What is the difference between an allant 8 and 8s? I'm not able to find a comparison even on Trek's site?

They do make an 8, but the 2022 model hasn't been announced yet (unless they're for some reason discontinuing it, which I doubt considering they're currently offering the 2022 8s). But yeah, like Dallant said, the only difference is that the 8s has the speed motor. :)

Last edited:
I'd be wary of buying an Allant 8s with the smartphone hub. You'll be buying into an obsolete system. Bosch has announced quite a bit of new technology for 2022, and has offered some interesting improvements for current customers but only for the CX motor system. The smartphone hub, with cobi.bike and the Performance Speed drive unit has received no improvements this year, unlike other displays and CX, and it appears nothing is in the offing. Cobi.bike seems to focus on pretty screens but limited fucnctionality, and offers some risk for your phone coming off to boot. I use an old phone so if it flys off I haven't lost much.

It's too bad Trek has spec'd a premium bike with sub-standard hardware, IMHO. I like my 8s, but am not sure I'd buy it again given the drive system obsolescence right after buying it. We live in an age of continuous improvement for our electronics, but not for Bosch, it seems. Or Trek.

I'd be wary of buying an Allant 8s with the smartphone hub. You'll be buying into an obsolete system. Bosch has announced quite a bit of new technology for 2022, and has offered some interesting improvements for current customers but only for the CX motor system. The smartphone hub, with cobi.bike and the Performance Speed drive unit has received no improvements this year, unlike other displays and CX, and it appears nothing is in the offing. Cobi.bike seems to focus on pretty screens but limited fucnctionality, and offers some risk for your phone coming off to boot. I use an old phone so if it flys off I haven't lost much.

It's too bad Trek has spec'd a premium bike with sub-standard hardware, IMHO. I like my 8s, but am not sure I'd buy it again given the drive system obsolescence right after buying it. We live in an age of continuous improvement for our electronics, but not for Bosch, it seems. Or Trek.
Appreciate the insights. I just picked up an Allant+ 8 so was curious of the differences. I've heard the CX has better low-end torque which is what I was looking for to tackle hills and such

I've been waiting for about 3 months or so for the Allant+ 8 to become available again. I'd much prefer an 8s, but they don't sell those in Canada due to federal laws regarding maximum ebike speeds, but I'm planning to add a derestrictor module.

I test drove the 7 and the 8 (in a size slightly too large for me), and while I could get the proper size 7 locally, I'm waiting for the 8 because it has much better components and just seems like a much nicer and more premium bike when you view them side by side. If the 2022 still comes with the smartphonehub, I'll be replacing that with a Nyon.

I've also been looking at bikes by Riese & Muller, Gazelle, Cube, and Bulls, and while they all make nice bikes, I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for in any of them! Well, I could find an R&M that would work, but they are WAY overpriced for what you get - they seriously need to cut their prices by 25-50%. Specifically, I'm looking for a high step commuter with fenders and rack, and the 85 Nm Bosch CX or equivalent motor. Gazelle is making some VERY nice bikes IMO, but the closest thing they offer to what I want insanely only comes in step through. Gah.

The Allant+ 8 is right for me in almost all ways. Many complain about the rack, but I actually like the minimalist design and it will work perfect with my Oertlieb panniers. The only downside is the stupid smartphonehub.

I do wish Trek would upgrade the drivetrain to belt drive though. If they did that, the 8 would be my perfect bike.

Last edited:
I know most people covered everything I was going to say but just to reiterate- the 8s is the class 3 version with 28 mph and the performance speed.

I agree 100% with retiredNH - I would not buy anything right now from trek except if you have a high need. I would wait for them to come out with their models featuring the smart system. Most of the smart system (from what I've read) will not work on our system 2 bikes - so even the CX will become legacy after the smart system releases.

That being said you don't need the latest and greatest to ride a bike but if you're going to pay that premium trek cost then I would wait until it comes out, unless you really need a new bike.

Edit: sorry just to clarify- when I say legacy, keep in mind we will still get major bug fixes and small software updates for 7 years after that happens. So it will still be supported for 7 years.

Obsolescence is an immediate phenomenon, the next big thing is always lurking.
Anything you buy has a shelf life and pluses and minuses. The new system is completely untested in the real world and who knows what availability will be? Or cost? As someone with a totally reliable Allant+7 just short of 2k miles that I’ve ridden hard in a lot of different surfaces with zero issues, I’ll take the tested system all day long…SmartPhoneHub(?) excepted.

Last edited:
I know most people covered everything I was going to say but just to reiterate- the 8s is the class 3 version with 28 mph and the performance speed.

I agree 100% with retiredNH - I would not buy anything right now from trek except if you have a high need. I would wait for them to come out with their models featuring the smart system. Most of the smart system (from what I've read) will not work on our system 2 bikes - so even the CX will become legacy after the smart system releases.

That being said you don't need the latest and greatest to ride a bike but if you're going to pay that premium trek cost then I would wait until it comes out, unless you really need a new bike.

Edit: sorry just to clarify- when I say legacy, keep in mind we will still get major bug fixes and small software updates for 7 years after that happens. So it will still be supported for 7 years.
Bug fixes yes, software updates no. Bosch did release some small updates for CX drive units this year, but I'm sure there won't be any more. And those of us with Speed units? Nada. Those of us with smart phone hubs? NADA. In fact, I don't think smart phone hubs or cobi.bike have ever received an update. It's an obsolete product, a "legacy product" if you want to be polite.

I've had no issues with the smart hub, haven't had my phone come out, haven't needed more low end torque on my 8s yet. We regularly ride at 20+ over rough roads and carry heavy loads in panniers. Only issue I've had have been the Treck factory store's lack of any attention to detail during assembly.

Bug fixes yes, software updates no. Bosch did release some small updates for CX drive units this year, but I'm sure there won't be any more. And those of us with Speed units? Nada. Those of us with smart phone hubs? NADA. In fact, I don't think smart phone hubs or cobi.bike have ever received an update. It's an obsolete product, a "legacy product" if you want to be polite.
Again, bs. Not small to get +10 nm update, and EMTB-Lite (Touring+ or whatever), EMTB are major updates albeit for just the CX.

Again, bs. Not small to get +10 nm update, and EMTB-Lite (Touring+ or whatever), EMTB are major updates albeit for just the CX.
BS? You need a reading lesson. I mentioned the updates to CX. And those were updates to the DU, not the smartphone hub or cobi.bike. You don't even own an 8s, do you?

Honestly, your insulting attitude is a bit tiresome. This is not the first time. I don' know what your problem is, but have you considered therapy? It might increase your happiness quotient.

Those of us with smart phone hubs? NADA. In fact, I don't think smart phone hubs or cobi.bike have ever received an update.
The first thing my Hub did when I installed it was update the firmware from what it was shipped with. The COBI app last got an (minor bug fix) update on June 15.

You know if the SPH is taking that much enjoyment out of your rides, it's like a 10 minute job to put a Nyon or Kiox on your bike yourself.

Can I also ask what's everyones experience with the Allant in hilly areas? Is it a struggle, relative ease? Somewhere in between? Size of the hill varies of course but just curious of experiences

Can I also ask what's everyones experience with the Allant in hilly areas? Is it a struggle, relative ease? Somewhere in between? Size of the hill varies of course but just curious of experiences
Depends on way too many factors. That said, wifey and I just did the Mickelson trail out of Deadwood headed south this last week. It’s about 15 miles uphill. Not huge steepness but pretty consistent. Our Allant+7 did very well for us old farts. When we needed to, we used EMTB or Turbo and no problem, even with our old tired legs. YMMV.

BS? You need a reading lesson. I mentioned the updates to CX. And those were updates to the DU, not the smartphone hub or cobi.bike. You don't even own an 8s, do you?

Honestly, your insulting attitude is a bit tiresome. This is not the first time. I don' know what your problem is, but have you considered therapy? It might increase your happiness quotient.
IMO, these were not small updates and no bug fixes at all because none were needed. Only small change was an option to activate light on/off function. Just calling bs so relax.

You can just put the NYON on the allant8s, it is compatible.

Dallant has two 2021 Allants and a 2022 trek rail so he’s more than qualified to comment here on trek’s range of e-bikes even if he doesn’t have the specific model in question.

You can just put the NYON on the allant8s, it is compatible.
Yes, for a few hundred per bike that I shouldn't need to spend...if you like the smartphone hub so much, maybe you'd like to trade?
Dallant has two 2021 Allants and a 2022 trek rail so he’s more than qualified to comment here on trek’s range of e-bikes even if he doesn’t have the specific model in question.
Except when he calls out someone with insults for things that weren't even correct. And by your reasoning, I'm just as qualified with two allants even if I "have the specific models in question". And, in case you didn't know, the 7 and 8 are two different machines. The OP was asking about the 8, which Dallant does NOT have. OTOH, I never questioned his knowledge of either bike, only his knowledge of what updates (or lack thereof) were made to DU that he doesn't have.

Now, to answer Gee Wiz's question, the 8 and 8s have a wider range cluster than the 7, so better hill climbing. That's one of the reasons we purchased the 8s. We live in a hilly area with lots of vertical. For instance, on today's lunch ride, we rode 16 miles with 1600 feet of climbing. My spouse, who is more fit than I, does most of the climbing in the 2nd power setting. I typically use the 2nd except for the steepest parts where I use the third of 4. Haven't even used the highest power setting, turbo, in a long time. We're not speed freaks, though. With the 7, you might find you use turbo a bit more, but only on the steepest hills. I can't imagine a hill too steep for either bike.

I've been waiting for about 3 months or so for the Allant+ 8 to become available again. I'd much prefer an 8s, but they don't sell those in Canada due to federal laws regarding maximum ebike speeds, but I'm planning to add a derestrictor module.

I test drove the 7 and the 8 (in a size slightly too large for me), and while I could get the proper size 7 locally, I'm waiting for the 8 because it has much better components and just seems like a much nicer and more premium bike when you view them side by side. If the 2022 still comes with the smartphonehub, I'll be replacing that with a Nyon.

I've also been looking at bikes by Riese & Muller, Gazelle, Cube, and Bulls, and while they all make nice bikes, I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for in any of them! Well, I could find an R&M that would work, but they are WAY overpriced for what you get - they seriously need to cut their prices by 25-50%. Specifically, I'm looking for a high step commuter with fenders and rack, and the 85 Nm Bosch CX or equivalent motor. Gazelle is making some VERY nice bikes IMO, but the closest thing they offer to what I want insanely only comes in step through. Gah.

The Allant+ 8 is right for me in almost all ways. Many complain about the rack, but I actually like the minimalist design and it will work perfect with my Oertlieb panniers. The only downside is the stupid smartphonehub.

I do wish Trek would upgrade the drivetrain to belt drive though. If they did that, the 8 would be my perfect bike.
Just wondering why the Gazelle with what you want would be completely dismissed just because it is a step through. If it is the look, that's completely valid as it is your $ to spend on something you want and like. If it's a performance issue, I'd like to explore that. My wife refuses to consider anything other than a step through and I don't understand her insistence since it really only seems to matter when mounting / unmounting which is a small % of riding time (unless commuting or frequent stops). Trying to learn more.

Back