What do you guys think of this build?

jhenson55

Hi everyone, im John. Just signed up here as it looks like the best community for ebike advice. Im looking at building an ebike to commute 15 miles each way to work once or twice a week when the weather is nice. I'd like to keep the budget in the $500-1000 range. ( I already own a decent mountain bike that has disk brakes) So what do you guys think-

My bike - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/atx-27dot5-2-2016

27.5 rear hub conversion for $295 - https://www.leafbike.com/products/d...r-hub-motor-650b-bike-conversion-kit-903.html
https://www.leafbike.com/products/d...r-hub-motor-650b-bike-conversion-kit-903.html
48v 20ah triangle battery bag for $475 - (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

So it looks like for $770 I can get a quality conversion kit and battery, I cant find any other solution to build something with that distance and speed capability, you guys think I should pull the trigger?

Seems like limited options for 27.5 hub kits...

@jhenson55 Welcome to the best place on earth for e-bike info.

That sounds like a worth while project although i was too lazy to source individual parts and purchased one already build.

If i may suggest any advice is that you take a good look at the specs of the battery that you mentioned above and this one, yes it will cost you $105 more however it will pay for itself in the long run. The one you mentioned has a Charging Cycles: > 600 times and the one i`m suggesting has a Charging Cycles: >2000 times. You can always add this rack to install the battery on, or i would ask them if they will give you a special deal for all 3 items or ask if they willing to just throw in the battery rack since you like to purchase everything from them. You`ll never know unless you ask.
Now that is just my opinion and if i had to choose i would spend the extra money up front.

What ever you decide I wish you all the best with your project and keep us updated with lots of pictures. We love pictures....

Last edited:
Not sure about your observation of this being quality parts. There is no mention of the brand name of battery cell that I could find. They even show a picture of a lot of different looking cells. That tells me they may be taking apart damaged or faulty packs, and making new packs. They also list it as equal to or greater than 600 charging cycles. That's about the lowest threshold I have seen advertised. I'd suggest caution if they don't mention the brand name. I've even read about Chinese packs, that mention a brand name, but once inside the pack it's not as advertised. Do you know that a direct drive motor has some drag on it if you pedal without power.
Looks the identical pack, cheaper, and says 1000 cycles. But making a warranty claim on cheap Chinese battery packs is going to be really tough! https://www.dhgate.com/product/48v-...lithium/376031004.html#s1-5-7b;srp|2837156972

....So it looks like for $770 I can get a quality conversion kit and battery.....

I don't want to rain on your parade, but maybe you should do some reading over at Endless Sphere. What your are looking at will disappoint. You get what you pay for. IMO, you would be better served spending more and getting a Bafang mid-drive.

Chain falling off? More like wearing the drivetrain out instead of it falling off. With no shift sensor, it's up to you to hesitate on the pedals when you shift. Is that a trusted dealer? I personally only purchase from Luna or Velomobile. They are American dealers of Chinese hardware. At least you have someone to get technical help from if you need it.

Mids put more load on the chain and rear cluster so they can wear faster than a standard pedal bike, but you will normally get a LOT of miles before that maintenance is necessary.

Shift sensors were not part of the original Bafang mid package because they really are not necessary with the correct riding technique. There are two ways to shift a Bafang mid that mimic a hand clutch on a motorcycle. One is to partially compress the brake lever so the cutoff switch clips motor power during a shift [which is what a shift sensor does]. After the derailleur moves, release the lever. As 'rich c' mentioned, the other is to simply stop pedaling, or ghost pedal for a moment during the shift, then resume normal pedaling after the derailleur moves the chain. I've always shifted that way with standard derailleur pedal bikes, too, to make a smooth and quiet shift. That last technique works well on other brands of mid-drives, too.

Bafang systems with a warranty are imported and distributed by eRad to independent bicycle shops around the US. If you buy an eRad from your local shop, you will have support https://www.eradkits.com/dealers . Luna, who apparently does their own importing, also supports their products. Stateside vendors who import Bafang hubs and mids and sell them on Craig's and eBay may not be too supportive [or not supportive at all] if you have a QC problem or need installation help. Buying via Alibaba might get you B-level quality, especially with the batteries. Ordering from mainland vendors can be a hassle because returning a defective system to China is spendy and can take a long time. Because of the new shipping regulations, returning a bad battery is a major pita.

Back