Who is transporting their ebikes standing up inside a truck bed under topper?

I have been looking for a couple years for a means to carry my bicycle on some crossbars that run over a tonneau cover. Basically, I want the security of a locking tonneau, and keep the bikes up on top of the tonneau so they don't pick up debris from being in a hitch mounted bike rack. The problem is most of the bike carriers that you would put on the crossbars are designed to go on top of a roof rack, and are only rated to carry 45 pounds. Most eBikes exceed that. While it's probably fine, in an accident you would be liable. I concluded there is no solution.
Only thing I can suggest is to build some sort of aluminum frame that sits outside the tonneau that you can mount the rack to.

I've thought about making a topper out of 2x4's and plywood. Using the width of 4 foot for the sides above the bed rails would make it about 6' tall or about 9' high from the ground so it would go into a 10' garage door. Even room to put an a/c on top. Cover the exterior with Henrys 100% tropi-cool silicone roofing in white. Put a rear swing up door on it so it could be used as a shade/shelter with a prop.

I've thought about making a topper out of 2x4's and plywood. Using the width of 4 foot for the sides above the bed rails would make it about 6' tall or about 9' high from the ground so it would go into a 10' garage door. Even room to put an a/c on top. Cover the exterior with Henrys 100% tropi-cool silicone roofing in white. Put a rear swing up door on it so it could be used as a shade/shelter with a prop.
I’ve seen pics of toppers like that but I’d probably look for a slide in camper made of fiberglass. Wood frames would take just too much shaking & bouncing plus they’re pretty heavy and NOT weatherproof. Not saying it couldn’t be done, just that I wouldn't do it.

There's an auction coming up, if you're in Jeffersonville, IN for a couple brand new truck bed slide trays. Look up purple wave auction and the auction numbers are ip9050 and ip9054. I have no affiliation or information about them.

I have been looking for a couple years for a means to carry my bicycle on some crossbars that run over a tonneau cover. Basically, I want the security of a locking tonneau, and keep the bikes up on top of the tonneau so they don't pick up debris from being in a hitch mounted bike rack. The problem is most of the bike carriers that you would put on the crossbars are designed to go on top of a roof rack, and are only rated to carry 45 pounds. Most eBikes exceed that. While it's probably fine, in an accident you would be liable. I concluded there is no solution.
New to this forum. Just bought two Aventon Aventures. Absolutely love the bike but it is a heavy beast. Because we tow an RV putting the bikes on a bike carrier that fits on crossbars above our tonneau cover is the best fit for us. I want to haul with the front tire off on a fork mounted system. As popular as ebikes have become, I am absolutely astounded that there is not a single option on the market for hauling a 72 pound fat tire bike in this manner. I am afraid of hauling my bike on a system such as bikeman242 has said that is rated to only 45 pounds because sway from such a heavy bike in the front fork locking system may break the fork of the bike. I am currently looking into a welding fabrication shop to build a simple design for me. Has anyone had issues using front fork mounted systems such as the Thule locking low rider. I want to use this locker in my design and weld/attach to a plate that will will be attached to my crossbars. Thanks so much for any comments.

New to this forum. Just bought two Aventon Aventures. Absolutely love the bike but it is a heavy beast. Because we tow an RV putting the bikes on a bike carrier that fits on crossbars above our tonneau cover is the best fit for us. I want to haul with the front tire off on a fork mounted system. As popular as ebikes have become, I am absolutely astounded that there is not a single option on the market for hauling a 72 pound fat tire bike in this manner. I am afraid of hauling my bike on a system such as bikeman242 has said that is rated to only 45 pounds because sway from such a heavy bike in the front fork locking system may break the fork of the bike. I am currently looking into a welding fabrication shop to build a simple design for me. Has anyone had issues using front fork mounted systems such as the Thule locking low rider. I want to use this locker in my design and weld/attach to a plate that will will be attached to my crossbars. Thanks so much for any comments.
If your towing an RV, it may just be easiest to travel with the bikes in the RV.

I do not believe there is a solution to traveling with a heavy eBike on a crossbar that sits above a tonneau cover. I have spent much time looking for a commercially available product. I do not believe one exists.

If your towing an RV, it may just be easiest to travel with the bikes in the RV.

I do not believe there is a solution to traveling with a heavy eBike on a crossbar that sits above a tonneau cover. I have spent much time looking for a commercially available product. I do not believe one exists.
Even if there was, we couldn’t get them up there with my bum shoulder. And given the front hydraulic disc brake, the idea of removing/reinstalling the front wheel all the time would be a giant PITA. We’ve got a good system down for two ebikes with the tall topper but adapting it to now work with three ebikes is problematic. I may have to resort to removing the front wheel for one of them or leave one at home.
BTW, we found we don’t need the blue straps at all.
204DDAD0-728C-4533-B4D2-5B85FA7DDB02.jpeg
CB48900A-CF96-43DC-BD79-95861B59C58D.jpeg

I am afraid of hauling my bike on a system such as bikeman242 has said that is rated to only 45 pounds because sway from such a heavy bike in the front fork locking system may break the fork of the bike. I am currently looking into a welding fabrication shop to build a simple design for me. Has anyone had issues using front fork mounted systems such as the Thule locking low rider. I want to use this locker in my design and weld/attach to a plate that will will be attached to my crossbars. Thanks so much for any comments.

I've been using Thule Sidearm roof racks in the bed of my pickup to carry my 62# bikes for 3 years now.

Pic 7a.jpg

These racks are rated at 50 #, but so far, I've had no issues with the heavier bikes. The arms hold the front wheel which does put a strain on the front forks. As a precaution, I use nylon straps attached to the pickup rails for long trips.

Who is transporting their ebikes standing up inside a truck bed under topper? I want to protect the ebikes from weather and from thieves! I don’t want to remove tires. What truck/topper combination and what kind of rack are you using? Pictures?
Just saw this today. A couple was transporting their bikes standing up in the back of their truck and the topper was a Softtop. They said you can find info on softtopper.com. The set up looked pretty cool and they had no problems getting their bikes out of the topper. I did not get a picture but probably can see on their website.

Just saw this today. A couple was transporting their bikes standing up in the back of their truck and the topper was a Softtop. They said you can find info on softtopper.com. The set up looked pretty cool and they had no problems getting their bikes out of the topper. I did not get a picture but probably can see on their website.
Yeah, no way would I put two ebikes inside a cloth topper hoping they would be weatherproof AND secure. I realize nothing is totally secure but my setup will slow them down considerably as there’s another layer or two not shown.

I have been transporting road bikes in the bed of a pickup for the past 50+ years. I put a heavy rubber bed mat and lay the bike on top on its side. With a second bike I use a large piece of heavy grade 4-ply cardboard (shipping boxes for bikes and appliances and large screen televisions work very well). The second bike rolls in along the outer edge of the bed and then I lay it on its side. I have used fiberglass caps or shells and blackened out the windows and used black fabric curtains. If no one can see inside then their is no temptation to break into the truck. The bikes are safe from the weather and thieves and incompetent drivers that could hit the bikes if they were outside on a bike rack.

My current SUV took years to find as I wanted one that was long enough inside to fit two road bikes with the wheels left on. Finally found the Chevy Traverse in 2018 and for that model year it had more interior space than any other SUV. Interestingly enough the Subaru Outback with is configured for only two rows of seating will also fit a road bike inside with the wheels left one.

I have a Yakima rack for up to 4 standard bikes and a 1Up Super Duty Double that will hold multiple e-bikes up to 70 lbs in weight but most of the time it is easier to put the bikes, standard or electric, into the back of the Traverse SUV.

I have been transporting road bikes in the bed of a pickup for the past 50+ years. I put a heavy rubber bed mat and lay the bike on top on its side. With a second bike I use a large piece of heavy grade 4-ply cardboard (shipping boxes for bikes and appliances and large screen televisions work very well). The second bike rolls in along the outer edge of the bed and then I lay it on its side. I have used fiberglass caps or shells and blackened out the windows and used black fabric curtains. If no one can see inside then their is no temptation to break into the truck. The bikes are safe from the weather and thieves and incompetent drivers that could hit the bikes if they were outside on a bike rack.

My current SUV took years to find as I wanted one that was long enough inside to fit two road bikes with the wheels left on. Finally found the Chevy Traverse in 2018 and for that model year it had more interior space than any other SUV. Interestingly enough the Subaru Outback with is configured for only two rows of seating will also fit a road bike inside with the wheels left one.

I have a Yakima rack for up to 4 standard bikes and a 1Up Super Duty Double that will hold multiple e-bikes up to 70 lbs in weight but most of the time it is easier to put the bikes, standard or electric, into the back of the Traverse SUV.
We were very close to buying a used Ford Transport high top cargo van so we could install a standing mount on the rear tire for two or three ebikes in the back. That way we could basically hang them in back and have plenty of camping room inside. We decided not to go that route (read “spend that money”) at this time. Maybe in the future when COVID reduction allows longer trips and hybrid or electric systems reach those vans.

Slightly different vehicle but concept is the same. A Peugeot Expert panel van.

I’ve made some supports from Oak furniture legs, fitted them to the side wall (to support the seat tube) and floor (to support the front wheel). Then Velcro to hold in place.

Seems to be sturdy and supports well, with very little movement.
CB90F272-E463-4A1C-88B0-CD63AE17F599.jpeg
6B743331-948D-4815-B174-044FB9B0E98C.jpeg
93F3E11B-6E5D-4CD7-8BF1-ABDE3E8B3339.jpeg

We were very close to buying a used Ford Transport high top cargo van so we could install a standing mount on the rear tire for two or three ebikes in the back. That way we could basically hang them in back and have plenty of camping room inside. We decided not to go that route (read “spend that money”) at this time. Maybe in the future when COVID reduction allows longer trips and hybrid or electric systems reach those vans.
I considered going the same route but vetoed for the same reason.

The pickup I use now to transport my bikes does double duty. A cargo van would be pretty much a vehicle dedicated to a single purpose..

Locknload.
1. Push bike up the ramp into the wheel chock
2. Strap it in
3 secure the ramp
This can be done in just a few minutes.

Attachments

• 20210822_115046.jpg
    20210822_115046.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210822_115155.jpg
    20210822_115155.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 20210822_115538.jpg
    20210822_115538.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 206
I want to protect the ebikes from weather and from thieves! I don’t want to remove tires.
I realize this isn't what you asked for, but it's how we deal with keeping our bikes protected. We bought folding bikes. The one on the right is a Giant Expressway, non-motorized. We have two of these. I cobbled together plywood "sleds" which help slide them in and out of the vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The one on the left is an Evelo Dash mid-drive. We now have two of the Evelos. I haven't built anything to help pack them yet, so the picture includes some bungees and padding that I've been using as a temporary measure.

We tow a small travel trailer at times. So, additional to keeping the bikes secure, this arrangement keeps the bikes ready for transport even after we set up the trailer in camp.

Even if this doesn't help you out personally, I figured it might be of interest to someone else who reads the thread.

Attachments

• IMG_3176 - Bikes in Vehicle.JPG
    IMG_3176 - Bikes in Vehicle.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I realize this isn't what you asked for, but it's how we deal with keeping our bikes protected. We bought folding bikes. The one on the right is a Giant Expressway, non-motorized. We have two of these. I cobbled together plywood "sleds" which help slide them in and out of the vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The one on the left is an Evelo Dash mid-drive. We now have two of the Evelos. I haven't built anything to help pack them yet, so the picture includes some bungees and padding that I've been using as a temporary measure.

We tow a small travel trailer at times. So, additional to keeping the bikes secure, this arrangement keeps the bikes ready for transport even after we set up the trailer in camp.

Even if this doesn't help you out personally, I figured it might be of interest to someone else who reads the thread.
Great setup. For your set up it’s perfect.
I just really don’t want to remove front tires all the time.

Back