What to Buy? Decided: Stromer ST1 Platinum

Noreen

My first post, although I have been lurking for a while. I have been researching e-bikes for months, and think I have analysis paralysis. Over the weeks, I have 100% decided to get the Stromer Platinum; then the Easy Motion Evo City Wave; then maybe wait for the S2; then the e-Flow Nitro; 50% decided on the Haibike Trekking (but really don't like the humming of the mid-drive). I have ridden a few of these, but none were the proper frame size - too small or too big.

Went to my LBS this afternoon, and he was great (he sells the Currie line). He advised me to get fitted for a comfortable ride, then any bike I buy can likely be adjusted. He also asked what I was going to be using it for? The truth is, I am not totally sure: car replacement - probably a little; commuting - probably not; fun/exercise - yes. I like speed, but also would like to do my grocery shopping and maybe get a trailer for my dog to come along. I also want it too look great.

So, my question is whether anyone has purchased an e-bike and modified it to do all of those things? Which one did you get? How easy was it to modify (I will not be doing the mods) and make it what you wanted (seat/seat post, higher handlebars, etc.)? Did you just buy one because they are awesome, and now find you are using it all the time for everything? Which one?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Noreen

My first ebike, an A2B Metro, with 20" 3" wide tires, I mounted a milk crate on the rack and loaded it with rod holders, fishing poles and a live bait cooler... rode it into the mangroves.. was a lot of fun.. Then I had another milk crate that I modified for carrying groceries and bags of stuff from home depot. Milk crates are free and PVC piping is cheap!

Truth is, any cruiser type bike can take on all kinds of mods, including trailers... If you're headed that way, I'd stay away from racers, or anything with 700c tires or 29 ers... they are tougher to balance at low speed.. Go with 26" tires x 2" at least. The Stromer is a great all around like with an upright riding position.. It's just heavy at 65 lbs.. so if you're a petite rider you might looks for somthing around 50 lbs.

And buy the best Ebike you can afford from your LBS.. You'll be stuck with it for awhile so you might as well get exactly what you want.

Don't waste money on a FS bike unless you're doing some serious trail riding.

Thanks Joe. I love the look, speed, and general cool factor of the Stromer, and if the handle bars can be adjusted a little to a more upright, I think that would be my choice. It is heavy, but I would be storing it in a shed for 3 seasons, then moving it to the basement for winter. I would also change the seat. My LBS does not sell Stromers, but he is really enthused about the e-bike movement.

The Stromer website is awful - does the ST1 Platinum have 26" tires? I can't find a list of specs.

What's a FS bike? Apparently I have not done as much research as I thought.

Just remember it's just a bicycle and the most important thing is that you enjoy riding it.. Stop worrying about the specs or the look and demo ride as many as you can.. the stromer has nice 26 tires and it's a beast... Lighter bikes handle better though.. So find a few of different styles rear hub and mid drive heavy and light and see what feels right to you... forget about price. When you are on the right bike you'll know it right away.

Thanks Reddy. I am still leaning toward the Stromer because I believe it can be what I want - which is a little of everything. A city bike/cruiser, on the other hand, is only able to be that. It can't be made into a higher end performance bike. With the Stromer I can add a trailer, bags, - or just go for a "speed" ride. Wished I had figured this out before winter was almost here!

IMHO, I would buy the best the local dealer has. Sounds like he knows he knows what he is doing by fitting you properly. I have a Stromer ST1 Platinum. When it needs attention I prefer to go somewhere that has seen this and even better has a vested interest in our relationship...and it will be one! Since he sells Currie I would go w/the Dash if you are rails to trails or the Peak if you are on hills and more rugged trails. To me the biggest difference in a Path and aSt1 is the a little cool factor and to me stealthy!!! Stromer has hydraulic brakes and maybe some other higher grade components but I would have to ride back to back to see if it mattered in real world situations. The other factor is in some states they are more concerned if you are an ebike or not, I ride w/2panniers to cover the motor and the Stromer looks more like a regular bike,. The BH bikes have smaller motors except for the upcoming Nitro which compares speed wise to the Platinum and the Dash. Its motor appears as large form the pictures. ... But your store doesn't sell them.

you probably are not going to make you decision by input but I hope it helped

Mark

Thanks Mark - Yes, all input is helpful. I'm pretty lucky because I have both a Stromer dealer and a Currie dealer w/in driving distance. Both are enthusiastic about e-bikes. The non-Stromer dealer is the one insisting I get properly fitted. I am going to go ride the Stromer again to see if the position is comfortable. It's difficult to really determine that because I will be changing the seat, but it should give me an idea.

Stealth is important to me - which is why I like the Stromer and E-Flow. I also like the cool factor. Just don't want to be stupid about it and get a cool factor bike that is uncomfortable.

I am now also obsessing on a bike locker for the back yard for 3 season storage: trying to get one from Velo-Safe in the UK, but have not heard back. (Was not able to add a link or photo)

Hi Noreen. I am a woman and own a Stromer Elite step through. I just love my Stromer. The matte black is just a really cool look. The step through has the handle bars set a bit higher making for a comfortable riding position. Although it is heavy (I call it my tank), it doesn't feel like it when you are riding or just moving it from my garage. Stromers are just first class ebikes. The pedal assist is really powerful and smooth. The power assist takes me up to 22-24 mph. You do feel like superwoman! Have never once missed having a throttle.

With that being said, I am looking for a second electric bike. My teenage daughter has taken over the Stromer and we would like to ride together. I am looking for something other than the Stromer because it is no fun to lift onto a bike rack twice a week. It has been a difficult process because I just want a lighter weight Stromer. Nothing else feels as good - riding position and pedal assist.

My daughter and I did ride the Currie bikes a few days ago. For us, there was no comparison between Currie and Stromer. We both felt the pedal assist was not nearly as sophisticated. Neither of us liked using the throttle. But the Stromer is a more expensive bike.

We also tried the Haibike 29" Hardtail, Trekking, and 27.5" FX RX full suspension bike. Very nice ebikes. The Bosch system is different from but, to me, equal to the Stromer. I don't personally like 29" mountain bikes, the Trekking seemed too tame, and we really don't need full suspension although I liked the 27.5 wheel size.

I have also given the Specialized Turbo S a test ride - another great ebike. But it is $6,000. I am waiting to check out the $4,000 Specialized Turbo X.

My daughter didn't like any of the other bikes at all and keeps telling me to just buy another Stromer.

So, if you don't intend to use a bike rack often, I strongly support getting a Stromer.

Hello EMG, and thank you for giving me such detailed information and your opinion. I have to admit that the 60+ pounds of the Stromer is a factor, and I don't think I would be able to lift it onto a rack alone. However, I think I agree with your daughter: if you really like the Stromer, maybe you should get another one. I am looking at the new Thule rack that is made for ebikes, and has a ramp to load them on. The EasyFold 9032. It is hitch only, no other mounting option. It's also $699.

I saw the Specialized Turbo X at the LBS, and it has a pretty aggressive riding position that would not work for me. I did not ask about raising the handle bars or other modifications, because I think my heart is set on the Stromer.

Thanks again, and let me know what you decide - I would be very interested in your impressions of the bikes you are considering.

I forgot to add that most of our bike riding is done straight from our house. We have bike paths within riding distance from the house. Also use the bike to run errands, stop by friends' houses, etc.

Today I was able to test ride a Stromer ST1 Platinum (Step Through/Red) for about an hour or so. I really liked it, and was ready to get the City Kit, and load it on the car to go home for a ride. BUT, I really did not like the rack that comes with the City Kit, so the dealer is going to put on a Topeak and some fenders. He has done this on about 6 other Stromers, so I left it there and will pick it up in the next couple of weeks - that's my schedule, not the dealers.

Think I made the right choice, and thanks for all the helpful information.

Today I was able to test ride a Stromer ST1 Platinum (Step Through/Red) for about an hour or so. I really liked it, and was ready to get the City Kit, and load it on the car to go home for a ride. BUT, I really did not like the rack that comes with the City Kit, so the dealer is going to put on a Topeak and some fenders. He has done this on about 6 other Stromers, so I left it there and will pick it up in the next couple of weeks - that's my schedule, not the dealers.

Think I made the right choice, and thanks for all the helpful information.

Congratulations Noreen! You made a great choice, and with the larger battery you could go 50-60 miles on the flats no problem.. I have a Stromer Elite with 2000 miles and just love the bike and get compliments all the time.. put on my own fenders and topeak rack system, front and rear flashers.. Wax it once a month... No electrical problems whatsoever.

Thank you JoePah. I really liked the solid feel during the test ride - and I was able to go uphill into a pretty stiff headwind in Eco mode without a problem. I was very encouraged by that. Really don't like the seat, but will swap that out at my LBS for the same Brooks I have on my Brompton. As part of my test ride, I shut off all e-assist. Do-able, but not something I would like to do for more than a little while.

Hopefully I will be able to collect the bike and ride it before it starts to snow!

From a fellow Sromer owner i don't believe anybody keeps that seat, lmao. A complete waste. We have Thudbusters on ours and have interest in a Cirrus float to see if even better for comfort.

Enjoy your bike.

Thank you JoePah. I really liked the solid feel during the test ride - and I was able to go uphill into a pretty stiff headwind in Eco mode without a problem. I was very encouraged by that. Really don't like the seat, but will swap that out at my LBS for the same Brooks I have on my Brompton. As part of my test ride, I shut off all e-assist. Do-able, but not something I would like to do for more than a little while.

Hopefully I will be able to collect the bike and ride it before it starts to snow!

Did you get a suspension or carbon fork? If it's carbon fork, have the dealer verify it's not part of the Stromer recall... If it is make sure you have him order a replacement, before you take your new toy home.

Thank you for the heads-up. I got the suspension fork because I thought the ride was pretty comfortable. I tested a carbon fork/non-step through, and actually didn't see much of a difference - and I'm not sure I would even notice. But the suspension fork was nice - plus, I can lock it out if needed. I have no intention of going off road - unless it gets away from me.

Congratulations on your new ride Noreen. By the way, as you know, Brooks saddles rule. I had one on my Trek 720 that I owned when I was half as old as I am now, and it was the best thing since sliced bread. It came standard on that bike and was so nice once it was broken in to my sit bones. That bike—which had 18 ½" chainstays—rode like a featherbed. The Brooks saddle was just the frosting on the cake. I hope whoever has that bike now (I sold it about 25 years ago) is still enjoying that saddle. Given reasonable care, there's no reason they shouldn't be.
Though I had to pay the big price this time around, there was no question what kind of saddle I was going to put on my new Optibike: a Brooks B17 Special; what else is there?
I'm glad to hear you got the suspension fork. I have a very smooth commute—in fact they just repaved most of my route— but my new machine has that setup, and I've found it to be very compliant. I doubt that I will ever elect to lock it out.
Welcome to this very helpful community and keep us posted on the new machine. I don't know how you can have a sked. that precludes picking up the bike.I'd be so jonesing for it if I were you. It sounds like you have the patience of Job.
I had the opposite problem; I had to wait two months to get my new Optibike. (The only thing I've ever waited longer for was losing my virginity, but I probably shouldn't say that since you're a girl.) Anyhow welcome. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that we can't wait to hear about your impending shakedown cruise(s).
Allen

Back