What Would You Have Done?

Uhm folks... it's called "Chopfit" and it's a long-time standard exercise. A good four or five pound axe has its weight multiplied by the swinging motion, resulting in a good upper body workout to go with the lower body one gets walking/jogging.

One company even makes them that just look like an axe, but are not.

View attachment 134144
Not an unusual thing at all. I know a few pro weightlifters who do this all the time.

Nice to know there is a name and explanation, but those of us who come from countries where carrying a potential weapon is NOT normal would quietly turn around .

ps " exercise for people who want to become better fighters" - surely THAT is a red flag?

It's a bit like those people who feel that screaming is good stress relief so standing around in a park screaming is OK..... If I come across someone screaming for no apparent reason in the middle of nowhere....sorry, my personal safety instinct kicks in!!!

BTW , I have a mate who does track maintenance an a motorbike. He carries a machete and chainsaw. We've had the discussion about how disturbing that looks.

I am usually CCd when I ride but you might get a can of bear mace and keep in your pocket or belt holster just in case. Works on bears and Ninjas.
I keep my CCP current but don't carry anymore. I just don't ride in questionable areas anymore. I guess you can find this sort of thing anywhere now though.

The 62 mile long Pine Creek Trail is in a remote, rural part of the Appalachian Mountains in Pennsylvania. In the week there are few people on this trail. It may have been a camp hatchet, as hatchet was the first description above. I'm thinking this wasn't a 3 foot long logging ax.
Definitely a double edged hatchet, not an ax.

I first thought it might be someone working on the trail since Pine Creek has many such volunteers. He wasn't wearing work clothes though and I watched him for some time as he swung the hatchet around. The fact that he resumed his routine in the center of the trail after I passed made me think he was either doing an exercise routine or some kind of nut.

Last edited:
Uhm folks... it's called "Chopfit" and it's a long-time standard exercise. A good four or five pound axe has its weight multiplied by the swinging motion, resulting in a good upper body workout to go with the lower body one gets walking/jogging.

One company even makes them that just look like an axe, but are not.

View attachment 134144
Not an unusual thing at all. I know a few pro weightlifters who do this all the time.

Perhaps he was exercising but why do it in a "public" place with a lightweight hatchet that looked very much like this one:

Dude, at least put the sheath on!

I would have just passed the guy and went on about my day, if the axe was dripping blood and/or the guy was acting crazy i would have turned around and called the police.

I keep my CCP current but don't carry anymore. I just don't ride in questionable areas anymore. I guess you can find this sort of thing anywhere now though.
When the oil patch was booming we had a real problem with meth heads and I always carried. Not as bad now but we also have bears and cougars in my area.

Never bring an ebike to a hatchet fight, I would have probably turned around.

We live in a cabin in the woods; as I walk the bush trails with the dog, it is not unusual to see bear, wolf/coyote sign. During the Summer I carry bear spray and a schoolyard whistle, in the Fall I will add either a flare pistol or a rifle.

I am the biggest wimp I would have turned around , no need to press the circumstances for me. On the other hand if you wanted to walk swinging a hatchet/ax this would be a good place to do so alone in general , kind of where else would go for a walk doing this?

Perhaps he was exercising but why do it in a "public" place with a lightweight hatchet that looked very much like this one:

Dude, at least put the sheath on!
I know a lot of people that love a "double bit hatchet" for camping, hunt camp, trail blazing because of the two edges and less need for sharpening. It's a tool.

Screenshot_20220903-102245_Chrome.jpg
A decent one will cost $150+. The type in your link are often bought as toys because of the scary look. I can see why you were a little apprehensive.

Like you, I've had my pa-ltcf for decades. There was a time when it was a needed tool for me,.but I don't have that need now where I am and what I do.

Nice to know there is a name and explanation, but those of us who come from countries where carrying a potential weapon is NOT normal would quietly turn around .
C'mon, next you're going to try to convince us that you don't all walk around in crocodile leather vests too!

What I would have done depends on too many factors, and I don't know about this guy in particular, but swinging an ax, regardless of its length, on a MUP doesn't seem too smart in general. As others have said, if it was an exercise routine, there are more appropriate places.

TT

I would have ran over him at 35mph and left tread marks on his scalp!

Just kidding and I probably wouldn't do that ;)

I would assume he's what we call a stealth trail maintenance guy. Not officially sanctioned but doing some work anyway.

Or, maybe they do axe throwing with smaller handles there and he was practicing?

There are places that serve alcohol (bars) that have axe throwing facilities. Beer and sharp axes being thrown. What could possibly go wrong?

I would assume he's what we call a stealth trail maintenance guy. Not officially sanctioned but doing some work anyway.

Or, maybe they do axe throwing with smaller handles there and he was practicing?

There are places that serve alcohol (bars) that have axe throwing facilities. Beer and sharp axes being thrown. What could possibly go wrong?
My kind of place!

My brothers and I played mumbly peg with hunting knives and I stuck one between his toes. Good times!

Only a complete dingbat would consider doing any kind of trail work with a "tool" like that.

Back