What are your plans for winter exercise? Keep riding your ebike or an exercise bike?

Well if gyms don’t open safely, I plan to ride until the snow flies or gets below 20F. Then I will park my self on my elliptical in front of a TV. Also work on core and flexibility, I have ignored this over the summer

When I bought my second e-bike in November last year, the decision was clear: I would be riding all year round. Predicting a normal Polish (that is, very cold) winter I prepared myself, taking advice from this Forum thread:

Last year's winter turned out to be mild with temps never below 0 C (32 F). Yes, there were strong cold winds. I survived and was riding hard. Discovering electrically heated socks was the turning point. I wouldn't probably ride below the freezing point though.

I don't operate a car anymore, so any shopping/errands done in the winter is on the bike or on foot. As it gets below freezing here quite a bit, I take the battery off and store it in the garage under a heat pad Dec Jan Feb. If there is black ice or the city piles up snow (turned to ice) in the bike lanes, I don't ride, but that hasn't happened for a couple of years. It does go down to 6 deg F sometimes with 30 mph winds. I wear up to 6 layers and serious gloves from the farm supply in that weather. I wrap the vents in my helmet with plastic wrap in that weather. I wear a welder's helmet liner under the helmet in that weather for my ears.
I don't ride 70 mpw in winter as I do in the summer, so I have to ride an exercycle to keep my heart in shape and my wieght down. I still gain 10 lb usually and my rest pulse increases from 66 to 78. I have a tinturi excercycle, installed in front of the TV so I can watch music videos as I ride. Still boring, i can't make myself do it more than 30 minutes although out on the bike I sometimes ride 3.7 hours. I also do pilates exercises for my chest & arms with hand weights in the winter. In the summer I can skip that as I spend a lot of hours carrying tree branches and logs to the gulley for disposal. Cut them up and carry them in a trash can over my shoulder, until I buy a running tractor (last week) and a trailer (time TBD).

The deep sand freezes and becomes easier to bike on in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. I've been riding motorcycles and bicycles during winter so I have an idea of how to suit up for the cold. For biking, it's my rule of thumb to be a bit chilly during the first 5 minutes (if you just use the throttle, bundle up) by going at a good high pedal cadence. I have a fleece sweater and a sweat wicking LS shirt under my goretex parka. Not much in the way of insulation at 29-32 F degrees. Winter rides are shorter! Don't do much more than 25 miles.
IMG_0215.JPG

I'll occasionally ride plowed local fire roads but my coordination isn't what it once was.

P1070145a.jpg

Even with aggressive tires, I have a tough time on slippery surfaces. Most of the time, I confine my winter riding to clear dry trails with the temp above 32 F.

A few years back, I picked up a used NordicTrack exercise bike but It certainly isn't the same as riding on 2 wheels. I usually put my laptop on the bars and watch pics & videos of previous rides to ease the boredom.

The deep sand freezes and becomes easier to bike on in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. I've been riding motorcycles and bicycles during winter so I have an idea of how to suit up for the cold. For biking, it's my rule of thumb to be a bit chilly during the first 5 minutes (if you just use the throttle, bundle up) by going at a good high pedal cadence. I have a fleece sweater and a sweat-wicking LS shirt under my Goretex parka. Not much in the way of insulation at 29-32 F degrees. Winter rides are shorter! Don't do much more than 25 miles.

View attachment 63984

Good winter tips... are you also prior service?

32 years USAF

Well done... you may want to check out the veteran's thread on EBR.

I have too many bikes....lol. 3 of my current fleet of 7 are fat tire models. One Bionx (RWD), one non-electric and for this winter I'm building a custom 2WD Surley Pugsley running Nate tires.

Last winter I road the Bionx around 10-12 times and the non-electric only twice. I'm in SW Ontario for reference. I managed to find some decent groom trails for those who like to walk and at times the snowmobile trails worked well for me unless they were getting chewed up/really bumpy.

When I did attempt through the local conservation area I ride in summer months to ride...my 4.8" tires and the Bionx RWD was good up to 2-3" deep. Hell of a workout even with a motor (I weigh 280lbs for reference) and loved it. Problem was when the snow got more than 3" deep I lost any 'float' I had for the front tire and it would slide sideways and I have to stop...

...hence I'm building the 2WD Pugsley for this year. :) Nine Continent RH212's front and rear (Pugsley comes with a 135mm front fork instead of a 100mm), dual Grin PhaseRunners and a LG celled 52V battery capable of 45A continuous draw to be the single battery feeding those two motors, saving the need for a dual battery setup.

Same bike will be fun on dirt, mud and beach riding - when it's ready.

Last note, one of my best days riding other than epic long distance personal record setting rides was Valentine's Day this year (can you tell I'm single? lol). It was -15C to -22C that day (much warmer before and after, go figure) and I went to a resort that offers trails to both cross country skiers and Fat Bike Riders -

Went through 3 batteries that day - the usual 30km per battery I get in the summer was shorten to 20kms each in that extreme cold...and yes my motor cut out a few times from getting too cold - lesson learned.

My goal this winter is to keep up my 3 rides a week schedule, outdoors if the weather is clear and above -10C, indoors on a trainer if otherwise.

Cheers
Shaun

2020-02-14 14.45.23.jpg

What are your plans for winter exercise? Keep riding your ebike or an exercise bike? Being in a cold/snowy winter location, I’m thinking ahead to what my options are. If you have any specific suggestions as to training bikes I’d love to hear them.
I have covers for the handlebars to keep my hands warm, good winter boots with thick wool socks and wear several layers to keep my torso warm. I limit winter rides to 15-20k and don’t ride during snowfalls or icy conditions. When I was younger I would do spinning classes twice a week and they kept me in shape during the winter. Now if I can’t ride outside I hit the gym stationary bike.

Dec 1, 2018 - Feb 28, 2019, I rode 1,058 miles here in the D.C. / N. VA area, with coldest riding temperature probably 24f. I was regularly office commuting by then and kept that up all through winter.
Then Nov. 2019 I started dating and my miles for the same 3 month span this past winter dropped to 268 :oops:
Now, still dating but 100% telework under Covid and no office commute to inspire and “make me” ride... last 45 days of summer only had 25 miles!
No idea how this winter will go; assuming no return to office, it looks pretty non-bikey!

Thanks for all the ideas guys! Back in the day (read ‘70s/‘80s) I rode a Yamaha enduro and modified a bicycle tire with screws to ride in the winter. I was always cold but it was fun at times. I’m hoping my SCHWALBE G-1s will work in the snow. I spent a lot of years cross-country skiing In Washington & Oregon, so that’s a possibility too.
Must admit I’m surprised nobody appears to use a Peloton/Nordic Trak/other sophisticated bike trainer. My daughter has one and she really likes it.

I try to attend Zumba classes but Covid stopped that. I regularly do kung fu and taichi classes several times a week. I do have a bike trainer and a treadmill but I hate doing those even with a tv and ceiling fans.

After my first summer on an ebike, I was concerned about losing conditioning and purchased a B&H upright exercycle. I live in Bellingham, Wa where we get very little snow in the winter but lots of rain.

As it turned out, with good layering, goretex, the right shoes and gloves, I can ride comfortably in cooler conditions. With the ability to consult up to date, hourly local forecasts, it is unusual to not be able to identify a few hours almost every day when the precipitation stops and I can sneak in a couple of hours to ride. My monthly mileage usually drops to an average of 400 from 600-800 in the summer but it is enough such that the exercycle hardly gets any use.

Must admit I’m surprised nobody appears to use a Peloton/Nordic Trak/other sophisticated bike trainer. My daughter has one and she really likes it.
I don't need some remote coach on a screen telling me to try harder. I can feel my pulse, know how fast it is, know what my goals are. really sprinting is stupid age 70. Dr Ken Cooper has a plan in a book that I follow.
I'm not very coordinated; I think I would fall off a nordic track. I tried jazzercize once and was the class idiot.

After my first summer on an ebike, I was concerned about losing conditioning and purchased a B&H upright exercycle. I live in Bellingham, Wa where we get very little snow in the winter but lots of rain.
I get that out there in the Inland Empire. We in the Midwest don’t have that luxury. Far colder and much more snow, depending on the year. The last winter I lived here before I moved to Washington, January never got above 0 degrees F.
I certainly intend to ride outside at times this winter but need to plan for other possibilities. I do have a bike exerciser stand that I used the last 2 winters but I’m not a fan.

Back