Rode my acoustic today.

if you're used to a heavy e-bike, a really light analog road bike (with light wheels and tires and all that) feels like an e-bike with the motor on just a tiny bit starting out and climbing. it's just so easy and responsive. at steady speeds in a straight line, the difference isn't as noticeable because weight doesn't mean much. but going around a corner, uphill, starting, stopping, it feels like flying by comparison. i still love my ebikes but that flying feeling on a lightweight bike is something else.

i have set up my road bike and e-road bike almost exactly the same; the creo (e-bike) is slightly longer and a tiny bit higher in front... but they have very similar tires (30 vs 32mm GP5000), very similar wheels (a bit wider on the creo), the same cockpit and saddle, the same pedals, and nearly identical gearing at the low end for climbing. the acoustic bike weighs about 14lb, the e-bike around 28 or maybe 29lb. both incredible bikes, but i really don't ride the creo much any more on paved roads. for crazy steep gravel stuff it's still my tool of choice - my heart can't deal with 20%+ grades off road, especially if it's warm out.

View attachment 134039
Around 14 pounds....that's one light bike! What brand/model is it? I can't see a brand label in the photo.

I rode one of my acoustic bikes today. We are supposed to get some snow later this week, but right now, the roads are clean and clear. We got up into the mid 40s today. I might take the ebike out tomorrow. It’s supposed to get up to 49. I have never seen the Connecticut River open in February before. It’s been a relatively mild winter in Northern New England.

7FCDE085-92A2-4202-9B98-A76AB63FBE6C.jpeg
194C34DD-54AC-4FAF-BFEE-C611D528AF5A.jpeg

I rode one of my acoustic bikes today. We are supposed to get some snow later this week, but right now, the roads are clean and clear. We got up into the mid 40s today. I might take the ebike out tomorrow. It’s supposed to get up to 49. I have never seen the Connecticut River open in February before. It’s been a relatively mild winter in Northern New England.

View attachment 147321View attachment 147322
Lucky you. I’d kill for some clean and clear roads for an unadulterated acoustic ride. It's been snowing off and on for the past 24 hrs and looks like more on the way tomorrow.

Lucky you. I’d kill for some clean and clear roads for an unadulterated acoustic ride. It's been snowing off and on for the past 24 hrs and looks like more on the way tomorrow.
I'd say, "Move to Vancouver Island," but we're full. 😀

Hit 9 degrees C here yesterday on my group ride.

I have a Giant Defy road bike that's presently set up on my indoor smart trainer. I've been wanting to ride it on the road, but it doesn't have fenders and I don't want to go through the hassle of cleaning it after the ride so it can be put back on the trainer.
I am looking at another acoustic bike (used titanium road bike), which comes with fenders. Just what I need.....another bike. 🙃

I'd say, "Move to Vancouver Island," but we're full. 😀

Hit 9 degrees C here yesterday on my group ride.

I have a Giant Defy road bike that's presently set up on my indoor smart trainer. I've been wanting to ride it on the road, but it doesn't have fenders and I don't want to go through the hassle of cleaning it after the ride so it can be put back on the trainer.
I am looking at another acoustic bike (used titanium road bike), which comes with fenders. Just what I need.....another bike. 🙃
Seems like that’s the place many dream of moving to but the Maritimes are also high on the list.

Couldn’t you slap on a set of SKS Raceblades/speedrockers? Would do you in a pinch but seeing that you have another ride in the works equipped with fenders……..;)

I actual have a set of SKS speedrockers for the bike.
Looks like I'm going to pass on the titanium bike, as it has a very limited clearance for tires wider than 25mm, so I guess I'll have to do a deep dive for the speedrockers.
I know I put them somewhere....

Road my Trek acoustic bike today. The good thing about the acoustic, it’s lightweight compared to my Trek Verve+3. It also has a front suspension fork, which softens the ride a little.

I think my expectations were to high. I think because it weighs less I thought it would pedal like a dream. There isn’t that much difference between it and my e bike turned off. Instead it just reinforced how great e bikes are. The hills weren’t really that bad but I was so slow on them. The ride was 6 miles with 200 feet of elevation gain and my average speed was 10.1 mph, which is pretty slow. On my e bike I average closer to 14 mph. If your thinking about breaking out your old acoustic, don’t unless your a glutton for punishment.
View attachment 133866
I have the same bike but a girls version that was dumped on my front porch. After looking for the owner it became a free bike. Sitting out rusting since the Luna came.

When the renters next door moved out in 2020, they left this item in their trash heap on the curb.

IMG_1145.JPG

A Peugeot, made in France. I rolled it home on the flat tires, aired them up, took some pics and sold it in a few hours on CL. It was nice for its age, however I was plenty happy with my Trek Pure so I wasn't tempted to keep it.

This minty 970 rigid saw me through my first winter here. Part of me didn’t want to see it leave the fold but I had no room for it. I ended up selling it to a fellow who planned to use it for his commute to work. He was bike nerd like many here and I had no doubt that he would keep it in tip top shape.

IMG_20201027_1233587.jpg

IMG_20201115_1107130.jpg

For various reasons, mainly because my wife has been unable to ride with me. I've been off my ebikes since June 1. Been riding my GT Transeo, a 30-33 lb hybrid. Working on getting my fitness back. It's not easy when you were born in the 1940's. FIrst rides were 8 miles. about an hour. Now I can do 20 miles. Almost 300 miles in my logbook now. It tells me that prior to ebikes, I probably didn't ride more than 200 miles in a summer.
IMG_3851.JPEG

Haven't stood up to crest a hill since I was a teenager. That's what I have to do now. Otherwise, I'd slow down to 5 mph at the summit.
Being retired with nothing else to do besides suck at golf, I've been trying to get at least a 7 mile ride in on a semi-daily basis. Then I might take an ebike out later. My wife wants to get out on her bike again, so we'll see if I keep riding the blue bike,.

I actually sold my acoustic I showed in the original post for $75. I wasn’t riding it and it was just taking up space. Glad to see it go and I hope the new owner is using it.

Gave my last acoustic — a seldom-used 1985 StumpJumper bought in Marin County, CA in the early days of MTBing — to a neighbor when we moved in 2022. Very heavy by current MTB standards, but only half as heavy as my hybrid ebike.

Lots of great memories of riding in Marin on that bike!

Last edited:
For various reasons, mainly because my wife has been unable to ride with me. I've been off my ebikes since June 1. Been riding my GT Transeo, a 30-33 lb hybrid. Working on getting my fitness back. It's not easy when you were born in the 1940's. FIrst rides were 8 miles. about an hour. Now I can do 20 miles. Almost 300 miles in my logbook now. It tells me that prior to ebikes, I probably didn't ride more than 200 miles in a summer.
View attachment 158111

Haven't stood up to crest a hill since I was a teenager. That's what I have to do now. Otherwise, I'd slow down to 5 mph at the summit.
Being retired with nothing else to do besides suck at golf, I've been trying to get at least a 7 mile ride in on a semi-daily basis. Then I might take an ebike out later. My wife wants to get out on her bike again, so we'll see if I keep riding the blue bike,.
In addition to riding, I now play pickleball 2-3 times per week and I occasionally walk (typically about 45 minutes). If you have any pickleball courts near you, I suggest trying the sport. It's fun, good exercise, and rather addictive. There are an 80 year old and a 90 year old who also play where I do, and they are both very capable players. I'm in my mid 60s, and the 80 year old guy is at least as spry as I am; the 90 year old has some neuropathy and is stiffer, but he still outplays me.

After spending the past several months REALLY ENJOYING riding my new single-speed acoustic bike, actually just got a new acoustic bike - a Canyon hybrid with gears! The single-speed for 4000+ ft elevation gain rides were a bit much.

But still mainly riding the single-speed acoustic, geared acoustic for lots of hills and club rides, and then the single-speed e-bike for recovery days or rides to breakfast with my SO :)

In addition to riding, I now play pickleball 2-3 times per week and I occasionally walk (typically about 45 minutes). If you have any pickleball courts near you, I suggest trying the sport. It's fun, good exercise, and rather addictive. There are an 80 year old and a 90 year old who also play where I do, and they are both very capable players. I'm in my mid 60s, and the 80 year old guy is at least as spry as I am; the 90 year old has some neuropathy and is stiffer, but he still outplays me.
I would play the pickleball but I broke my right collar bone 30+ years ago. It's still broken, the cause a 20+ mph bicycle wreck. I could try lefty, but that would be a steep learning curve.

I have too many bicycles as it is but I would like to try a full carbon lightweight bike.
1689432790806.png
This one keeps catching my eye, full carbon, $1200. Specs almost same geometry as Specialized Diverge E5.
But I seem to be riding less and less this summer because there is a lot to do besides riding a bicycle, even though I love riding.

I have too many bicycles as it is but I would like to try a full carbon lightweight bike.
View attachment 158163
This one keeps catching my eye, full carbon, $1200. Specs almost same geometry as Specialized Diverge E5.
But I seem to be riding less and less this summer because there is a lot to do besides riding a bicycle, even though I love riding.

Not all carbon frames are good, or even safe. There is a lot of science and testing that goes into the design and manufacture of a carbon frame. Sometimes taking a chance on a bargain bike can cost more in the end, (and be dangerous).

I still ride my Wilier Carbon road bike and my Canyon Grizl CF carbon gravel bike. They both handle and perform well and I never doubt their integrity. Canyon sells direct and their prices are very good. Their bikes are world class too. You can get a Canyon Grizl CF6 for about $2000.00.

“Buyer beware” and “if it seems too good to be true, it isn’t” comes to mind when I see a Carbon bike for $1200.

Back