Who has a GPS on their bike?

Feliz

I do, I use it mainly so I know the grade of the hills I'm climbing. It's a Garmin and I'm able to mount it on all my bikes via small brackets held on by o-rings. Steepest hill I've encountered so far is 13 degrees and it's a few hundred feet from my house. Lots of 10-12 degree hills.

I use a Garmin Edge 25. It can get costly to equip all 6 of my bikes(3 ebikes) with cycling computers and the edge works with all of them. As a bonus, I use a HR monitor and log all my rides using garmin express.

I wouldnt use anything else.

I dont think garmin express does % grade. Im pretty sure Strada does. It would be nice to have but not a requirement

I use a Garmin Edge 25. It can get costly to equip all 6 of my bikes(3 ebikes) with cycling computers and the edge works with all of them. As a bonus, I use a HR monitor and log all my rides using garmin express.

I wouldnt use anything else.

I dont think garmin express does % grade. Im pretty sure Strada does. It would be nice to have but not a requirement

I didn't explain it clearly but I have one Garmin, can't remember the model I'll have to look, and I have it set up so I can move it from bike to bike like you do.

I use two Garmin GPS receivers, a Montana 650T and an Oregon 450. That way I can view the ride stats on the Montana's big screen while using the Oregon to display a map. It saves the distraction of pushing buttons to change screens.

P1060872a.jpg

I mount them on all my bikes using the RAM mounting system.

ramb231zinc_img2.jpg rapb201a.jpg

I wear a Garmin Fenix 3HR - not always, but on longer rides, just for activity tracking. I'm a runner and mountain biker and I've been using wristwatch-style GPS for over ten years now. I don't find the instantaneous grade useful but I do watch the elevation and elevation change, and later on Strava I can marvel at the numbers ;) (I am https://www.strava.com/athletes/21976328 if you are on Strava too!)

My Bosch Nyon display has GPS functions, but I still like using the Garmin Oregon 550 as well and have a mount for it on my Gazelle Arroyo.

Garmin Edge for tracking rides and navigation when I am desperate or lost.

Sometimes I use a Lezyne Micro C GPS watch. I can wear it as a watch or mount it on the handlebar. It is a tiny screen and kinda clunky ...

mi teléfono con aplicación Aquí vamos a Android, modo fuera de línea, descargar mapa país ..... fácil

my phone wih app "Here we go" Android,out line,download map country ....easy

all free

Any suggestions on GPS devices that can fit on handlebar and have routing directly on the device?

I want a GPS for navigation. I don’t think the screens on cellphones ( iphone 8 in my case) are good enough in bright sunlight but it seems that with a cellphone with e.g. Google maps or Topo Gps it is easier to create a route on the device. I know I can’t add waypoints in google maps.

Creating routes on a tablet and then send to your gps would be nice but I haven’t seen any examples of that.
Actually I could skip routing and just use the gps screen to show me where I am if the screen is large enough to be readable.

I wear a Garmin Vivoactive HR and also use Under Armour "Map my Ride" on my iPhone. The Garmin gives me more and better data and syncs with the Map my Ride app, but if I inadvertently hit one of the buttons on the watch, if stops tracking and only gives me options to save or discard.

Any suggestions on GPS devices that can fit on handlebar and have routing directly on the device?

The Garmin Montana, already mentioned by a few posters, has a large daylight readable screen and has routing capabilities. It has no speaker built in but one can be added with the proper mount. Not cheap new but there are many available used or refurbished on sites like eBay.

The Garmin Montana, already mentioned by a few posters, has a large daylight readable screen and has routing capabilities. It has no speaker built in but one can be added with the proper mount. Not cheap new but there are many available used or refurbished on sites like eBay.
I have not used a Montana, but I am curious. Does the speaker in the navigation mount work when the Montana is powered by battery, or only when it is powered by USB?

I want a GPS for navigation. I don’t think the screens on cellphones ( iphone 8 in my case) are good enough in bright sunlight but it seems that with a cellphone with e.g. Google maps or Topo Gps it is easier to create a route on the device. I know I can’t add waypoints in google maps.

Creating routes on a tablet and then send to your gps would be nice but I haven’t seen any examples of that.
Actually I could skip routing and just use the gps screen to show me where I am if the screen is large enough to be readable.

Check out the Garmin GPS bike computers, particularly the 500 series and above. I have an older Edge 500 and you can create routes on a tablet and upload them to the device, but the navigation is rudimentary on that model. I use mine mostly for HR monitoring and ride tracking, and it easily goes from bike to bike, as others have mentioned.

Reactions: PaD

I've used the Komoot app on Android successfully. Finds bike routes nicely.

I have not used a Montana, but I am curious. Does the speaker in the navigation mount work when the Montana is powered by battery, or only when it is powered by USB?

The Montana Amps vehicle mount provides audio output from the GPS without external power. The mount does not include a speaker, just a 3.5mm output jack. The speaker must be mounted separately or use an earphone. In my case, I connect the audio output to a Bluetooth transmitter which sends audio to mini speakers in my Sena bike helmet.

Back