Where's Pushkar?

Well, hiring a new employee IS a BIG thing, for a small business. When it's just you, labor laws mean diddly squat. As soon as you hire someone, you need a break policy, a lunch policy, a bunch of other policies, and you MUST enforce them. You have to set up a giant bulletin board to hold all the required notices to employees. And you just took on a whole buttload of new work, to make sure that you are recording things correctly and paying all the taxes for that employee. When a business gets large enough to have an HR person to write and administer those policies, and an accountant to handle the taxes, hiring another person isn't as bad. However, that HR person and the accountant are making good bucks and not contributing directly to your bottom line. Yet another hidden tax. Here is CA you MUST give lunches and breaks at the right time. You cannot allow the employee(s) to take them when they want, and you must force them to take the breaks. No working through and leaving early. Many businesses force the employees to leave the premises during lunch breaks, so that they cannot be accused of making the employee work on their break. Ever been sitting at lunch at work and have a customer ask you a question? If you answer it, it's a labor law violation for the business, and if you refuse, you get a pissed off customer. The solution is to make the employees leave. It sucks, but them's the rules.
It's not good when you don't have flexibility, I have skipped my breaks most of my working life, and extended my lunch break to an hour, most places only give 1/2hr and 2X15.
I found that those 15m breaks are more for either people working really hard physical jobs or for smokers and vapers, if I am sitting at my desk and I am allowed to eat and drink at it, I don't really need a 15 minute break anyways.
Thankfully my job allows for maximum flexibility for all lunches and breaks. I guess if you are in an area where owners keep abusing a basic honor system you have to put in hard rules, which actually sucks for both sides.

Last edited:
I had to go back and look for the details of the case about which I wrote. Here:

Perhaps even crazier, we recently were forced to institute an HR policy in California that working through lunch is a firing offense. One warning, then you are gone. Why? California has a crazy law that allows employees to collect substantial ex post facto compensation if they claim they were denied a 10 minute break every four hours or a thirty minute unpaid lunch break after five. Suffice it to say we have spent years honestly trying to comply with this law. The 10-minute break portion is less of a compliance hurdle, but the lunch break portion has caused us no end of trouble. Theoretically, under the law, the employee has a choice - work through lunch paid, eating at the job post (e.g. in a gatehouse of a campground) or leave the job post for 30 minutes for an unpaid lunch break. As background, every one of our employees have always begged to have the paid lunch because they are from a poorer area and need the extra 30 minutes of pay.

Unfortunately, it does not matter what preferences the employee expressed on the job site. In the future, the employee can go to the labor department and claim he or she did not get their break, and even if they did not want it at the time, and never complained to the employer about not getting it, the employer always, always, always loses a he-said-she-said disagreement in a California Court or review board. Always. Sure, it takes someone utterly without honor to make this claim in Court, but there seems to be no shortage of those. So, we took a series of approaches to getting people on-paper, on-the-record as having asked to work through lunch. Unfortunately, one court case after another has demolished each safe harbor we thought we had.

A few weeks ago I was advised by a senior case-worker at the California Department of Labor that the only safe harbor left for employers is to FORCE employees to take an unpaid lunch. This means they clock in and back out, this means they have to leave the job site (because if a customer happens to ask them a question, then they are "working"), and this means we have to ruthlessly enforce it. Or we are liable for scads of penalties. So, we find ourselves at the bizarre crossroads of making working through lunch a firing offense, and employees who generally want to work an extra thirty minutes each day to earn more money are not allowed to do so. Yet another example of laws that are supposed to be "empowering" to employees actually ending up limiting their choices.

Labor Code 512 applies to only non-exempt employees. Lots of other exceptions as well.

Definitely. The employees in question were exempt, being hourly and not salaried.

But this thread has wandered off-topic, mostly due to me. Wrong forum for that; I'll stop now.

TForan, the $12K is for two bikes and shipping to Canada.

The only reason I'm worried is Pushkar, over the last 14 months, has always answered my pm's or emails within a day or two, and usually the same day.
Where abouts? I'm waiting for my Hydra in Vancouver

Aye Rome in da "Hale". House in Hawaii language.

Pushkar, Onlineaddy want his money to buy the ZEN Ebike from Ravi.

I got my deposit from Wattwagons
Thanks very much.

I'm still waiting for WW2 Lab motors to be available for purchase.
Howzit Rome,

After all the disrespectful stuff you said about Pushkar and Watt Wagons and the one star review you left for him on Google why would you want to buy something more from him and why do you think Pushkar would sell anything more to you.
just saying
Gary

Have you checked the google reviews? 1/2 of them are from people whose only other reviews are in India. Either WW has been exporting a ton of bikes to India or the reviews are as fake as the timeframes, but I am sure that is how all well-run companies handle their online presence. lol

Howzit Rome,
Sometimes posters are more enjoyable if they’re ignored. My dealings with pushkar were great. A tough time to have started a business. Brutal tariffs and insane shipping times. And it’s not over. Back orders for bikes are in the tens of thousands. Components are still a struggle.

Sometimes posters are more enjoyable if they’re ignored. My dealings with pushkar were great. A tough time to have started a business. Brutal tariffs and insane shipping times. And it’s not over. Back orders for bikes are in the tens of thousands. Components are still a struggle.
yep very bad timing and trying to do too much without good planning.

Back