What do you use for a Helmet? (Pictures Thread)

I almost knocked myself out Lol. So I found the soft wave cell helmets from Bontrager, and ordered 2. I Believe this makes all these hard cell helmets worthless

Ha, I have done exactly this with my hard foam helmet and thought the same thing! Ouch, it feels hard and thought if it really provides effective protection. I think the original design intent for these hard foam helmets are for normal bike use, i.e., relatively low speed accidents. They are not meant to protect you if you were to crash into an oncoming car. This Bontrager Wave Cell helmet looks interesting. Is there any test data showing the difference between hard foam and this wave cell tech?

helmet.jpg

I checked out those wave cell helmets because they look cool and were being hyped. Although they look like they'd be soft and flexible (the wave cell part), in fact they are stiff and quite sharp. My husband has little hair on the top of his head, and I think you could get some serious road rash from the helmet itself if you took a tumble. So I went with Abus 2.0s. I have modified mine by adding an $11 visor in order to get more sunshade and more particularly, to get more rain coverage. So annoying to have to stop and clean your glasses when it is only misting. I also added some cool silver hologramming vinyl to flash and catch drivers' eyes.

_20200802_120424.JPG

I read the wave cell helmets are quite a bit heavier than the foam ones. It seems having more mass on the head would increase the risk of injury in an accident.

On sale for 40% off, $30 total, at a local LBS going out of business sale.
0927C49C-FE77-4A25-A618-9416CA985505.jpeg

That's sad. Either not enough business or not enough inventory to make sales?
Fairly successful LBS in Winchester VA owned by a retiring older couple. It’s coming back under new ownership this fall. Analog bikes, no e bikes up till now, don’t know future owners’ plans.

Last edited:
Well I got the Bontrager wave cell helmet.

As someone else has mentioned, the green cells are hard and I would hate to think what would happen to my skull with edges digging in.

I’ve given up on bicycle helmets, and bought an open face motorcycle helmet.
http://sendgrid.revzilla.com/ls/cli...PmfVZPF2-2F-2FZEw1LxmKsomnY7HiAICyTaNPZe6Y-3D
I’ve looked at those Bontrager helmets and agree that the ‘Wave’ edges are quite sharp. Not sure they’d reach your scalp in anything but a very serious accident.
Having just been through a 10-15 mph crash where my head took quite a hit, my relatively cheap Zefal helmet did a pretty good job of absorbing the impact and keeping my scalp from being severely gouged.

Well I got the Bontrager wave cell helmet.

As someone else has mentioned, the green cells are hard and I would hate to think what would happen to my skull with edges digging in.

I’ve given up on bicycle helmets, and bought an open face motorcycle helmet.
http://sendgrid.revzilla.com/ls/cli...PmfVZPF2-2F-2FZEw1LxmKsomnY7HiAICyTaNPZe6Y-3D
I have three half (one is HJC), two 3/4 and one full face motorcycle helmets. I also have 4 bicycle helmets. All use the same interior foam. On the half helmets, which are the closest in style to a bicycle helmet, there is a thin comfort foam pad for the crown and a thin felt like covered pad around the rim. These are for comfort, not protection. On 3/4 and full faced helmets the only soft foam is around the ears and neck. Otherwise you couldn't get it on your head. The protection is the shell and dense styrofoam. Same as a bicycle helmet.

I have to admit some helmets rub me the wrong way;) I am hard to fit. My Bern, I listed above in the thread, is the closest to a MC helmet I've owned. It is a multisport helmet though. Cooler and lighter than any of my MC helmets.

Last edited:
I read the wave cell helmets are quite a bit heavier than the foam ones. It seems having more mass on the head would increase the risk of injury in an accident.

It's 341g for a medium. Not heavy for comparably priced MIPS helmets. Referring to Specter model.
I checked out those wave cell helmets because they look cool and were being hyped. Although they look like they'd be soft and flexible (the wave cell part), in fact they are stiff and quite sharp. My husband has little hair on the top of his head, and I think you could get some serious road rash from the helmet itself if you took a tumble. So I went with Abus 2.0s. I have modified mine by adding an $11 visor in order to get more sunshade and more particularly, to get more rain coverage. So annoying to have to stop and clean your glasses when it is only misting. I also added some cool silver hologramming vinyl to flash and catch drivers' eyes.

View attachment 61023
I've crashed in the Wavecel, and my head was not cut up. There's a padded liner that separates your head from the webbing.

It's 341g for a medium. Not heavy for comparably priced MIPS helmets. Referring to Specter model.

I've crashed in the Wavecel, and my head was not cut up. There's a padded liner that separates your head from the webbing.
After looking into it as a result of this thread, I’m now sold on their WaveCel technology. I think it’s far advanced over MIPS, G6 and other competitors. I’ll be ordering one soon.

I just started riding an e-bike. I have other bikes and motorcycles. Bicycle helmets always seemed pretty insubstantial. It seemed to me that a DOT approved motorcycle half helmet ought to be at least as protective, probably more. I am wearing an AFX FX-72 motorcycle helmet. The drop down visor is a major convenience. It's more comfortable to me than the bicycle helmet I have. I guess I'll see if it gets too hot in the summer. Mine's in gloss black to match my Pace 500. http://www.afxhelmets.com/usa/halfHelmet/fx-72/specs.html I got this just for the E bike. All my other motorcycle helmets are full face.

I just started riding an e-bike. I have other bikes and motorcycles. Bicycle helmets always seemed pretty insubstantial. It seemed to me that a DOT approved motorcycle half helmet ought to be at least as protective, probably more. I am wearing an AFX FX-72 motorcycle helmet. The drop down visor is a major convenience. It's more comfortable to me than the bicycle helmet I have. I guess I'll see if it gets too hot in the summer. Mine's in gloss black to match my Pace 500. http://www.afxhelmets.com/usa/halfHelmet/fx-72/specs.html I got this just for the E bike. All my other motorcycle helmets are full face.
There is no doubt motorcycle helmets are safe, only these are pretty heavy. Your helmet Bob weighs 1 kg, and it is still lightweight as for a motorbike one. For instance, Bell Super Air R Spherical (full face helmet) weighs 3/4 of that. A snowboarding helmet I wear on winters weighs only 500 g together with goggles!

Last edited:
Back