Which frame lock mounts to the Specialized Turbo factory mounts?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple relative small and unobtrusive lock for the bike? I really only need to lock when I run into a store or coffee shop (hence liking the ‘cafe’ lock) and although no place is 100% safe, my locales are on the safer side of the range.

Yes and yes
Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple relative small and unobtrusive lock for the bike? I really only need to lock when I run into a store or coffee shop (hence liking the ‘cafe’ lock) and although no place is 100% safe, my locales are on the safer side of the range.
I use Ottolock for quick grocery run or coffee shop stop. I use Abus folding lock for longer stops. Ottolock is Light and easy to carry yet relatively safe.

Attachments

• C638D749-9119-48AD-BA5A-3DBFC919533C.jpeg
    C638D749-9119-48AD-BA5A-3DBFC919533C.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
I use Ottolock for quick grocery run or coffee shop stop. I use Abus folding lock for longer stops. Ottolock is Light and easy to carry yet relatively safe.
Maybe I’ll try the newer Ottolock Hexband. It’s a cinch but with stronger material.

We use the Abus frame locks for exactly this. They're always available and out of the way when you don't need them. We do carry the Abus cable that 'plugs' into the frame lock so we can secure the bikes to something fixed. The 2020 Vado frame mounting inserts are an issue that can be addressed with the Abus mounting adapter, or by spending a few minutes modifying the lock's mounting slots. This setup is for quick trips in realitively secure areas only. We also use Abus 6500 folding locks when we need more than security, always securing them to fixed objects.

We use the Abus frame locks for exactly this. They're always available and out of the way when you don't need them. We do carry the Abus cable that 'plugs' into the frame lock so we can secure the bikes to something fixed. The 2020 Vado frame mounting inserts are an issue that can be addressed with the Abus mounting adapter, or by spending a few minutes modifying the lock's mounting slots. This setup is for quick trips in realitively secure areas only. We also use Abus 6500 folding locks when we need more than security, always securing them to fixed objects.
I really wanted to use the Abus frame lock but I’m not at all confident in my ability to modify the connection. ;(

I really wanted to use the Abus frame lock but I’m not at all confident in my ability to modify the connection. ;(
The modification to the 5750L was very basic, just open up the mounting slot with a drill.

Attachments

• IMG_1052 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1052 (1).jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 730
I asked this same question in a previous thread that I started 2-3 weeks ago. In that thread Sierratim gave us thorough instructions about how to adapt an Abus frame lock to match the Vado connector's spacing. I got my Abus frame lock a couple of weeks ago and adapted it to fit my Vado 4. It wasn't that hard. If you're mechanical enough to remove a bike wheel and fix a flat, then you're mechanical enough to figure this out. If you're not that mechanical, then any bike shop could do it for you. Yes, it sucks that Abus and Specialized holes don't match, but they are really close and altering the lock to match the bike's connectors is really easy with a drill. Good luck getting a matching key though! I gave up on that!!

I asked this same question in a previous thread that I started 2-3 weeks ago. In that thread Sierratim gave us thorough instructions about how to adapt an Abus frame lock to match the Vado connector's spacing. I got my Abus frame lock a couple of weeks ago and adapted it to fit my Vado 4. It wasn't that hard. If you're mechanical enough to remove a bike wheel and fix a flat, then you're mechanical enough to figure this out. If you're not that mechanical, then any bike shop could do it for you. Yes, it sucks that Abus and Specialized holes don't match, but they are really close and altering the lock to match the bike's connectors is really easy with a drill. Good luck getting a matching key though! I gave up on that!!
The online euro based bike shops wouldn't even order a keyed alike Abus lock for me. I carry 2 keys on my bike key ring.

Any mount a frame lock to the factory mounts on a Turbo bicycle? I tried the ABUS 4960 but the mounting hardware was too narrow. Wondering if the XL sized ones will work.
The positioning of the screw holes is just plain weird. My LBS tried and I subsequently tried too. We ended up just cable-tieing an Abus on.
In the picture you can see that I have put it on the outside of the frame, but it is better if you put it on the inside, which is what the LBS had done. I only changed it because I preferred the key on the other side of the bike, but I'll change it around again when I can persuade my lazy-ass to.
20200501_154649.jpg

The positioning of the screw holes is just plain weird. My LBS tried and I subsequently tried too. We ended up just cable-tieing an Abus on.
In the picture you can see that I have put it on the outside of the frame, but it is better if you put it on the inside, which is what the LBS had done. I only changed it because I preferred the key on the other side of the bike, but I'll change it around again when I can persuade my lazy-ass to.
View attachment 51259
It's almost as if the Vado's frame lock bosses are useless! :oops:

View attachment 51259
Abus does make an adapter kit to mount frame locks to bikes without the frame inserts. I posted the link earlier in this thread; post #20. It uses zip ties as well but spaces the lock off the bike frame with mounting studs preventing paint damage.

The online euro based bike shops wouldn't even order a keyed alike Abus lock for me.

Could be a geoblocking issue.

I inquiered two companies in Germany offering "keyed to code" Abus locks (f.e. Shield Plus 5750) but they do not send abroad, and one had a geoblocking hint on his homepage.

Could be a geoblocking issue.

I inquiered two companies in Germany offering "keyed to code" Abus locks (f.e. Shield Plus 5750) but they do not send abroad, and one had a geoblocking hint on his homepage.
I just found this forum because I want a “keyed alike” frame lock for my new Vado 4.0. After reading all of the posts, I did an online search and found a company in North Carolina called Lockitt who will order keyed alike locks. I ordered one, giving them my key code. Takes 4-6 weeks to get it. I will post again when the lock arrives and I (hopefully) get it installed on my bike. In case you are curious, it is pricey. The Abus 5750L is $64.95, and there is a $6.50 special order fee. Also, although shipping is “free” from Germany, it comes by USPS in regular, untraceable mail. They suggest you upgrade to something with trackability for an additional fee, which I did. I know you can buy Abus locks all day long on Amazon for half the amount, but I REALLY wanted it keyed like my battery. I got such a good deal on the bike during the recent Specialized sale, I felt I could splurge and spend a little extra on the lock.

so we can secure the bikes to something fixed. The 2020 Vado frame mounting inserts are an issue

I purchased an Abus Frame lock for my Vado 3 - but put it to one side dreading the hassle of attachment - but Facing up to this task yesterday found that it fitted mounting inserts perfectly. Luck of the draw?

I purchased an Abus Frame lock for my Vado 3 - but put it to one side dreading the hassle of attachment - but Facing up to this task yesterday found that it fitted mounting inserts perfectly. Luck of the draw?
Maybe Specialized tweaked the frame inserts so they actually match the Abus locks?

Back