What is the highest range estimate you've seen on your bike?

voidedwarranty

Yes I know what I am asking and I know it means nothing to real world range.

So I finally received my repaired secondary battery today. Long story short the dedicated switch on the battery failed causing the battery to not turn on. I had no real idea when it started because I always ride with both batteries and never come close to draining them past 60% soc at any given time.

So for a while now I've been riding with only the primary battery, and it's been fine. Honestly the bike does respectable with just the one battery and from a full charge, would always get me through my whole ride with 50% to spare.

I realize the range estimate calculator is total BS just like a range estimate in a car but none the less it's still fun to look at. Well what I saw today after an 11 mile ride had me laughing for a few minutes and thinking "if only".

PXL_20210727_022050273.jpg

Here is the full details.
BBSHD
Primary battery: 52V 17.5ah
Secondary battery: 52V 14.5ah
Both batteries charged to 100%
Ambient temp 80*F

This picture was taken after my 11 mile exercise route. Entirely in PAS 1. Basically flat with the exception of 2 small highway overpass bridges where I bumped it up to PAS 2 for maybe 30 seconds per overpass. No throttle use.

Yeah so I thought it was funny. Clearly this is not possible to attain but figured it would be a little entertaining to post here and see if anyone else has witnessed a ridiculous range estimate compared to their battery capacity.

The Range GOM (Guess-O-Meter) on a BEV isn't all that useful because actual range depends on so many variables - Speed, vehicle loading, jack rabbit starts, tire pressure, etc, etc but if you know how to use it, it can be fairly helpful

But, a GOM on an eBike would seem to be totally useless to me, because in addition to all the other variables, you've now added in how much or how little or how hard the rider is pedaling - Why bother with putting a number up there at all? My eBike is smart enough to know it means nothing, so they didn't even add it to the display

Don

The Range GOM (Guess-O-Meter) on a BEV isn't all that useful because actual range depends on so many variables - Speed, vehicle loading, jack rabbit starts, tire pressure, etc, etc but if you know how to use it, it can be fairly helpful

But, a GOM on an eBike would seem to be totally useless to me, because in addition to all the other variables, you've now added in how much or how little or how hard the rider is pedaling - Why bother with putting a number up there at all? My eBike is smart enough to know it means nothing, so they didn't even add it to the display

Don
🤦
You missed the bold print at the top didn't you?

It depends on how the range-calculation software works, but my experience is that you can get quite spectacular numbers if you have a very long (10+ mile) downhill. I've gotten figures over 500 miles on a Bosch CX (and Intuvia display) that way.

I don’t think I’ve ever looked but with a 625wh battery in my Allant+7 I just started it in the garage and the range was 87.

It depends on how the range-calculation software works, but my experience is that you can get quite spectacular numbers if you have a very long (10+ mile) downhill. I've gotten figures over 500 miles on a Bosch CX (and Intuvia display) that way.
thats crazy. I usually see 9 miles after 20 miles of country roads with about 1200 feet of climbing on our e tandem and when we hit the bike bat that tends to be 1% downgrade it will jump to 25

That's one hell of a estimate!
I don’t think I’ve ever looked but with a 625wh battery in my Allant+7 I just started it in the garage and the range was 87.
While using just one 910wh battery I would see estimates of about 120 miles, so not too far off from that comparatively speaking.
thats crazy. I usually see 9 miles after 20 miles of country roads with about 1200 feet of climbing on our e tandem and when we hit the bike bat that tends to be 1% downgrade it will jump to 25
Have you ever ran the battery until low voltage cut off? What is the farthest you've been able to go?

Have you ever ran the battery until low voltage cut off? What is the farthest you've been able to go?
yes and usually the milage is a little conservative I get maybe 2 miles after it shows 0. usually around 40 depending on how good we feel and the hills. I usually crank it up to turbo if we have steeper hills to climb but when we are cruising we are around 18.5 mph right at the motor cutoff and we are only using 4 watts per mile. if we had all flats then we would go a really long way but portland is not flat.

I've ridden my Gazelle T10 for a 85km ride (kms remember not miles in Canada) and between the 5-block battery gauge and the range estimator it seemed that I had used about half of the battery. That was riding quickly and efficiently with road bikers and with a good 2km hill coming back home. If I ride with slower riders and lots of stops and starts I use considerably more battery for the kms.
My range estimator said over 200km remaining on Eco once but it was in our heat wave and the bike shop said that the hot temperature can make the battery read an untrue range. I bet that isn't very good for the battery either then.

From my Bosch controller on my Trek Allant+ 7s with 500W PowerTube + 500W Range Boost battery.
197 miles is about the RT distance to my local favorite brew pub.:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_5492.JPG
    IMG_5492.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 196
Same set up as Sparky above , 220 Miles. As this thread I always check before I ride but know better. Just think what it would say if it had and calculated false regen info too.

112 miles this morning on a fully charged battery...was pedaling fairly quickly in the ECO mode.

Reactions: Law
Max starting range seems to vary by the previous day’s ride. A full charge after a “fast” solo ride will be much lower (50 on Turbo) than after a “slower” group ride (77 on Turbo). Often I GAIN miles when riding. Example: when I started with 77 on Turbo / 212 on Eco, we rode 28 miles and I had 68 left on Turbo and 187 on Eco. I rode a fast 34 miles yesterday and a full charge yields 48 on Turbo this morning.
I tend not to trust nor rely on these highly variable algorithm calculations.

I don't have that kind of a readout in my information but let's just say that I was going slightly downhill with no wind in the lowest setting and still pulling 90% of the power for that setting. My speed would be right around 19.8mph and the the battery happened to start at magical 100%. The range would read out about 900 miles. The longest range I suspect I could practically get on fairly flat terrain with little wind and speeds around 13mph, in the lowest assist level constantly, would be about 270 miles.
I am trying to figure out if it's possible to wring out 155 miles on dirt with a fully loaded bike and moderate climbing. The longest stretch on the Western Wildlands Route is 155 miles between plugs. I suspect I would need to be down around 10-11 mph to get down to the 11 watt hours per mile needed. I would have to watch the headwinds.

270 would be mighty impressive. How far have you actually gone before charging? I get anxiety when I start to see 50-40% remaining even though I could probably stretch that for 30-40 miles or more. I rarely do more than 20 miles on any single trip.

270 would be mighty impressive. How far have you actually gone before charging? I get anxiety when I start to see 50-40% remaining even though I could probably stretch that for 30-40 miles or more. I rarely do more than 20 miles on any single trip.
The highest I have gone so far is 175 miles with 30% useable remaining but I have a 52 volt 49 amp hour battery bank. Given chargers, battery age, battery temperatures and battery sag I can count on 70-75% of rated watt hours at still be at 45 volts. or 25%

Last edited:
The highest I have gone so far is 175 miles with 30% useable remaining but I have a 52 volt 49 amp hour battery bank. Given chargers, battery age, battery temperatures and battery sag I can count on 70-75% of rated power output at still be at 45 volts. or 25%
Jesus that's one hefty battery. Homemade? If not where did you buy that thing and do you have any pics of it?

I´m managing 60+ miles on 13ah & can carry a 2nd battery. With the right gear & cadence the
bike uses little or no power at all. With the triple chainring it´s not difficult to ride with no power.
As my legs have grown stronger the motor´s mostly there to bring the bike up to speed. Once
rolling good pedalling simply maintains momentum. Yesterday was the 1st time I´ve used the
smallest chainring in 3900 miles. Climbing a long steep hill was too easy, like rotary foot rests.
I went to the 2nd smallest gear on the freewheel & still climbed with ease.

I´m managing 60+ miles on 13ah & can carry a 2nd battery. With the right gear & cadence the
bike uses little or no power at all. With the triple chainring it´s not difficult to ride with no power.
As my legs have grown stronger the motor´s mostly there to bring the bike up to speed. Once
rolling good pedalling simply maintains momentum. Yesterday was the 1st time I´ve used the
smallest chainring in 3900 miles. Climbing a long steep hill was too easy, like rotary foot rests.
I went to the 2nd smallest gear on the freewheel & still climbed with ease.
That's great range for such a comparatively small battery! As the doctor has ordered more exercise I've given the throttle a rest and have been amazed at how little power is drawn in PAS 1 and 2.

Back