Watt Wagons Ultimate Commuter Pro

Wouldn't a guard still be needed to keep your pants from being sucked up between the belt and the chainring?

There is no standard for a belt drive "guard", based on our conversations with Gates. On an ebike, there can be excessive "belt slap" due to higher than average speeds, and a full guard may adversely affect the performance of the belt. Hence no full guard.

Further, smaller front sprockets (e.g. Bosch) have a "bash guard". In our testing, with a larger front sprocket (we have 55T), having a bashguard
actually led to issues.

Turns out that having no bashguard for larger sprockets, and no "full guard" is actually better for belt drives.

Wouldn't a guard still be needed to keep your pants from being sucked up between the belt and the chainring?

On my 2019 Riese & Muller Homage Rohloff HS, it just has a circular chain-ring guard/retainer with nothing covering the top of the belt., I have gotten a pants cuff caught in the belt and nearly threw me off the bike (and really munched the cuff). I always wear a velcro ankle strap now with long pants. I would rather have a decent guard.

On my 2019 Riese & Muller Homage Rohloff HS, it just has a circular chain-ring guard/retainer with nothing covering the top of the belt., I have gotten a pants cuff caught in the belt and nearly threw me off the bike (and really munched the cuff). I always wear a velcro ankle strap now with long pants. I would rather have a decent guard.

That is good to know.

I haven't seen this with a larger sprocket and no bashguard - that appears to be the core issue. If you have a bashguard, things get stuck more often, atleast in our tests with the large sprockets.

I haven't seen this with a larger sprocket and no bashguard - that appears to be the core issue. If you have a bashguard, things get stuck more often, atleast in our tests with the large sprockets.

As my motor is a Bosch, it has the smaller front sprocket with the 2.5/1 internal motor gearing. The bash guard is for the sprocket not your trousers as far as I can tell.

@pushkar , what is the total weight on the Watt Wagon all kitted out? My Homage is 78 lbs. with dual batteries, Abus Alarm lock, rack etc. The Homage is about 8lbs. heavier than the Delight.

@pushkar , what is the total weight on the Watt Wagon all kitted out? My Homage is 78 lbs. with dual batteries, Abus Alarm lock, rack etc. The Homage is about 8lbs. heavier than the Delight.

1. Full bike without battery and ABus we are ~ 54lbs.
  2. With 880wh Battery (11lb) + larger than RM ABus BORDO lock (3.69lb ) you are looking at ~ 69lb.
  3. With a super large (1500Wh) battery (if you own a triange pack from EM3ev or similar) we will be at 53 + 19 + 3.69 ~76 or 77lbs.
edited: Added that the '1500Wh' is if you use your own triangle battery.

Last edited:
Here is the review (result of a simple search on this site) of the Supercharger https://electricbikereview.com/riese-muller/supercharger-gx-rohloff-hs/

The bike weighs 67 pounds with two batteries.

Thanks, I did a "simple" search but the site you linked to never came up. R&Ms site did come up but they don't list the weight.

So with a single battery the two bikes weigh the same.......I guess that's to be expected.

It's just a habit but whenever I ride any bike I use the old metal spring clamp I've worn around my pants since I was a kid in the forties, probably 45, I got it from my dad who had used it for years, I guess I'll just keep wearing it.

Last edited:
  1. Full bike without battery and ABus we are ~ 54lbs.
  2. With 880wh Battery (11lb) + larger than RM ABus BORDO lock (3.69lb ) you are looking at ~ 69lb.
  3. With a super large (1500Wh) battery we will be at 53 + 19 + 3.69 ~76 or 77lbs.

Pushkar, when will the larger battery be available?

Thanks, I did a "simple" search but the site you linked to never came up. R&Ms site did come up but they don't list the weight.

So with a single battery the two bikes weigh the same.......I guess that's to be expected.

It's just a habit but whenever I ride any bike I use the old metal spring clamp I've worn around my pants since I was a kid in the forties, probably 45, I got it from my dad who had used it for years, I guess I'll just keep wearing it.
The search I did was on the review side of this site. Just click on the EBR logo at the top to go to the review sites.

Those old spring ankle clips worked well and apparently last for decades...too cool.

I have never had to do that except with one road bike that I owned that had no guard. I was annoyed that this particular bike required an extra step and I finally got a new chainring on that bike to eliminate the issue.

I wear a reflective vest any time I’m bike riding and always buy the ones that have the reflective Velcro leg wraps with them

have not had an issue with my pants getting stuck in any of the chains but that may be because I always use these, a friend commented that she wanted to know where I bought those because she wanted to use them for her long pants...

Kind of hard to direct compare this bike with a R&M. The Watts Wagon has far more power and torque. Especially uncorked !

I agree! I wonder what the ( approximate) price difference between the Bosch and Ultra is, just the motor? I have bikes with both motors and there's no comparison.

For me, the only negative about the Watt Wagon is the display which is a great display but difficult to read in sunlight. I find the equivilant monotone display better for me but I'm 80 with poor vision so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I know I'm the minority here by saying this, but I don't know about this bike...

It looks too busy, like a DIY project.
Yes, I understand that if you look at the each component, they are good quality and all that...

I love the idea of Bafang Ultra powered commuter bike.
However for a bike in that price, I'd expect integrated or at least semi-integrated battery pack.
Yes, I did look at the spec sheet on last page with the comparison between R&M.

The Brooke saddle is very nice classic/vintage look to it.. but for this bike? Looks a bit out of place.
Rohloff hub is nice, but why is it red? I guess it could act as nice accent but from my view, it looks like it was added on.
Also those rubber bands to hold the front fenders...
And as I mentioned, the battery.. I don't know, I understand that each piece is nice, but when you just put all together?

Again, this is my personal opinion.. I hope the Watt Wagon sells well and looking at the reaction on this thread, I'm sure it will sell.

I find the obsession with trying to hide that someone is riding an ebike by integrating the batteries and the motors so well that the ebike looks like a tradition bike very strange, even irrational. One of the coolest things about motorcycles was how the motor was visually presented on the high end products.

Maybe the integration makes sense on e-mtn bikes but for urban mobility (ie a car supplement or replacement ebike) there isn't much merit and can even hold back on usage value. I'd like to see someone put a 1kwh or large battery in a downtube (possible but the downtube will be super huge).

One ebike I really like the styling of is the new Bultaco Brinco. It has a good rider geometry but looks very much like a motorcross or trials motorcyle. I tend not to think full suspension in needed on an urban ebike but I like the look of that ebike enough that I'd put street tires on it and just enjoy the slightly added comfort while blowing by all the "integrated ebikes."

Don't take this entirely wrong... I do like the style and cosmetics of the integrated ebikes but it has no real value (and arguably makes them harder to service).

Last edited:
Those bikes are hideous, you like those bikes yet you don't like a red hub? lol I guess this thread needed a bit of humour.

I like retro, I was successful restoring and racing vintage motorcycles most of my life but those bikes are just plain wrong.

Last edited:
I agree. I'd rather have a big integrated battery but it's not really feasible with today's tech. So, compromises are part of the game. I'd like to dial one up to around 2500 watts and go for a cruise ! Is there a limit on the Rohloff ?

Back