Where do you keep your battery when it’s not on your ebike?

Dallant

Region
USA
Where do you keep it?
I remove my battery every day when done with my ride, whether I am charging it or not. Given the potential volatility of the battery, I keep mine on the tile floor in the family room. That way, in the unlikely event that the li-on battery should ignite, it’s nowhere near a combustible item. Am I being overly cautious?

I think so...

Unless there some sort of weather extreme, or a chance it might get wet, my batteries stay put, installed on the bike.

My battery is part of the downtube. The only time I take it off is to re-seat it if it loses connection on a bumpy ride, and that's just for a few seconds.

I’ve never heard of an ebike li-on battery starting on fire but it’s a just-in-case precaution.

Have you watched a video of a battery pack fire? Once the plastic case melts, the chemical reaction spits the cells out and they fly around. Storing on floor will allow the burning cells to fly around the room and catch everything in that room on fire. If you’re really concerned, you need to put it in something like a steel ammo case, or container designed to contain the battery. I leave mine on the bikes in the basement.

Last edited:
Have you watched a video of a battery pack fire? Once the plastic case melts, the chemical reaction spits the cells out and they fly around. Storing on floor will allow the burning cells to fly around the room and catch everything in that room on fire. If you’re really concerned, you need to put it in something like a steel ammo case, or container designed to contain the battery. I leave mine on the bikes in the basement.
or don't buy cheap batteries thats a better solution. I don't think my bosch battery is going to catch fire.

~9 months out of the year our batteries are on the bikes in the detached shop. For cold weather, they come inside after being charged outside. If we won't be riding for a bit (snow, etc) I try to get them to ~50% charge before bringing them in.

It’s a good point. I do have it on the tile floor some feet away from other combustible items but not in a fire proof container. It’s exactly that kind of volatile fire that concerns me. I would certainly hope my Bosch wouldn’t do this but you just never know.

I bring my Sport battery in my home office for now (when it is 118 outside) and leave my XP battery in the bike. My garage is well insulated with an exhaust fan so when it's 118 outside, it's maybe only 100 in the garage...

I remove my battery after every ride, 90+ degrees and 90+ humidity in my garage is not a battery friendly environment. I used to fly a drone commercially and always kept all the batteries in a Li-Po fireproof bag, but I have not been able to find a fireproof bag large enough for my eBike battery, so I just put it on the counter in our laundry room. I was worried at first, but then I thought about all the things in our home with Li-Po batteries: cell phones, cordless phones, laptops, remote controls, iPods, headphones, earbuds, cameras, vacuum cleaners, etc.

On the kitchen table next to the salt and pepper shakers! 🤣

1599927231027.png

Last edited:
I remove my battery after every ride, 90+ degrees and 90+ humidity in my garage is not a battery friendly environment. I used to fly a drone commercially and always kept all the batteries in a Li-Po fireproof bag, but I have not been able to find a fireproof bag large enough for my eBike battery, so I just put it on the counter in our laundry room. I was worried at first, but then I thought about all the things in our home with Li-Po batteries: cell phones, cordless phones, laptops, remote controls, iPods, headphones, earbuds, cameras, vacuum cleaners, etc.
Ok, it’s been a while and, with the colder weather slowing my ride frequency, I finally put a simple and, hopefully, fire resistant plan in action for in-house storage this winter. I know there are some who think it foolish but having been a volunteer photographer of a Fire Department for three years, I take fire very seriously. This is not to prevent a fire but it is to hopefully contain a battery fire long enough to get us or it out of the house safely.
First, I got a metal tool box just long enough to fit both PowerTube batteries. Then, I got a fiberglass mat fire blanket and wrapped one battery in it and placed it in the bottom of the box. Then, I put the other battery in the box wrapped in the other half of the fire blanket. The tool box is very close to a smoke detector and will be on a tile floor. We also have another fire blanket close to it.
Obviously no way to test this but the local Fire Marshal acquaintance thought it sounded like a good plan. Hopefully we never have a fire to find out!
53B3A952-6A97-4B9D-9CC3-D571B379C305.jpeg
1679E76B-E65C-440D-8731-7A5C9EC9D0DC.jpeg
DB71A0D5-23DB-4B62-BC73-A0410172F934.jpeg

Where do you keep it?
I remove my battery every day when done with my ride, whether I am charging it or not. Given the potential volatility of the battery, I keep mine on the tile floor in the family room. That way, in the unlikely event that the li-on battery should ignite, it’s nowhere near a combustible item. Am I being overly cautious?
Golly, I hope so. There´s all lotta batteries out there. I haven´t heard much lately about such ignitions. Mine always feel cold to the touch.
My batteries are on the cot behind my desk. I rotate charges.

The first winter we had our ebikes, I brought them in, and we took a battery when we wanted to ride a bike. At that time, I kept them lined up on a raised fireplace hearth (the fireplace was not being used) that is close to the garage where the bikes are stored.

That Spring, we set up charging areas in the garage, so we keep them on the bikes, and did so last Winter and plan to do the same this Winter. It gets in the 30's sometimes, but not colder than that. Our batteries are all still doing awesome, four months into our third year of owning the bikes. :)

A battery fire is is called deflagation. If you enclose it, especially in anything close to air tight, a deflagation can propagate to detonation. So, unless you want pieces of ammo box or tool box imbedded in you, I suggest you leave it in the open.

A battery fire is is called deflagation. If you enclose it, especially in anything close to air tight, a deflagation can propagate to detonation. So, unless you want pieces of ammo box or tool box imbedded in you, I suggest you leave it in the open.
The tool box has a number of good-sized openings on top and bottom and there is no seal of any kind. I could make a good argument that an uncontained li-on battery deflagration can spread sparks/flame all over the place.

Back