Watt Wagons Ultimate Commuter Pro

It would be nice if the right glue for gluing the belt back together was included in a bike at this price level. :)

I've been following this thread and although I'm not in the market for a bike currently, the price point seems to be spot on and appropriate looking at the various components being used. I myself took a Juiced Bike HF1000 and turned it into my version of the ultimate daily commuter. I'm almost sure that taking into account upgraded drivetrain, brakes, controller, seatpost, handlebars, suspension, etc., the total amount that I spent is somewhere near the price point of this bike. Plus at the end of the day this bike has the belt drive and Rollhoff hub. My only minor critique is the Suntour suspension, the newer air units seem to be of higher quality, but as for long term reliability and replacement parts, there doesn't seem to be as comprehensive support as RockShox or Fox. If I was to spend over $6k for a bike paying even a little extra for that would be acceptable.

Other than that, I hope this is successful venture!

I'm interested to see if this bike would be allowed to be programmed for power levels beyond 750w?

As far as I know all Bafang mid drives are user programmable using a $20 Bafang cable available all over the internet. They all have an internal controller which if I remember can be set up to 30 amps. 52V X 30 amps = 1560 watts.

I've never thought of that, is that recommended?
I don't know. Saw it mentioned somewhere and thought to myself "why not?" so I just did it. I did keep the spare handy, though. I understand that when a belt fails it is usually not because the teeth are worn out but because it snaps.

I'm sure someone will mention connecting the red and black battery cables together as a way to store the battery "safely"!

Ok maybe I shouldn't have said that. :oops:

edited - I am crossing it out just so i don't mistakenly support bike conspiracy theorists! :)

Last edited:
Yikes, I paid no attention until FeliZ pointed here. What a bike! Just worry about Bafang and their business model. Or what I see from them. Absolutely horrible parts support and even worse tracking of version changes. Including but not limited to varied controller chips, firmware, model upgrades without a documented path to repair earlier versions, many models now 5 years old are obsolete. Zero support of LBS repair and sales. We have a dozen vendors to keep current parts.
BUT!
I really like the motor. I really like Bafang motors. It’s perfect for this wowzer of an eBike. Jeebus! If it were crank forward, i’d be even more crushed.

A bike that makes me feel like a 12 year old drooling over the cool stuff in the latest Popular Science Magazine.

I do own 8 of the components. 1 more by brand.

I always encourage Bafang users to email Bafang and harass them to tears with email demanding parts support. An American company would be brutalized for operating similarly. Heck I’d even invest in an American factory building the same motors but with more consistent quality checks. Open source software and all off the shelf bearings. Until then we do all we can to keep an accessible parts stream. If it were a crappy design and mediocre performance they’d be gone. But even at a legal 750w and a mediocre 25A it’ll run circles around the “washing machine.” I kid. I respect Bosch, Yamaha, LR, and more. Even cyclone builds.

Last edited:
Although I agree that Bafang isn't the best if you consider customer service and support, but you can't deny the fact that Bafang Ultra is a beast.

You can boost it up to 2000W without too much problem. There's a comparison article between the BBSHD and Ultra, and they're not even close in terms of the size of motor.

Otherwise Yamaha or Bosch would make sense since they're more established and reliable, but the fact that the Bafang Ultra is a beast makes this bike more attractive. It really is in different league.

You make a lot of assumptions based on forum chatter, but generally get the drift. A beast isn’t what impresses me. Some builds shouldn’t have a “beast”, in my opinion. This drive for raw power is beginning to blur lines and moving more towards motorcyclists with crappy riding skills. Beast speeds are a threat to eBike acceptance. In my not so humble opinion. It’s dissapointing to watch Moon and their ilk pedal raw speed on bicycle brakes.

But in agreement,
I sell, support, ride, and have two new BBS01B to be built into folders. Easy to work on, very good performance, very good efficiency, and able to run 6000 miles without rebuild. Priced low too.

I’m very critical, but believe they are perfect kit motors. For those needing mid drives.

IF Bafang caries through with their Besst programs and actually supports a reseller... but unfortunately they are extremely profitable continuing as they are.

Still There’s a lot of happy riders. It’s very common for high mileage owners to upgrade entire motors. It works at their price point in the BBSxx series. It’s looking like the MAX series will follow suite.

Last edited:
Why don't you tell us what you really think Tom? You didn't let me down.
1564547640728.jpeg

dielectric grease on all connectors
Why not an agent that dries and protects. Dielectric is like petroleum jelly, IME, and messy. Boeshield, ACF50, and other similar compounds are finally getting acceptance beyond avionics and PTW (Powered Two Wheelers) use.

Still wide-eyed viewing this build. WOW. Feliz, just now read you're in!

Potential places to shave costs:
That would be a shame. Sadly it will never see my garage, but only because adventures took the place of investments as a youngster. I'll happily ride as I am. But, looking around at comparable bikes it soon becomes clear this is priced right. These two fellas have rocked it!

You should volunteer to be a good will ambassador for the watt wagon and bike the country coast to coast letting people try it

Back