What was the coldest ride of your life?

Did a short 6 mile ride this past week at 3F. Stayed warm except my feet and mustache freezing up. The minimum operating temperature for the ebike is 15F so I rode my old bike. Overall the ride wasn’t bad except for taking what felt like 30 minutes finding all of my cold weather gear and getting dressed.

They are kind of hard to find, but ski goggles made for nordic skiing have better ventilation and generally work better for me. Julbo makes a good if expensive pair.
I bought a pair of over-glasses ski goggles by Smith, and have been happy with them. Once I put them on, I push my eyeglasses all the way forward into the goggles cavity, i.e. down my nose slightly from where I'd normally wear them. That step greatly reduces / eliminates the fogging for me; they may start to slightly fog when I come to a traffic light stop, but never enough to block my vision, and that bit clears quickly once I'm moving.

TODAY, running an errand in falling snow (that felt like pins on our faces) in the Seattle area! Rode home and now we are putting our wimpy selves in the car to do further errands!

I had my coldest/snowiest ride this morning in N. Seattle, 24 degrees F with 20-30 mph wind gusts in 4" of newly fallen snow with 12-16" drifts. Small potatoes compared to what many of you have endured lately, but it's a Big Deal in Seattle, all the schools were closed & waste collection suspended. So I'm calling it the Arctic Pinwheel. :)

Anyhow, I aired down my 2.6" Smart Sam tires to 20# and had a blast! It's very enjoyable, riding quietly through undisturbed snow on an e-Bike!

I'm definitely not in the same league as most of you folks. My coldest was in winter/spring of 2018 leaving the house on the commute at 25F.

I'm interested in trying the ski goggles that fit over eye glasses. I've been searching for some athletic prescription eye wear that pairs well with the bike helmet but haven't had much success. My sport goggles with straps don't work very well with the helmet and I use them pretty much only at the pistol range. Better eye wear would certainly help me on the colder mornings where currently I only have my regular glasses.

I'm definitely not in the same league as most of you folks. My coldest was in winter/spring of 2018 leaving the house on the commute at 25F.

I'm interested in trying the ski goggles that fit over eye glasses. I've been searching for some athletic prescription eye wear that pairs well with the bike helmet but haven't had much success. My sport goggles with straps don't work very well with the helmet and I use them pretty much only at the pistol range. Better eye wear would certainly help me on the colder mornings where currently I only have my regular glasses.
Full disclosure most of my bike helmets don't work well with ski goggles. My winter helmet is a Bern multi sport. Most use it for biking, some for skiing and other winter sports. It came with a removable goggle strap mount on the back. I had to order the winter liner with ear covers. Because it was designed for goggle use, they work well. I know you invested a lot in your helmets; it might be more difficult to find goggles that work. I tried so many combinations before purchasing the Bern.

For reference, a shot of my small-form-factor glasses and the Smith goggles. I wear a Giro Savant helmet and it all fits fine on my head / face.
CFFCC85B-A544-49B5-B110-016316841A98.jpeg
50D4DB98-3B3C-4A5B-9B3B-146E2C7FCEB6.jpeg

How well do those goggles handle in the rain?

When I pedal fast in the rain, my eyes hurt really badly because the rain becomes like little bullets or something.

I’m afraid I don’t have any rain experience with them yet. I don’t (yet) bike in winter rain by choice and last summer’s rain rides, I didn’t have them. I really got them to stop the “wind sting” in cold air. However I will consider them also in summer to keep dust and gnats out of my eyes! If they aren’t too heat-trapping...

6 years ago I ride at Kazan - Russia and it was -18 Celcius . Brakes weren't functioning and i was riding a very old russian bicycle. It was a unique experience hope not to repeat again.

About 15 years ago we had one of those 100 year winters in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I rode my bike when the temp was 9 below zero Fahrenheit. It had snowed, and that had frozen on the ground as well as on the roads. It was a unique experience. The following year we moved to Florida. Life is too short to live it where the weather is always trying to kill you.

-5F but only because the temp dropped precipitously while I was visiting. Anything below 20F is just painful. Goggles, helmet, full windproof heavy balaclava, North Face 900 down hooded parka with insulated bibs. It was still somewhat uncomfortable. If it were enclosed I'd did it, but out and open...OUCH! Finnish Suomi studded bike tires help track.... I consider severe cold the MOST dangerous time to ride. Bicycles are completely unexpected and not typically in cage drivers thoughts.

About 15 years ago we had one of those 100 year winters in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I rode my bike when the temp was 9 below zero Fahrenheit. It had snowed, and that had frozen on the ground as well as on the roads. It was a unique experience. The following year we moved to Florida. Life is too short to live it where the weather is always trying to kill you.
It seems regardless I've where I lived there was a weather event capable of killing. Two hurricanes make a quiet day at home, below zero outside, all warm and fuzzy! VVBG!

My record is 12 degrees F.

I ebike work commute all year 3-5 times a week (about 40-60 miles per week). My cold weather gear is good to about 15 degrees F if it is dry and wind is under 10-12 mph. Lots of layers, ski googles, bar mitts, full face mask, and hiking boots. The key for me is keeping all exposed skin covered with layers and riding in dry conditions (no snow, ice, slush, rain, etc...). Helps living in New Mexico with less than 8 inches per year.

Man typing on iDevices and the ell grammar check makes for confusing post. I apologize and will try to check before hitting enter. I would have been fired for writing memos this bad.,..

There are products you can wipe or spray on glasses that will prevent them from fogging. When I was scuba diving we would rubb a cigarette butt on the inside of our masks or spit on the inside and wipe it clean. I had a real bad situation on my motorcycle once with fogging while I was driving down the road. I coughed hard and the whole inside of the face shield completly fogged up and I couldn't see a darned thing.

Back