Welcome to Ebike Touring & Travel Forum!

ebikemom

Please post about your Ebike travel here, whether ebike touring, day trips, package tours, travel to a vacation rental and day-trips-from-there, ebike rentals while on vacation, or wherever your ebike touring and travel adventures take you!

If you see a thread related to ebike touring/travel, I'll see if I can move it here. Just post the link below and I'll check it out and either move it or leave the link in this thread for folks to check out.

This is not a place for advertising or offering discounts/deals. Please advertise here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/rentals-tours/

I would like to thank ebikemom for taking the initiative to start the The Ebike Touring & Travel forum. Since February 2018, when my wife Lynn and I purchased our first ebikes, we have literally been riding in circles. Granted we rode big circles of 25 to 50 miles but still all of our routes were loops. Loops that either started at our front door or loaded our bikes on carries to a trailhead. Our original mission was for recreation and exercise, but now we want to incorporate our other passion travel with biking, and bike touring seems to fill in all the blanks. Just like in February 2018 when we knew nothing about ebikes we find ourselves naive about bike touring.There are a few wonderful bike touring youtube channels, Bicycle Touring Pro, Rad Bike Adventures (not related to Rad Ebikes). And also the bike-packers, a newer close cousin of tradition European touring. The bike-packers replaces bike racks and panniers with Velcro fastened bags on gravel bikes and travel on unpaved roads, people like Iohan Gueorguiev and Path Less Pedaled were mesmerizing. All of these cyclists have a great sense of adventure and all are at least 30 years my junior. So how does a bunch of old folks with heavy ebikes enjoy similar adventures? Hopefully this forum will help us figure it out. Topics like how to pack panniers (rain gear, battery charges, extra cloths, tarp), oneway transportation (enough loops), accommodations, group rides (safety in numbers) and best ebikes for touring. I look forward to your posts from others looking for longer adventures.

@Dionigi

I too, enjoy those Youtube channels and have found them a great source of inspiration and ideas. I've found the Bicycle Touring Pro website and his books to also be of great help in how to do trip planning and packing and organizing gear.

I came from the distance-hiking world and found that the revolution that happened in the late 90's and early aughts was pretty cool as people figured out outside-the-box solutions to how to walk far and fast in rugged country without breaking your back or the bank. I find the bike packing world to be similar in that sense, as the whole toolkit evolved out of solving some pretty basic problems (how can I carry gear on a full-suspension bike? how can I carry gear on a narrow trail?) that traditional touring gear didn't solve or solved (and still solves) poorly. Although in this fallen, corrupt world the vast majority of people sporting bike packing rigs are doing road tours on road bikes (which makes sense because it is just as hopeless putting racks on a carbon fiber road bike as it is on a full-suspension mountain bike, if for different reasons).

I was hoping to make discussion threads on efficient clothing choices, camping gear, and cooking gear at some point in the next few weeks.

@Dionigi

I too, enjoy those Youtube channels and have found them a great source of inspiration and ideas. I've found the Bicycle Touring Pro website and his books to also be of great help in how to do trip planning and packing and organizing gear.

I came from the distance-hiking world and found that the revolution that happened in the late 90's and early aughts was pretty cool as people figured out outside-the-box solutions to how to walk far and fast in rugged country without breaking your back or the bank. I find the bike packing world to be similar in that sense, as the whole toolkit evolved out of solving some pretty basic problems (how can I carry gear on a full-suspension bike? how can I carry gear on a narrow trail?) that traditional touring gear didn't solve or solved (and still solves) poorly. Although in this fallen, corrupt world the vast majority of people sporting bike packing rigs are doing road tours on road bikes (which makes sense because it is just as hopeless putting racks on a carbon fiber road bike as it is on a full-suspension mountain bike, if for different reasons).

I was hoping to make discussion threads on efficient clothing choices, camping gear, and cooking gear at some point in the next few weeks.
Yes, I agree the bikepacking gravel bikes are still evolving (with ebikes in the background). What I see in the future are rear and front baskets. Or a suspended seatpost basket. The photo is not a good example, for the baskets are set for shopping, but you can see the rear basket is narrow and can be stuffed with a lot of gear.

Attachments

• 202462F1-E35F-4D3A-989D-EAA13298BAFE.jpeg
    202462F1-E35F-4D3A-989D-EAA13298BAFE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Yes, I agree the bikepacking gravel bikes are still evolving (with ebikes in the background). What I see in the future are rear and front baskets. Or a suspended seatpost basket. The photo is not a good example, for the baskets are set for shopping, but you can see the rear basket is narrow and can be stuffed with a lot of gear.

Yes, basketpacking is a thing:

Yippeee!!! :) I hope we are inspired by hearing about many adventures, including yours!!
I second the Yippeee! My wife and I are heading out Monday to kinda shake down our Ecotric eBikes. If weather cooperates we hope to do some range testing on the NWP drive near Cedar Key. My sole motivation to buy an eBike was to bikepack. My wife's was too extend her range for outdoor photography. Naturally couple camping is economic in $ and dividing the load. So far, although we have yet to purchase one, a modern hammock with bug screen and rain tarp looks interesting. The system takes up little space, is light and gets me up off the ground. If anyone has experience with this please post. One member on another thread confirmed my thinking was valid but that regulations in some areas forbid hammocks. Anyway, looking forward to ideas and inspiration on EBpacking. :)

So when we arrived, just before the serious rain, my soul concern was to get the bikes under cover. Today was seriously windy and cold (for Fla) Hopefully we will get better conditions tommorow. I probably sound like a baby but my joints scream in cold weather 55 and down.

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_135300528-1040x780.jpg
    IMG_20191217_135300528-1040x780.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 513
So when we arrived, just before the serious rain, my soul concern was to get the bikes under cover. Today was seriously windy and cold (for Fla) Hopefully we will get better conditions tommorow. I probably sound like a baby but my joints scream in cold weather 55 and down.
That’s a cute trailer. Room for a kitchen or do you cook outside?

That’s a cute trailer. Room for a kitchen or do you cook outside?
Thank you. We cook outside mostly, although my wife has one of those counter top stoves where the surface doesn't get hot, but food does..for reheats. We custom ordered this from Aliner. Our custom requests? Take out the stove, sink , plumbing and refrigerator and add two stab Jack's on the front corners. The folder fits inside perfectly.

Ebike tour of Natchez Trace Parkway, April 2021

We hit a weather window between spring storms and had a nice outing. This was touring-lite, we were looking to stop and look around often and have a fun outing rather than put the hammer down. As it turns out, it might have been as easy or easier with our road/hybrid bikes but I am glad we did it on our ebikes as it will lead to more trips together. The only thing that we carried were clothing layers, bike tools, water, and snacks. Most of the way there was a cell signal.

The road is in remarkably good condition, really ideal for road bikes and narrow tires. It has been a long time since I have biked a road in that good condition (we live in a state with beat up roads). There is a point of interest about every 10 miles. We did not stop at them all but I was happy that we stopped at many as I learned a little something at most of them and was not very familiar with that part of the country. Vicksburg was an driving side trip but some people have a bike side trip there. It is a very interesting park.

I am a clydesdale and hoped to get 50+ miles on a charge but we had 6 straight days of headwinds 5-15 mph. The most that I was able to get was 40 miles from a charge and the battery got lower than I normally allow it to go. In the absence of headwinds, I think I could have hit 50 miles. My wife is normal sized had no issues but also rode fewer miles overall. I have a Haibike Trekking and she has a Juiced CrossCurrent.

We had a small RV and took turns riding or driving. Given the rural setting, we charged via the RV, either generator or RV hookup.
I chose not to buy a second battery but bought one as soon as I got back as I hope to do more touring. It will take some of the pressure off range anxiety and allow us to go farther, when desired.

This was our first bike tour together and we considered it a success. No one will make an adventure film about this trip but it was fun and I learned more about the civil war, Kaintucks, Elvis and the Trail of Tears from it. We went south to north like the Kaintucks but I think more riders were going north to south.

With the exception of Jackson and Tupelo, traffic was light and considerate. Looked like a good motorcycle outing as well.

Ebike Likes- fenders (we only had one very short sprinkle but it could have been different), the battery came in handy when the headwinds got stiff, Schwalbe Marathons performed well, neither bike had any issues, ebikes are conversation starters, this would be a great supported trip with lighter road ebikes.

Ebike dislikes- the looks from the partners of hard-core bikers dragging their spouse along on this ride on a regular bike (I wanted to tell them that they were going downwind and it was not really that different but...), range anxiety without second battery, ideally my wife and I would have systems with compatible batteries, between myself and the bike I was pushing a lot of weight into the wind- that is mostly not a bike problem :)
The bike rack on the RV is fairly high and load/unloading bikes so that we could site-see after riding got a little old. Ebikes and batteries are getting lighter and will get more so but our bikes are older and heavier.

Ebike tour of Natchez Trace Parkway, April 2021

We hit a weather window between spring storms and had a nice outing. This was touring-lite, we were looking to stop and look around often and have a fun outing rather than put the hammer down. As it turns out, it might have been as easy or easier with our road/hybrid bikes but I am glad we did it on our ebikes as it will lead to more trips together. The only thing that we carried were clothing layers, bike tools, water, and snacks. Most of the way there was a cell signal.

The road is in remarkably good condition, really ideal for road bikes and narrow tires. It has been a long time since I have biked a road in that good condition (we live in a state with beat up roads). There is a point of interest about every 10 miles. We did not stop at them all but I was happy that we stopped at many as I learned a little something at most of them and was not very familiar with that part of the country. Vicksburg was an driving side trip but some people have a bike side trip there. It is a very interesting park.

I am a clydesdale and hoped to get 50+ miles on a charge but we had 6 straight days of headwinds 5-15 mph. The most that I was able to get was 40 miles from a charge and the battery got lower than I normally allow it to go. In the absence of headwinds, I think I could have hit 50 miles. My wife is normal sized had no issues but also rode fewer miles overall. I have a Haibike Trekking and she has a Juiced CrossCurrent.

We had a small RV and took turns riding or driving. Given the rural setting, we charged via the RV, either generator or RV hookup.
I chose not to buy a second battery but bought one as soon as I got back as I hope to do more touring. It will take some of the pressure off range anxiety and allow us to go farther, when desired.

This was our first bike tour together and we considered it a success. No one will make an adventure film about this trip but it was fun and I learned more about the civil war, Kaintucks, Elvis and the Trail of Tears from it. We went south to north like the Kaintucks but I think more riders were going north to south.

With the exception of Jackson and Tupelo, traffic was light and considerate. Looked like a good motorcycle outing as well.

Ebike Likes- fenders (we only had one very short sprinkle but it could have been different), the battery came in handy when the headwinds got stiff, Schwalbe Marathons performed well, neither bike had any issues, ebikes are conversation starters, this would be a great supported trip with lighter road ebikes.

Ebike dislikes- the looks from the partners of hard-core bikers dragging their spouse along on this ride on a regular bike (I wanted to tell them that they were going downwind and it was not really that different but...), range anxiety without second battery, ideally my wife and I would have systems with compatible batteries, between myself and the bike I was pushing a lot of weight into the wind- that is mostly not a bike problem :)
The bike rack on the RV is fairly high and load/unloading bikes so that we could site-see after riding got a little old. Ebikes and batteries are getting lighter and will get more so but our bikes are older and heavier.
Nice write up. My wife and I intend to go there this summer or this fall, also in a small rv. You could post some pictures...

Never biked the Trace but have camped and driven it. We are currently in the Badlands with all the beauty and severe weather one could want. Lost our bike cover Tuesday night around 12 midnight. Bikes were drenched and the storm ( typical) was intense. I let them dry out all yesterday and they seem to be fine.

IMG_20210609_133133009.jpg

Back