Rode my acoustic today.

For a better reference, I remember that the initial explosion shook our house loud enough to wake me on a Sunday morning. Our house was in Everett, WA about 150 miles from the volcano.

It is interesting to note a couple of things about the eruption:

Most of the people killed were in areas thought to be "safe".

If the blast would have been directed to the S or SW rather than to the N there could have been thousands of deaths.

If the blast would have happened on a weekday rather than a Sunday there would have been hundreds of loggers working in the woods that were devastated that day. And again far more people would have died.

So all in all we got off lightly, at least in terms of casualties.
I am about 60 miles north of Everett, and we heard/felt the blast that morning. Wondered "Who is blasting in the Chuckanuts (range of small mountains south of Bellingham), and why?" We were lucky and got no ash, or at least very little. Last year, we drove up to the overlook area in our Rialta. The road is terrible, as they obviously were in great haste when they built it, and everywhere they had to cross a ravine, they didn't bother to settle and compress the fill, but just paved over it, so of course it sagged badly after 40 years.

Nice pics! What brand and model is the Saddle shown on the bike in the pictures?
Thanks.
It's a Planet Bike ARS "Standard". I have them on a couple bikes, it's my overall favorite bike seat, not the lightest but it is comfortable for me, both in drops and sitting upright.

I am about 60 miles north of Everett, and we heard/felt the blast that morning. Wondered "Who is blasting in the Chuckanuts (range of small mountains south of Bellingham), and why?" We were lucky and got no ash, or at least very little. Last year, we drove up to the overlook area in our Rialta. The road is terrible, as they obviously were in great haste when they built it, and everywhere they had to cross a ravine, they didn't bother to settle and compress the fill, but just paved over it, so of course it sagged badly after 40 years.
As you probably know Johnston Ridge observatory is unreachable due to a slide but Windy Ridge on the northeast side is a nice spot. The forest service roads aren't always in the best shape but it's worth a drive.
Pictures from 6 or7 years ago when I rode a scooter up there, probably late in the summer.
DSCF1549.JPG
DSCF1527.JPG
DSCF1537.JPG
DSCF1563.JPG

Last edited:
As you probably know Johnston Ridge observatory is unreachable due to a slide but Windy Ridge on the northeast side is a nice spot. The forest service roads aren't always in the best shape but it's worth a drive.
Pictures from 6 or7 years ago when I rode a scooter up there, probably late in the summer.View attachment 158317View attachment 158318View attachment 158319View attachment 158320
Yes, it was the Windy Ridge road that we were on. It's interesting to see the raft of driftwood from the trees that were blown down on the lake. It appears that the raft moves around the lake depending on which way the wind blows.

In contrast to the OP, I bought an Aethos and enjoyed riding it so much more that I ended up selling my Creo. I no longer have an electric bike, and while some days I wish I had the motor, overall I'm very happy with the Aethos.

It has a ride quality that the Creo can't touch. Although the Creo is responsive for an ebike as it's one of the lighter ones around, it still weighs roughly double what my Aethos does and just can't match the ride quality.

Yes, hills are obviously significantly harder on the Aethos, but I've adapted. I do envision getting another ebike in the future, but for now the Aethos is all I need for the road, and my Rocky Mountain for the trails.

I've taken both the motors off the Yuba bodaboda and am pedaling myself now. The state is paving hwy 3 to my summer camp, which means 108" lanes and equipment, holes, and disaster outside the cones. I was passed in a 108" lane that was only 100' long on hwy 3 in 2021, so trucks have no conscience. Riding a construction zone is a good way to die now. The back road around Hwy 3 has 27 more hills, and I burned a 350 watt bafang motor on the 7th hill last year. I have 2 more 350 watt motors I paid $36 each for, but I have taken them off as too feeble. I tried to buy a 500 w motor from China, after 5 weeks I received it but when I measured the spokes were only available from China and it has been 5 more weeks so far waiting. Bought another motor in a wheel off ebay from 40 miles up the road 2 weeks ago, a 1000 w Mac11t; Although it looks squeaky new, I got 30' out of it before it started groaning & dragging. Controller works fine with the bafang motor, so to the dump with it.
Rode the bike pedal powered to the wife's house to deliver a birthday flower yesterday. 8 miles. Air quality alert for Canadian forest smoke, but it didn't ruin me. Rode to the discount center pedal powered 8 miles last Thursday. To the flea market for tools Saturday, 8 miles. I'm going shopping tomorrow pedal powered, 8 miles. Hope the new spokes due Aug 8 fit; if not it will be another 6 week wait from China. Amazon said they have some, but location was xpgmrp, which could probably be China. Why spend $14 shipping from Amazon to take just as long?
Before covid I could pedal myself to summer camp in 3.6 hours without power, but Covid really damaged my lungs. Plus the last year the rear derailleur has refused to shift. Replaced the derailleur takeup, (SRAM X3), cable (jaguar slick stainless), cable housing (jaguar), No movement down from speed 4. Took cable out 2 weeks ago, lubricated it, shortened the housing 18", made a bracket to stop the housing 14" from the derailleur takeup, straightened a cable kink around the 2 leg stand by drilling through it, still could not downshift. Hasn't upshifted for a year and a half, cable just goes slack. Shortened the chain to try to get more spring force to make it upshift. Nothing. @)*&%^ Won't down or upshift. I have 2 speeds, 32:18 and 42:18 using the front derailleur. 32:18 won't get me up the 12% hills out north of Charlestown without power. I was really panting yesterday up some 6% grades on the way to the wife's house.

Last edited:
In contrast to the OP, I bought an Aethos and enjoyed riding it so much more that I ended up selling my Creo. I no longer have an electric bike, and while some days I wish I had the motor, overall I'm very happy with the Aethos.

It has a ride quality that the Creo can't touch. Although the Creo is responsive for an ebike as it's one of the lighter ones around, it still weighs roughly double what my Aethos does and just can't match the ride quality.

Yes, hills are obviously significantly harder on the Aethos, but I've adapted. I do envision getting another ebike in the future, but for now the Aethos is all I need for the road, and my Rocky Mountain for the trails.
I still can’t justify another bike, but that Aethos sure looks sweet. Will likely keep my single speed e-bike (Ride1UP Roadster v2) forever, since it is such a great design. But mostly riding my acoustic bikes these days, and even in process of adding a power meter to my Canyon.

Guessing in the Gorge somewhere - but where??? Dog Mt? Just hiked Eagle Creek last week. Was hard to see the devastation but Punch Bowl still is magical if you just look down.
Right, Dog Mtn. I've been up it a few times as recently as 2 weeks ago but this is the first time I've taken the Augspurger trail up. Very scenic, especially the Augspurger to Dog mtn trail connector near the top - picture taken from a lunch spot on the connector. When my son was in town a couple weeks ago we did Silverstar, triple falls, dog mtn, Mt St Helens (I couldn't keep up with my son and a friend on the longer wormflows trail from marble mtn snow park so I went solo last Wednesday on the ptarmigan trail because climbers bivouac was open by then Couple miles shorter route and 1200 ft less elevation gain). Lots of great spots to hike fairly close to home.

Last edited:
So thats why I woke up wheezing and congested this morning, the Canadian brush fires it was really thick yesterday.They must be sizeable polluting the air all the way down here.Thinking about hitting the "eastern Trail" this morning, maybe I will wait. probably won't wife comes back today.
Good grief Guys, I priced the bikes you all mentioned, is there anything under $500 thats at least a contender?

Back