What are your plans for winter exercise? Keep riding your ebike or an exercise bike?

I’ll be relegated to riding my (unpowered) MTB until the spring melt.
IMG_20201111_1140336.jpg

Beautiful. Do you have studded tires?
Yes, I tested a new set of 45N Gravdal tires today and they performed really well on the hard packed roads as well as 4-5" of deep snow. I don't have fat tires so that limits my rides to groomed or partially covered trails/roads. I also fitted the bike with full coverage fenders this season with the goal of better shielding the drive train on days when things get a bit messy. They replaced the beaver tails that were on there last winter. We'll see how they hold up for the rest of the season.
IMG_20201026_1801182.jpg

Yes, I tested a new set of 45N Gravdal tires today and they performed really well on the hard packed roads as well as 4-5" of deep snow. I don't have fat tires so that limits my rides to groomed or partially covered trails/roads. I also fitted the bike with full coverage fenders this season with the goal of better shielding the drive train on days when things get a bit messy. They replaced the beaver tails that were on there last winter. We'll see how they hold up for the rest of the season.
View attachment 71190
Very cool winter setup... are the studs replaceable after a season or riding?

1605134608538.png

I went out today intending to do my 27 miler but it was 45F and the wind was 15-20 mph so I ended up doing about 8. I just can’t stand the cold at this age, I guess. Hopefully the Bowflex will show up before the end of November!

Last edited:
Very cool winter setup... are the studs replaceable after a season or riding?

View attachment 71194
Yes, they are replaceable. I'll assess any casualties from time-to-time as my winter riding season progresses. Today was a prime day to test them out. Traction is far superior to the Nokian Mount and Grounds that I rode on last year particularly on some very sketchy hills. The Gravdals have superior siping and tread blocking and are surprisingly quieter than I imagined but it’s the sheer number of carbide studs that make a huge difference. 216 vs 160 on the Nokians.

Left (Gravdals) Rt (Nokians)
IMG_20201111_2016478.jpg

I live a little north of Prairie Dog in Edmonton. Most people who ride in the Winter here use studded tires. Prairie Dog is using some very good ones (Gravdals). One big problem here is Edmonton pours Calcium Chloride on bike paths during the winter which reeks havoc with your bike. Lots of people have a bike they only use in the winter and when the Winter is over, they toss the chain and cassette as they are toast by then. It is very difficult to keep your bike clean and lubed during Winter between the varying Winter conditions and Calcium Chloride. I'm not that adventurous so after the 25 cms of snow a few days ago, I put my bikes away in the basement. No saddle time for me til next April. I walk when the weather is good and use our elliptical machine when it isn't (also shovel snow). I monitor this forum and dream of living in some of the places where people bike all year around in good weather - Dave Berry being a great example. When I put my bikes away each Winter, my wife always says that it is hard to see a grown man cry!!!

Here in NY we have been lucky, so far a pretty mild winter. Even got in a 50 mile ride on my new Yamaha a couple days ago. I hate the cold weather, and it looks like the cooler weather is on the way. But I do enjoy riding since starting this summer on my new analog bike, I have a feeling I am going to try and brave the cooler weather with some riding on the new ebike.

I live a little north of Prairie Dog in Edmonton. Most people who ride in the Winter here use studded tires. Prairie Dog is using some very good ones (Gravdals). One big problem here is Edmonton pours Calcium Chloride on bike paths during the winter which reeks havoc with your bike. Lots of people have a bike they only use in the winter and when the Winter is over, they toss the chain and cassette as they are toast by then. It is very difficult to keep your bike clean and lubed during Winter between the varying Winter conditions and Calcium Chloride. I'm not that adventurous so after the 25 cms of snow a few days ago, I put my bikes away in the basement. No saddle time for me til next April. I walk when the weather is good and use our elliptical machine when it isn't (also shovel snow). I monitor this forum and dream of living in some of the places where people bike all year around in good weather - Dave Berry being a great example. When I put my bikes away each Winter, my wife always says that it is hard to see a grown man cry!!!
I was under the impression that Edmonton Council voted down the use of CC this winter or is its use just limited to the MUPs? Regardless, I agree that stuff wreaks havoc on anything with wheels. Our municipality changes up the sand/salt mixture depending on the given temperature. Anything below -12C regular sand is used as salt is not effective below -18 C. As long as the MUPs are maintained to some degree I find riding my bike in the winter provides me the luxury of exploring our trail system in virtual solitude.

A treadmill and kayak ergometer in the basement get used sparingly and only on days when the windchill is too extreme to venture out.

I too would love to bike all year round and often dream of times when I can exchange the snow shovel and winter boots for flip flops and Ray Bans even for one day. For the time being, I'll seek solace on Dave Berry's 'Our Rides' thread and keep ridin' my trusty rigid.

Back