Well this ain't good...

You mean wheelset, right? It's relatively expensive because the rims on ebikes, with the exception of premium bikes like R&M, are dirt cheap to begin with, typically made of aluminum and very narrow, many of them are weird OEM stuff that you need to get rid of as soon as possible. The hubs are typically Novatech or worse, not bad but not great. Also you don't need carbon wheels on an ebike and for this price you can get really cool alu wheels that nobody else has. And yes, they'll have quality hubs in them.

Also, consider a bike as an incremental upgrade process. Nobody's forcing you to do everything at once. For example, you might decide you want to try a Rohloff or something equally cool later on... well you can, when you are ready. I understand wanting to have everything at once but unfortunately when you buy it, you get massively fleeced by the bike maker.

Oh and regarding color schemes and whatnot... it costs me about EUR40 to repaint a bicycle frame and you can get amazing colors, way beyond what bike manufacturers put on their bikes. You can get any plain color, metallic paints, craquelure (not my cup of tea, but looks awesome), and you can also pick how many of layers of lacquer you want and what effects you want in the lacquer. It's an art. Yeah it does require you to disassemble your bike, but you only have to do it once. Can also paint other exotic parts of your bike like rims, fork, etc. Also when painting bikes, people often get the bridge(s) of their rear suspension anodized. I don't know why everyone's doing it but it's a trend.

Sounds nice, especially the painting part.
I might do the repainting.

Back