What do you think of monowheel?

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
On one of my rides, which I took with my 45 km/h Vado, I was forced to ride a very long bike path. I was doing it reluctantly as -- technically speaking -- riding S-Pedelecs on bike paths is illegal in the EU. However, the road there was far too dangerous to properly ride with traffic. I set my pedalling assistance to 20/20% Eco and rode below 25 km/h to show respect to other cyclists.

Suddenly, a boy riding a monowheel appeared. He shot out at the signal change and instantly disappeared at the distance, riding (as I could assess) at least 50 km/h (30 mph); I could tell it because I know how fast it is to ride at 45 km/h (28 mph) and I knew I wouldn't be able to catch up with the boy even in the full Turbo mode.

For me, the boy was a potential killer. I even don't want to say his monowheel was totally illegal. I can just imagine how he would hit and injure or kill somebody. We have already had lethal cases of e-scooter rider crashing into a bike on a bike path. Don't want to say anything more.

Can you spot monowheels in your area? What do you think?

It sounds like a electric unicycle, they’re getting popular in the cities. I saw a video of one that can reach speeds up to 40 mph..it’s like going down the lane sitting on a suitcase doing 40.
cant imagine having top stop fast. even the flintstone method ins going to fail at that speed.

These things ? I see them quite often. Pricey

Attachments

• Onewheel-Plus.jpg
    Onewheel-Plus.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 309
and these

Attachments

• v8-electric-unicycle-one-wheel-scooter-life.jpg
    v8-electric-unicycle-one-wheel-scooter-life.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 204
The Onewheel looks like an amazing tool for Darwin Award candidate selection. ;)

The first time I saw one in the wild was when I was on my low powered electric scooter stopped at a red light. We set off when we got the green light and I suddenly hear some commotion behind me as we cross the intersection. I glance back and I see the poor guy rolling on his side. I'm just glad he had on a full face helmet and pads. I read that those things have a pretty steep learning curve.

The first time I saw one in the wild was when I was on my low powered electric scooter stopped at a red light. We set off when we got the green light and I suddenly hear some commotion behind me as we cross the intersection. I glance back and I see the poor guy rolling on his side. I'm just glad he had on a full face helmet and pads. I read that those things have a pretty steep learning curve.
ya I think you need skateboard skills to be ready for one.

EUCs Rock! But you better be aware of the safety issues. All I can say is don't leave your safety gear behind, most experienced riders will tell you they made that mistake only once, some twice.

2020 has been a great year for EUC development with the introduction of models that have suspension, and others that have great torque. All the people on here that talk about hub drives should see an EUC go up a mountain trail. In many ways they are more fun than bikes, but I find the e-bike utility far greater, hate carrying a back pack these days if I don't have to.

The way the OP described the person speeding away, he was not on a One Wheel, but an EUC (electric unicycle); which some use to call a monowheel, but EUC seems to be the name that has stuck.

... and so far the deaths have been of riders being hit, and not people getting hit. There are dangers though to others, like anything riders need to be responsible. Some use a leash to ensure the wheel does not get away from them too far in a crash, or as has happened into a river or a lake. There are responsible people and ....

Last edited:
I gave it a try while at Lake Tahoe... a skateboarding background helps the learning curve. ;)

IMG_4967.jpg

Back