What are your cold weather ebike limits?

Dallant

Region
USA
What are your cold weather ebike limits?
I realize some ride all winter but for those who don’t, what are the temperature/condition limits that signal you are done for the season?
At my age, it appears to be the lower 40F temps with 15+ mph headwinds. I have gloves, long underware, rain gear, under helmet cap, but it’s when my eyes start watering a bunch, nose starts running that makes it cease being fun.
We‘re expecting 40+ mph winds today!💨🚴🏼🥶

40? thats average here in portland or. if there is no ice or snow on the roads I ride. but its been years since it has been below 30 here when I ride.

40? thats average here in portland or. if there is no ice or snow on the roads I ride. but its been years since it has been below 30 here when I ride.
40 plus 15+ mph winds = 25 Wind chill.🥶
40 is average in Portland? You mean during winter? Where I live we used to be lucky to see 30 during winter, although that certainly appears to be changing the last decade or so.

I generally ride between 45 and 95 degrees (depending on humidity). Outside of that, as you say, it ceases being fun.

20 degrees, ambient or windchill. I usually reserve those kind of days for single track mtb rides. It puts me in the woods, riding speed is lower, and after 10 miles of intermediate trails I’m worn out.

40 plus 15+ mph winds = 25 Wind chill.🥶
40 is average in Portland? You mean during winter? Where I live we used to be lucky to see 30 during winter, although that certainly appears to be changing the last decade or so.
I go about 20mph so I always have the wind chill. day temps around 40 or a bit lower it varies a lot. but it is humid dairying winter here. often 90% humidity even when it is below freezing. I use layers and heated gloves but I stay warmer than taking the bus.

I put the battery under a heating pad in garage mid December to late February. I still ride the bike unpowered.
I've ridden at 6 deg F, 12 mph wind. I have enough clothes for that. It only hits 6 about every fifth year here. Below that I would need better boots.
If wind is over 25 mph, especially with gusts to 43 as today, I won't ride. May blow me over.
No ice on the road or piles of icy snow piled up in the bike lane. Rare enough here I don't run out of supplies.

Last edited:
Nov 6 was the final outing on the Creo and I recall it was -2C (23 F) that day. I would feel comfortable riding it at -10 C (14 F) if there wasn’t any snow/ice on the roads.
This morning’s non-powered ride was -14 wind chill and ideal conditions for riding on studs! Came across some other outdoor enthusiasts on the trails today. 👍
IMG_20201115_1107130.jpg

IMG_20201115_1147375.jpgIMG_20201115_1149006.jpg

0-90F are my limits...that covers about 90% of Mn weather.
Right now it sucks...we've had 10" of snow already but it keeps warming up into the 40's the trails are all closed and it looks like they will be for weeks! grrrr.. I just can't get into tar riding.

I was riding year round in Denver and easily to to 10F. I was never really cold because after a few minutes your body is creating heat burning calories. In fact I was more comfortable riding in the winter. I wore a ski helmet which was great at keeping my head warm and if very cold I would have a face mask on.

But they one freezing drizzle day I made a grave mistake. I noticed my coat coating with ice so the temp went below freezing. I had been over a few of the wooden bridges on the Platte River Trail in Denver but the next one was coated with clear solid ice and my bike went out. I was probably going 22-24mph and before I even hit the ground my head hit one of the poles resulting in 3 fractured cervical vertebrae (C6 unstable). In a way I was lucky because I'm still walking and occasionally riding but it's been almost 2 years and my neck is still a mess. I'm going to start riding a lot this spring but I've been advised by my surgeon that I'm nuts to ever ride again because I will not walk if I crash like that again...I just told him I was lucky to walk after this first one. I know a lot of people will say I'm just being stupid but honestly life is fragile regardless and I truly loved riding my ebike everywhere and I was 56 when I started riding one.

I wasn't going to go out when the weather went under 60f, but since I haven't ridden in a few days and I miss it, I will trek out and ride in the forty- fifty degree weather tomorrow. Finally an addiction that isn't going to kill me...

Back