Wheel stuck

farrsy

Region
Australia
Hi. Think this is going to show my ignorance but here goes. I'm trying to hook up my 3000watt rear hub motor and have connected the red and black leads
from battery to control box, plus the yellow, green, blue cables from hub to control box. Then the power button and display. Then the throttle. BUT.......
Turn the throttle and the wheel moves and inch then stops as if hitting resistance. The wheel spins freely when turned by hand.
What am I missing? Any suggestions would by hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Hi. Think this is going to show my ignorance but here goes. I'm trying to hook up my 3000watt rear hub motor and have connected the red and black leads
from battery to control box, plus the yellow, green, blue cables from hub to control box. Then the power button and display. Then the throttle. BUT.......
Turn the throttle and the wheel moves and inch then stops as if hitting resistance. The wheel spins freely when turned by hand.
What am I missing? Any suggestions would by hugely appreciated. Thanks.
Double check the yellow green and blue wires are connected properly. Sounds like your phase may be out of proper sequence.
It could also be a bad hall sensor (check it by positioning the wheel in a different location and see if you get more movement.)

Last edited:
Were the motor and controller part of the same kit, or purchased separately? Three heavy wires, blue, green, and yellow to motor. Five thinner wires to motor, red, black, yellow, green, blue? Matched color to color? Seems like I often get yellow and green mixed.

Double check the yellow green and blue wires are connected properly. Sounds like your phase may be out of proper sequence.
It could also be a bad hall sensor (check it by positioning the wheel in a different location and see if you get more movement.)
Thanks so much for the response, so soon! You sound like you know what you're talking about, unlike me. I'll try what you suggested and your language has given me
a direction to pursue if that doesn't work. Thanks again.

Were the motor and controller part of the same kit, or purchased separately? Three heavy wires, blue, green, and yellow to motor. Five thinner wires to motor, red, black, yellow, green, blue? Matched color to color? Seems like I often get yellow and green mixed.
Hi Harry. Thanks for responding. I believe it was all part of the same kit (I believe....). Yep, blue, green and yellow to motor and a plug containing 6 thin wires, black, red, yellow, blue, green white with a 'spare' identical plug too. The corresponding plug on the controller has only 5 wires (no white). I think I read that mixing up the yellow and green would just make it go backward???

Well I'll be buggered! After trying all day yesterday and having no luck, reconnected everything today after comments from Harrys and jes2020
and we have lift off!!! Didn't think I did anything different but good vibes from this forum seems to have worked wonders.
I'm 62 years old but still get a thrill from these little victories. Have a great day guys.

Bad connections are pretty common in kit building. My first builds nearly had me give up. Now testing wire continuity and rechecking connectors is the first step in fixing a non starter. I’d review the phase wires and make certain the connectors are solid. JES2020 was spot on. One or more of the yellow blue green phase wires had a poor connection.
I know the joy of successful solutions. Have fun! Please do share pictures of your build!?!? That’s the fee for fast help.;)

Well I'll be buggered! After trying all day yesterday and having no luck, reconnected everything today after comments from Harrys and jes2020
and we have lift off!!! Didn't think I did anything different but good vibes from this forum seems to have worked wonders.
I'm 62 years old but still get a thrill from these little victories. Have a great day guys.
Happy to be of some help....now go chase down some kangaroos !

Back