When was the last time you rode an acoustic bike?

Today, I took my Trek CrossRip Elite out for a ride. One thing I'm noticing besides going way slower, is that even though it's super cold outside, I actually sweat on a pedal only bike. Tomorrow it's back to the e-bike. The other thing that I noticed is that, riding the e-bike so much has gotten me into "road bike shape" mid-winter instead of mid-spring. That's pretty cool! For me, I think the best blend is a mixture of e-bike and pedal only. Whatever it takes to get outside and move!

My Raleigh Matterhorn sits forloanly in the corner of my bedroom since I got my Voltbike Bravo last Aug. I planned on still riding it but I believe it is dealing with abbandonment issues these days...

My Raleigh Matterhorn sits forloanly in the corner of my bedroom since I got my Voltbike Bravo last Aug. I planned on still riding it but I believe it is dealing with abbandonment issues these days...

Same here. My Trek FX was sitting alone, feeling lonely while I was out zipping around on the ebike. So I purchased another bike to keep it company; purchased an ebike of course. With 3 bikes, 2 are keeping each other company while the 3rd one is in use.
When I tell hubby this reason for justifying the 3rd bike (2nd ebike) he simply rolls his eyes.

I rode 25 miles on my Bianchi this past Sunday, still enjoy it but always come back these days with neck pain that takes a couple of days to subside .
And when the wind is blowing I prefer to be on the ebike, so I guess I only ride the road bikes when its ideal conditions

Yesterday, as a matter of fact and plan to ride them again soon. I still enjoy my human-powered bikes (I refuse to use the term 'acoustic bike') a great deal.

Agreed, acoustic is just weird.
I prefer non-powered.

My weight weenie road bikes have now become indoor wall art... ;)

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance but why are non-ebikes called acoustic?
Think musical instruments here...Guitar in particular.

Electric/Acoustic.

That's where the descriptions should stay though IMO. It's just dumb to call a regular pedal bike an 'acoustic' bike

In Feb. Put about 50 miles on my Spot Champa including 1 day commuting. Avg speed on that 20 mile commute without power was 11.5 mph whereas my avg speed on my commute yesterday on the Class 3 Trek Allant 9.9s was 15.7 mph and today's commute on class 3 R&M was 16.8 mph.

Okay, let's ditch acoustic. I saw it written in a number of places on this forum and thought that was what people here said. Regular pedal bike is what I actually say. Either way, after riding my e-bike exclusively for 3 months, I rode my 29'r mountain bike and my gravel bike Sunday and Monday for the first time since August. This morning I was late for work and took the e-bike. I put it into mid-range power assist. Not low, not high, just in the middle. It was like magic. Got to work 5 minutes early. Pulled my insulated coffee cup from my pannier and stood outside for two minutes to soak in the bliss.

My non-assisted mountain bike still gets plenty of regular use, and I have no plans to go electric for dirt riding anytime soon. But my beautiful old school touring bike just sits in teh garage unused. I don't see ever going back to anything but another e-bike for the street.

Yesterday! My e-bike is for transportation (and fun), my non-electric mountain bike is for exercise (and fun). Yesterday I did 14 miles on mountain dirt roads as training for a 3-day trip coming up in April. Today I used my e-bike to get to the river trail for a run, and back home again, and then in the afternoon rode it to the college for my caucus.

Bikes are fun, either way.

I go on two or three weekly rides with a bunch of roadies of a similar age. I normally ride my ebike. One of the riders, a triathelete who has a top end Trek Domane carbon fiber bike with Di2 shifting that weighs all of 18 lbs. He was curious about my R&M Delight Mountain with road tires and a derestricted CX Bosch motor and I was curious as to how well riding an ebike almost every day had conditioned me. We traded bike for a 32 mile ride. He blasted ahead of the group sprinting at 30+ mph and having a blast. I had to work hard to stay with the group at an average speed of 17 mph, moving my 220 pound carcass, with about 800 feet of ascent over the 32 miles, but keep up I did. Two years ago I never would have imagined that I could have done such a thing. I still would rather ride my ebike and control my exertion level but at least now I know what I can do without assist, if I have to.

17mph average over 32 miles! I don't think you need an ebike anymore. I wonder what the average heart rate was.

My average heart rate during that ride was around 125 -130. I do take a beta blocker which keeps it down.

Good figures Alaskan. Now how much were you taking a draft? I would have been stuck to someone's back wheel for the whole ride.

Back