Which eMTB to consider? (bought a Levo Comp)

I had a chance to buy the wheelset for $200. Maybe I should still do that - could put road tires on them. [shrug]
The custom got anodized colors spoke nipples, bling hubs, I don't even remember all the doo-dads, of which there were many, and many I've never even heard of. 😋

At that price for the complete wheelset... I wouldn't even think twice about buying it. Always nice to have a spare set. ;)

Folks, if you want to go on about trails and conditions, please find a different thread. I didn't start this one to have it veer off on that tangent.

Folks, if you want to go on about trails and conditions, please find a different thread. I didn't start this one to have it veer off on that tangent.

If you would like to stay on track, some feedback on your choices is needed. ;)

Finally got on some properly adjusted Levo bikes. Now I can say they're up to handling hauling my fat-ass around without being excessively squashed. I definitely preferred the assistance of the Turbo Levo Comp over a Turbo Levo SL Comp. The assistance on the SL was noticeably less, which matters for me being a heavy guy. I also got to try a Levo SL Carbon both in medium and large, and I prefer the large frame size.

And of course the downside is there's no stock of the Turbo Levo Comp with a large frame. And no lead times available for new stock.

So my alternative is a Haibike. I've ridden an AllMtn and liked it with the Yamaha drive, but that was, again, a medium frame.

Finally got on some properly adjusted Levo bikes. Now I can say they're up to handling hauling my fat-ass around without being excessively squashed. I definitely preferred the assistance of the Turbo Levo Comp over a Turbo Levo SL Comp. The assistance on the SL was noticeably less, which matters for me being a heavy guy. I also got to try a Levo SL Carbon both in medium and large, and I prefer the large frame size.

And of course the downside is there's no stock of the Turbo Levo Comp with a large frame. And no lead times available for new stock.

So my alternative is a Haibike. I've ridden an AllMtn and liked it with the Yamaha drive, but that was, again, a medium frame.

Thanks for providing feedback. You may want to check with CL to see if they have your Haibike available in a large frame.

If they have your bike, call them and they will offer you a better price than posted and free shipping or no tax. ;)

Last edited:
Check ebikes508 - they generally have some good Haibike prices, free shipping, and great service getting your bike shipped out quickly to you.

https://ebikes508.com/

I've so far bought 3 e-bikes from them, including 2 Haibikes (Trekking)

And they seem to have good stock of the large size framed 2019 AllMtn 2.0 (Yamaha PW-X) and the 2019 AllMtn 3.0 (Bosch Performance Line CX) (although I don't much like the Purion display on the Bosch bike, but you can add a small and simple Garmin Edge 130 to get more ride metrics).

Check ebikes508 - https://ebikes508.com/

...(although I don't much like the Purion display on the Bosch bike, but you can add a small and simple Garmin Edge 130 to get more ride metrics).
I'll check with them, thanks.

The display thing is a whole 'nother can of worms. On my arguably limited demo rides I've liked having at least 'something' showing me data for mode/speed/voltage. Thus the minimalist total lack of display on the Levo is kinda disappointing. That I can use my phone as a display isn't really a comfort. Then I'm off on a another adventure finding an effective case/mount and power source. Risking a dead battery or smashed phone screen vs a much more rugged and compact unit firmly bolted and wired into the bike.

I wouldn't mind at least a bare-minimum speed/voltage setup. Going whole-hog on a nav setup is usually overkill. That's getting to where a phone with an app (and cell data service/offline maps) is worth considering. I've dealt with this in cars and boats. While an integrated nav setup is a nice option I'm not likely riding in situations where I'd need/want a totally on-bike solution.

But I suspect a conversation about nav, phone mounts and screen options is best left to a different thread.

I really don't use the Garmin Edge for its nav or mapping features (although those might be nice on any new mountain bike trails you check out for the first time). But the Bosch Purion display doesn't give some ride metrics which I like - Average speed, maximum speed, etc.

I use the Edge 130 as an example of any GPS enabled bike computer - no need for any wires or a magnet in the spokes of the front wheel or setting up the wheel circumference like the old days. I also like that it gives altitude based data, such as total ascent.

GPS based bike computers are available from a variety of manufacturers like Garmin, Lezyne, CatEye, Wahoo, Karoo and others. I just like the small form factor, ease of use and overall funtionality (especially that it is really easy to read) of the Edge 130 compared to others I have tried. I also like its auto start/stop feature, and that it is at least reasonably priced ($130-$150 on sale).

Check ebikes508 - they generally have some good Haibike prices, free shipping, and great service getting your bike shipped out quickly to you.

https://ebikes508.com/

I've so far bought 3 e-bikes from them, including 2 Haibikes (Trekking)

And they seem to have good stock of the large size framed 2019 AllMtn 2.0 (Yamaha PW-X) and the 2019 AllMtn 3.0 (Bosch Performance Line CX) (although I don't much like the Purion display on the Bosch bike, but you can add a small and simple Garmin Edge 130 to get more ride metrics).
When I was looking at Haibike eMTBs, I opted for the higher end 10.0 with much better components all the way around. Sure, you pay a bit more, however, the return on performance and reliability is 10 fold. Catch a sale and you can make a good score. Happy shopping! ;)

When I was looking at Haibike eMTBs, I opted for the higher end 10.0 with much better components all the way around.
Sure, you pay a bit more, however, the return on performance and reliability is 10 fold. Catch a sale and you can make a good score. Happy shopping! ;)

Found a high-end Haibike 10.5 listed on BBB with only 87 miles on the odometer.

1590708130949.png

From OP's OP:

"I'm looking for a bike capable of all-around riding. From urban streets to light woodland trails. I have no desire to be hammering downhills or scaling rocky ledges. Most riding is probably going to be with my 11 year old son, who currently has a Specialized fat-tire Riprock. The rest would likely be for exercise, on suburban streets and various trails in the MD/DC area. No commuting, no need to mix with heavy vehicular traffic. "

I think that the spec on the Haibike 2.0 or 3.0 would be more than enough to meet these requirements, on a bike which is well designed and with good parts integration.

Now I love to spend another person's money as well as the next guy, but for the stated purpose I think that something more expensive doesn't fit the OP's needs any better. I've got an AllMtn 2.0 and I'm virtually of the same dimensions as the OP (I'm 6'4"/250#). My 2.0 'hauls the baggage' around just great. Much more of a 'stable' ride than a 'lively' ride, but I'm not rippin' singletrack at my age. I like a trail bike with good stability on the downhill sections, and nice assist on the uphill ones.

From OP's OP:

"I'm looking for a bike capable of all-around riding. From urban streets to light woodland trails. I have no desire to be hammering downhills or scaling rocky ledges. Most riding is probably going to be with my 11 year old son, who currently has a Specialized fat-tire Riprock. The rest would likely be for exercise, on suburban streets and various trails in the MD/DC area. No commuting, no need to mix with heavy vehicular traffic. "
I think that the spec on the Haibike 2.0 or 3.0 would be more than enough to meet these requirements, on a bike which is well designed and with good parts integration. Now I love to spend another person's money as well as the next guy, but for the stated purpose I think that something more expensive doesn't fit the OP's needs any better. I've got an AllMtn 2.0 and I'm virtually of the same dimensions as the OP (I'm 6'4"/250#). My 2.0 'hauls the baggage' around just great. Much more of a 'stable' ride than a 'lively' ride, but I'm not rippin' singletrack at my age. I like a trail bike with good stability on the downhill sections, and nice assist on the uphill ones.

Good points all around... but it's so easy to spend OPM. ;)

Last edited:
From OP's OP:

I think that the spec on the Haibike 2.0 or 3.0 would be more than enough to meet these requirements, on a bike which is well designed and with good parts integration.

Now I love to spend another person's money as well as the next guy, but for the stated purpose I think that something more expensive doesn't fit the OP's needs any better. I've got an AllMtn 2.0 and I'm virtually of the same dimensions as the OP (I'm 6'4"/250#). My 2.0 'hauls the baggage' around just great. Much more of a 'stable' ride than a 'lively' ride, but I'm not rippin' singletrack at my age. I like a trail bike with good stability on the downhill sections, and nice assist on the uphill ones.
When I settled on the 10.0 Full Seven Sduro, it was much more bike than I needed, however, after riding a lower end Haibike, the 10.0 was entirely a different riding experience. It felt like I went from a Volkswagen Rabbit, to a Porche Boxster 986, with no exaggeration. In addition, the EOY pricing just sealed the deal. I know now that this was the bike for me. It is all about "try before you buy" before making your final decision.

Well, many things have changed since I read this thread for the last time really. I was ready to buy the Specialized Turbo Levo Comp in May -- and none were available in my region. Following the @Browneye's example, I looked to the Giant e-MTB. I discovered Giant were making high quality e-MTBs at reasonable price (far lower than the Specialized). My needs were similar to the OP's. What I found was:
  • Fathom E+ - The most basic e-MTB, cheaply specced and not to be considered by me
  • Stance E+ - The proper Cross Country (XC) e-MTB, close to the OP needs
    • regular: with SyncDrive Sport motor (all SyncDrives are Yamaha), 27.5" wheels with fat 2.6" tyres
    • Pro 29: with the powerful SyncDrive Pro motor and 29x2.4" tyres
  • Trance E+ Pro - The performance Trail e-MTB (more than XC) with the SyncDrive Pro motor, 27x2.6" tyres. This product line would probably exceed the OP's needs.
  • Reign E+ Pro - The performance Enduro e-MTB (more than Trail), far exceeding the OP needs.
Now, the Giant models are numbered the way the "0" stands for top of the line, "1" has more moderate specification, "2" is even more reasonable specced. The major differences within a product line are the quality of the suspension fork, the rear suspension and of components such a drive-train or brakes used.

Now, I had looked into the Stance E+ and the Trance E+. My final choice was the Trance E+ 2 Pro (only the 1 and 3 models are currently available in the U.S.) because I liked it very much and could afford it. I got an e-MTB that seemingly exceeded my needs but that's a beautiful and meticulously designed e-bike. I'm not afraid to ride in any terrain.

Here is the appropriate U.S. Website page:

and here is my Trance:
1590733082795.png

1590733171744.png

When I settled on the 10.0 Full Seven Sduro, it was much more bike than I needed, however, after riding a lower end Haibike, the 10.0 was entirely a different riding experience. It felt like I went from a Volkswagen Rabbit, to a Porche Boxster 986, with no exaggeration. In addition, the EOY pricing just sealed the deal. I know now that this was the bike for me. It is all about "try before you buy" before making your final decision.
Which Haibike were you riding before?

Haibike's product line naming/structure is.... unclear as to how things progress.

... on a bike which is well designed and with good parts integration.

This is an important point for me. I don't want to spend at a lower price point and then discover the need to have to piecemeal upgrade this and that. There's a balance to be struck between complete overkill ($$$$) and under-shooting the mark and having to upgrade ($$ and then more $$$$ than the overkill purchase would have been).

... It felt like I went from a Volkswagen Rabbit, to a Porche Boxster 986, with no exaggeration

Heh, my previous mountain bike was hardtail Porsche Bike S, which I believe was made by Votec.. My daily driver is a Cayenne GTS. The purchase of which was driven by striking a balance between 440 HP for one stupidly expensive price or upping to a Turbo S with 550 HP for an option add-on of sixty-five-THOUSAND dollars more. I have zero regrets as there's nothing the GTS provides that falls short of my expectations. I'm not unafraid to spend the money, I'd just prefer to slot-in at the right point.

So I'm fine with an aluminum frame, because the weight-savings for carbon fiber isn't going to come close overcoming the bigger weight issue: my fat ass in the saddle.

But solid components to stop it, pull hard through the drivetrain, etc, those are important and typically start the price tier upgrades.

Back