Which safety considerations make or break an eBike purchase for you?

Mechanical brakes have been used on bikes for over 100 years and work just fine. I have had mechanical disc brakes on a Jamis road bike that were frustrating because they were fussy to align the disc with the calipers and made a lot of noise, but they stopped the bike just fine. I would be concerned about cheap Chinese hydraulic or mechanical brakes, but name brand mechanical brakes are not a show stopper if you ride the bike at normal bicycle speeds. If you ride the bike at motorcycle speeds, then you are going to need better brakes.
What fooferdoggie said. Hydros are a step up and you see them used on modern quality bikes. My Modolo Master Pro rim brakes stopped my road bike great in the 1990's, and they were precision instruments. But I wouldn't use them today because there are better tools for the job now. And they are not unduly expensive. So if they're missing, its a sign other corners likely have been cut.

What fooferdoggie said. Hydros are a step up and you see them used on modern quality bikes. My Modolo Master Pro rim brakes stopped my road bike great in the 1990's, and they were precision instruments. But I wouldn't use them today because there are better tools for the job now. And they are not unduly expensive. So if they're missing, its a sign other corners likely have been cut.
I like top of the line components and I am willing to spend extra for them. However, if someone is on a budget, I don't think that mechanical brakes from a name brand manufacturer on a class 1 ebike is a safety concern. If you are spending less than $2K on an ebike (not DIY), I guarantee that compromises on the quality of the components have been made to reach that price point.

For people new to cycling reading this thread, it should be pointed out that a lot of what you pay extra for with top of the line cycling components is lighter weight design and materials. Second to that are features that the average cyclist may or may not need like the clutch on XTR derailleurs or 11 speeds instead of 10 or 8. These things do not affect safety, but do affect cost. With brakes, if you can lock up the wheels in the conditions that you ride the bike with mechanical brakes, having four piston hydraulic brakes instead isn't going to improve safety. Sometimes all you have to do is change the pads to improve braking. For disc brakes, installing a larger rotor will give you more stopping power. Particularly on the front brake, which you should be using to do most of your braking.

Visibility is my #1 concern. Being seen by cars is critical. To that end I wear bright colors, have a white bike, and use lights on front and rear. The rear light is a Garmin RTL515 which also includes a radar unit that works with either my cell phone or the handlebar mounted Garmin Edge 1030 Plus. I've added a bar end mirror to look backward when the radar warns me. The radar saved my skin once already so the cost was well worth it.

I also consider a throttle a necessity on any bike so that should I have a medical issue (heart), can either get home or at least somewhere besides the middle of nowhere. Therefore battery amp hours is also a concern.
This Garmin radar setup is super interesting to me. Could you say more about the radar saving you from an accident?

Handling. Some e-bikes handle like a log with wheels. If I can't make a smooth variable radius S turns, it is a no go. I have avoided so many accidents because the bike does not frame whip or the CG is not so high you cannot cut a clean consistent line in a turn.

For people new to cycling reading this thread, it should be pointed out that a lot of what you pay extra for with top of the line cycling components is lighter weight design and materials. Second to that are features that the average cyclist may or may not need like the clutch on XTR derailleurs or 11 speeds instead of 10 or 8. These things do not affect safety, but do affect cost. With brakes, if you can lock up the wheels in the conditions that you ride the bike with mechanical brakes, having four piston hydraulic brakes instead isn't going to improve safety. Sometimes all you have to do is change the pads to improve braking. For disc brakes, installing a larger rotor will give you more stopping power. Particularly on the front brake, which you should be using to do most of your braking.
Agree. Better components aren't just about safety. Hydraulic brakes are becoming standard equipment for arthritic hands, suspension seats for lumbar pain, etc.

This Garmin radar setup is super interesting to me. Could you say more about the radar saving you from an accident?
2-lane country road with no shoulder… which is very common here in rural Tennessee. 50 MPH speed limit, but most people do 55-60 (or more). At the top of the hill I was on, the road turns slightly left and goes down even steeper. I was nearing the top of a hill when the radar went off (audible alert) with a red color indicating that the vehicle is approaching rapidly. Briefly looking down at the mirror I verified a large pickup truck was coming on quickly and just got to the point of the hill to where I could see an oncoming car in the other direction at close to the same distance away. Because of the hill, neither of the vehicles could see each other. There was no shoulder and past the pavement was only a deep ditch. Fortunately, the bank of the ditch wasn’t too sharp so I push my right foot down, rode off into the ditch a foot or two off the road, and stopped. Good thing I did too as both vehicles passed each other just slightly ahead of where I was and probably would have been meeting at my location on the road.

Now you may wonder why I didn’t take the lane and expect the truck to slow down? My experience in this area is that many people will not slow down for a bicycle/ebike and will pass them in a blind spot. I’ve seen them do it to Amish buggies all the time too. This is especially true with younger drivers who have the big, jacked-up (lift kit), 4-wheel drive trucks. I’d rather hit a ditch than be hit by a car or truck. I can't swear that it saved my bacon, but I believe it to be true.

While I like the Garmin radar, my biggest gripe is the battery life. If you ride in town or busy roads, you’ll get constant notifications which can be annoying. But riding in town seems to adversely effect battery life too. I’m going to have to do some testing to see if the RTL515 works while charging. I don’t think it does as when the battery was low on a long ride, I tried connecting the radar to the USB port on the bike. A few minutes later it powered off. I have since tested the USB power port along with the cable and both are fine.

Really, safety and stopping power is not the main attraction with doing hydros. Its more about rider satisfaction with the bike. Being a moderator on the Sondors FB group, and one other that focuses on the general retail ebike rider, each has a population of thousands of riders, mostly new to bikes period and with little experience beforehand. They're all riding heavy ebikes of course, and a very, very common issue is riders running into cable stretch and having to adjust and then readjust the cables and pads as normal wear takes its course. As the brakes go out of adjustment people feel - and hear - the pads rubbing and so on and it pisses them off, as you'd expect.

Hydros on the other hand: the pads self-adjust and there is no cable stretch. Fears about leaking cables voiced by proponents of cabled brakes never materialize. $100 can buy you a 2-axle set of Shimano brakes and levers that include wired cutoffs. And once they're on, the next maintenance on the brakes tends to be changing worn out pads, versus the cable stretch fix, or the removed the wheel and now need to re-center fix etc. etc. In that world, you see time after time people do this upgrade and voice the same satisfaction at 1) the easier grab on the lever and 2) the blessing of no maintenance and no more fussing.

I buy the expensive ones, but the more general-consumer-level hydros offer the same low/no maintenance benefit so the casual e-cyclist can forget about the brakes and just ride.

Really, safety and stopping power is not the main attraction with doing hydros. Its more about rider satisfaction with the bike. Being a moderator on the Sondors FB group, and one other that focuses on the general retail ebike rider, each has a population of thousands of riders, mostly new to bikes period and with little experience beforehand. They're all riding heavy ebikes of course, and a very, very common issue is riders running into cable stretch and having to adjust and then readjust the cables and pads as normal wear takes its course. As the brakes go out of adjustment people feel - and hear - the pads rubbing and so on and it pisses them off, as you'd expect.

Hydros on the other hand: the pads self-adjust and there is no cable stretch. Fears about leaking cables voiced by proponents of cabled brakes never materialize. $100 can buy you a 2-axle set of Shimano brakes and levers that include wired cutoffs. And once they're on, the next maintenance on the brakes tends to be changing worn out pads, versus the cable stretch fix, or the removed the wheel and now need to re-center fix etc. etc. In that world, you see time after time people do this upgrade and voice the same satisfaction at 1) the easier grab on the lever and 2) the blessing of no maintenance and no more fussing.

I buy the expensive ones, but the more general-consumer-level hydros offer the same low/no maintenance benefit so the casual e-cyclist can forget about the brakes and just ride.
Those are valid points. It is not fair to say hydros are no maintenance though. Bleeding hydraulic brakes is a bit more work than adjusting cable actuated brakes and if you need to cut the tubes to fit the bike, you will need to bleed them.

Hydro vs cable disc brakes choice for me is about the fact that hydro disc brakes retract both pistons on each side (or sets of pistons). The reason this matters is hydraulic disc brakes set up with pistons at a reasonable distance from the rotor so there is no "chuff, chuff, chuff" sound as the rotor touches a very close pad every revolution. By contrast, the most common cable discs such as Avid BB-5 and BB-7 have only one piston that moves toward the rotor. The other side's piston is stationary and has the rotor pushed against it by the moving piston. This design works fine in practice and has stopped a million mountain bikes since discs were introduced. Since it works ok, it may hardly matter that I dislike this design, and find it to be an engineering kluge to require the rotor to be bent out of plane toward the stationary piston, even if it only has to bend a little. In recent years TRP released their Spyre mechanical disc brake that has both pistons moving toward the rotor and both retracting. In theory this fixes the kluge but the Spyre brake has some stiffness problems and goes out of adjustment too easily in practice. It's fine, but I am happy to skip over cable / mechanical disc brakes entirely. Hydraulic technology is mature, reliable, and easy to learn, and the only real problem with it is that old school bicycle mechanics (like me) didn't have the tools or experience to fix it, especially out on the road or trail. My preference was to learn the "new" skills and how to use the new hydro tools (few and simple), and move fully to hyrdo disc brakes on bicycles and e-bikes. It's true that cable discs will stop ok for many e-bikes as ridden in their environment, and if they do, great. I still ride (cable) rim-brakes on many of my cycles and they stop well too. I build all my bikes from the frame up so I choose the components I prefer, and even modified the new e-bike I bought in late March, including switching out it's full hydro brakes for better full hydro brakes. Not necessary for function, but it was a happy preference for me.

Following this thread. Know nothing about modern brakes but mine are entry-level hydraulics and seem good.

For a folding bike, that gets folded…the cable activated, hydraulic calipers are probably the happy medium amd an inexpensive upgrade over end-to-end cable disc brakes.

For a folding bike, that gets folded…the cable activated, hydraulic calipers are probably the happy medium amd an inexpensive upgrade over end-to-end cable disc brakes.
These are good performers in my experience. I like the version that has a reservoir at the caliper so they are self-adjusting like regular full hydro brakes. The self-adjusting capability of hydro brakes (with reservoir), is a key reason to prefer them, as m@Roberson pointed out. Adjusting cable-mechanical discs is not a big deal when you get the habit in place, and they tend to require a bit of extra attention anyway because of how close the stationary piston needs to stay to the rotor. But I'm glad there are hydraulic calipers that work with cable levers for those times when you have specific levers you need to use, or for folders as you say.

Although it’s not a dealbreaker, I think integrated visibility/flasher lighting should be a standard on electric bikes. No reason that it cannot be implemented. I’m not talking about nighttime headlamps, I’m talking just daylight flasher running lights, front and rear. They don’t have to be an appendage, they can incorporate something streamlined into the frame or the handlebars, etc. very easily. I bought a Turbo Vado 5SL with front and rear lighting. The installed lighting doesn’t do all that I’d like , but at least it provides an integrated 12V connection, albeit limited in current to 650ma.

2-lane country road with no shoulder… which is very common here in rural Tennessee. 50 MPH speed limit, but most people do 55-60 (or more). At the top of the hill I was on, the road turns slightly left and goes down even steeper. I was nearing the top of a hill when the radar went off (audible alert) with a red color indicating that the vehicle is approaching rapidly. Briefly looking down at the mirror I verified a large pickup truck was coming on quickly and just got to the point of the hill to where I could see an oncoming car in the other direction at close to the same distance away. Because of the hill, neither of the vehicles could see each other. There was no shoulder and past the pavement was only a deep ditch. Fortunately, the bank of the ditch wasn’t too sharp so I push my right foot down, rode off into the ditch a foot or two off the road, and stopped. Good thing I did too as both vehicles passed each other just slightly ahead of where I was and probably would have been meeting at my location on the road.

Now you may wonder why I didn’t take the lane and expect the truck to slow down? My experience in this area is that many people will not slow down for a bicycle/ebike and will pass them in a blind spot. I’ve seen them do it to Amish buggies all the time too. This is especially true with younger drivers who have the big, jacked-up (lift kit), 4-wheel drive trucks. I’d rather hit a ditch than be hit by a car or truck. I can't swear that it saved my bacon, but I believe it to be true.

While I like the Garmin radar, my biggest gripe is the battery life. If you ride in town or busy roads, you’ll get constant notifications which can be annoying. But riding in town seems to adversely effect battery life too. I’m going to have to do some testing to see if the RTL515 works while charging. I don’t think it does as when the battery was low on a long ride, I tried connecting the radar to the USB port on the bike. A few minutes later it powered off. I have since tested the USB power port along with the cable and both are fine.
OK, your post piqued my curiosity and my subsequent research convinced me I want a Garmin RTL510 on my new and yet to arrive R&M Load 75.

Question: my Load 75 is configured with a Bosch Nyon display which doesn't directly support the Garmin RTL510. This means I'll need another head unit (or my phone) to display the info from the radar. It's unfortunate because that will result in some redundancy as the Nyon is pretty full featured. How should I think about displaying the radar signal in this situation?

Last edited:
OK, your post piqued my curiosity and my subsequent research convinced me I want a Garmin RTL510 on my new and yet to arrive R&M Load 75.

Question: my Load 75 is configured with a Bosch Nyon display which doesn't directly support the Garmin RTL510. This means I'll need another head unit (or my phone) to display the info from the radar. It's unfortunate because that will result in some redundancy as the Nyon is pretty full featured. How should I think about displaying the radar signal in this situation?
I use both because its a lto easier to record rides to strava with the garmin and I already had i weh nI installed the nyon. Plus you get temp and whateverr else you cat fit on one screen on the nyon and notifications too.

The bike needs to not be designed to have the fork whip out of my hands sideways on obstructions, pitch the seat up and throw my chin to the pavement. I've done this on a Diamondback MTB (twice), a 90's Huffy Cruiser, and a Pacific Quantum MTB (twice). It would be nice if my arms & hands were stronger and I could hold on and keep the handlebars straight, but bulking up arm muscles would just cause more arthritis in my hands and elbow joints.
The fork trail was changed in the sixties to provide "fast" steering. I don't need fast steering. I need steering stable as my Mother's 1946 Firestone bike, or my 1960 Joske's bike. I checked >200 frames on a database in 2017. All had exactly the same trail although some had a slack (increased) head angle and different trail to provide the same effective fast steering. I called a custom frame builder in 2017: he refused to discuss providing a "different" fork design. A custom frame would have to be extended too, to allow a fork with more trail to clear the frame when steering. To get 1940's steering, one needs to ride a 80 lb 1940's steel frame bike with steel wheels. Single speed since those frames don't have slots suitable for derailleurs.
In December 2017 I purchased a cargo bike, that has the same trail as the others but puts 75% of my weight on the front wheel instead of the back. 3 1/2 years and 7500 miles, no such accidents. I couldn't get a bike small enough for my legs with 24 speeds down to 1:1 sprocket ratio and a front motor, so I built one out of a pedal yuba bike for small women. The 7 lb battery hung off the front & 7 lb motor in the front wheel increase centering force also.
This means that I can't ride bus or train to a scenic location, rent an e-bike, and tour the sights. Cargo bikes are not for rent, especially electric ones. Especially frames for short people. Oh, well.
Besides that, I've quit riding rim brakes in the rain, since a lady ran a 4 way stop sign in 2017 and I ran into her car after stopping at the sign in my direction. I couldn't stop from 2 mph in 4 feet. Disk brakes or coaster brake or IGH internal band brake only.
A bike I used to commute with had steel wheels, and they were poor for stopping when wet. But I never had that kind of problem with aluminum wheels.

From what I understand, the price difference is small between the RTL510 and the RTL515. If you may want to use the Garmin radar with a phone, the RTL515 supports BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) where the 510 does not.

I bought the Garmin Edge 1030 Plus primarily for radar, mapping, and cadence display. One of the primary considerations for me was, even though I have a USB port available, not to run down my cell phone battery. I also don't want my iPhone 12 Pro Max exposed to the elements. If you don't need any of the other features other than displaying the radar, I'd look at the Varia radar display unit:

On the Varia radar display unit it appears that it doesn't have an audible warning. That's one of the features I wanted from the Garmin computer.

Back