, you really don't need to climb into the truck bed to get at the bikes.
A high top van equipped with a slide out rack would definitely be Ideal for transporting bikes. It would offer perfect protection from weather and the bikes would be out of sight from would be thieves.
Unfortunately, my vehicle has to do double duty. Transport bikes in the warmer weather and plow snow during Winter. Although there are a few factory equipped 4WD vans out there, none are equipped to handle a plow without major aftermarket modification.

With a slide out rack, you really don't need to climb into the truck bed to get at the bikes.
A high top van equipped with a slide out rack would definitely be Ideal for transporting bikes. It would offer perfect protection from weather and the bikes would be out of sight from would be thieves.
Unfortunately, my vehicle has to do double duty. Transport bikes in the warmer weather and plow snow during Winter. Although there are a few factory equipped 4WD vans out there, none are equipped to handle a plow without major aftermarket modification.
I got the high top topper for my truck exactly because I’m not willing to spend major money on another vehicle as I have long distance bike trips planned. If I was wanting to buy another vehicle, I’d certainly consider a taller van.

It might but...
  1. It raises the bike up, possibly making it hit the top
  2. I have fenders
  3. Its really expensive for two bikes

I have been looking for a couple years for a means to carry my bicycle on some crossbars that run over a tonneau cover. Basically, I want the security of a locking tonneau, and keep the bikes up on top of the tonneau so they don't pick up debris from being in a hitch mounted bike rack. The problem is most of the bike carriers that you would put on the crossbars are designed to go on top of a roof rack, and are only rated to carry 45 pounds. Most eBikes exceed that. While it's probably fine, in an accident you would be liable. I concluded there is no solution.

I have been looking for a couple years for a means to carry my bicycle on some crossbars that run over a tonneau cover. Basically, I want the security of a locking tonneau, and keep the bikes up on top of the tonneau so they don't pick up debris from being in a hitch mounted bike rack. The problem is most of the bike carriers that you would put on the crossbars are designed to go on top of a roof rack, and are only rated to carry 45 pounds. Most eBikes exceed that. While it's probably fine, in an accident you would be liable. I concluded there is no solution.
I use 40# rated roof racks to carry my 60# bikes in a pickup bed. The rating is due to the side to side or sway loading on the rack arms. I compensate for this by tying off the bikes to the rack base thus taking some of the load off the arms. I've been carrying bikes like this for over 10 years without any problems. Your point is well taken about liability in case of an accident though.

A month or so ago, I saw an interesting scheme for carrying bikes in a pickup bed. The truck was equipped with a ladder rack and the bikes were simply hung from crossbars attached to the rack. There was enough clearance underneath the bikes for an enclosed tool box with a slide out tray. The tires of the bikes rested in channels mounted on top of the box to keep them from swaying. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera to take pics.

Another idea would be to use one of these:

6bc8efd4c397978c40513a875e6d4584.jpg

Mount the roof style bike racks to the top of the box and store your gear in the slide out underneath. Not cheap though.

Another idea would be to use these cheaper slides and make your own "drawer" and cover box out of plywood:

905901000_primary_450px.jpg

You could make the box as tall as you like, even flush with the bed sides, and then mount the bike racks on top. That way, there would be no need for a tonneau cover.
The whole rig could slide out when not in use.

Back